Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help removing Mikuni needle valve

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 12:44 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help removing Mikuni needle valve

The problem - I came in from a ride Sat. on my Arctic Cat and decided to add some fuel stabilizer to it and my Beartracker. Fired up the BT, pulled it out of the garage. Added the stabilizer and toped off the tank. Decided to let it idle to warm up to burn of the fuel in the lines and carb. After a few minutes it just shut down like I turned the key off.

The diagnosis - I could not get it to restart. Good spark, good fuel flow out of the tank. I even drained the tank and filled back up with fresh fuel. I opened the float bowl drain, no gas came out. Humm, looks like no fuel. I pulled the air filter and shot some starting fluid in, she fired up till the starting fluid was used up.

Where I am now - I guessed the floats were stuck or the valve was hung closed. I pulled the carb and removed the float bowl. If I try to blow through the fuel inlet port with the carb right side up (floats down) I can not get air in. I figure I should as this would be where the valve was opened to let fuel in the bowl. I take a look at the valve tip and see it only moves through about 1/4 of the travel of the little metal contact pad on the float. I appears to be sticking closed.

The question - How do I get that bugger out? I see a screw next to the valve body but there is no clear shot at it past the platic bits attaching the 2 floats together. The pin that the float pivots on looks to be staked in or is is just pressed in? Can I drive it out with a drift so that I can get the float out and have access to the valve for removal and cleaning?

Thanks,

Brent

Old 12-21-2004, 07:52 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help removing Mikuni needle valve

??