Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Race Result

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2000, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would classify myself as an "average" rider, and I can almost guarantee that 400EX I see at the race track in Sugargrove ($15000 from TC Racing) would smoke my up and coming Raptor. I firmly believe that the rider, not the machine, makes most of the difference.

I'm not going to let that get me down, at least when I hit a dead end on a trailhead, I won't have to get off the bike anymore. THAT SUCKS.

For all intents and purposes, Yamaha Guys like Yamaha's, Honda Guy's like Honda's, and there is probably some person on Planet Earth that thinks his Suzuki King Quad would outpace a Raptor or 400EX. I just like reading about it

I wonder, what would be the slowest Quad ever produced. Nice Award that would make huh? We should get dirtwheels on that one.

Pondering.......

Old 09-11-2000, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Dear Dirtwheels,

I have a 2001 Yamaha Raptor, since apparently it only outruns race modified hondas on a MX straight away, I was wondering what I could do to modify the Battery powered Gorilla quad featured in your magazine a few months back to pull ahead? I know I will save a lot of money since the gorilla has no suspension and it will not have any problems clearing the doubles with its 500lbs of batteries. I have access to a certified electrician and some wire crimps so I am ready to modify. Maybe I can get some new batteries or rewind the motor in exchange for my raptor. What do you think.

Sincerely,
I B Stupidly

Old 09-12-2000, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

OK seriously, I have kept my raptor kind of under wraps locally. Everyone knows I have it, but Im not going to go rip on it infront of every one until I feel its broken in right. Besides the guy with a piped and ported banshee I raced, everyone is just going off of his hearsay. This weekend is my 3 day weekend. So i guess we will let some people see it and maybe try some flat tracking if I can Sag the suspension low enough for the Track.
I keep getting asked stuff like:
#1 Is it any better than my 400ex with a pipe? no it cant be.
#2 Its going to be too heavy to jump anything with an engine that size.
#3 Its not faster than a Banshee is it?
#4 Well my 400ex has a filter and jet kit, blah blah blah.
#5 Its a 4 stroke why didnt you just build a race warrior or buy a stock 400ex?
#6 Isnt it made for just riding on wide open spaces like for herding camels in egypt?
#7 It cant handle any better than my brand x its too tall and narrow!
#8 It cant be worth that much money.
#9 Why didnt you buy a DS if you just want a big engine?
#10 does it wheelie at all?I bet its all top end.

Well I know the answers to all of these and more
I bet some of you guys know also.
I just have a Big Smile on my face! and I
Cant wait to let them have a little frowny face

Old 09-12-2000, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

You stated your opinion/observation, and he stated his. It seems to me that everybody here jumped on him for it. Also, what exactly is the guy writing to dirt wheels trying to say? Doesn't even sound like arguing or flaming, just He B'ing Stupid.