Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I got my Raptor 1 month earlier than I expected....IT ROCKS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2000, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't expecting my Raptor until the end of Oct. or Nov., but because of an unusual happening that I can't go into detail about, I got it today.

This is what I can say about it so far.

First, I can say that it is 100 times better than expected. I had gotten to the point of thinking a little negative about it with all the talk that I've read, but that has all been disregarded after a ride.

Although I haven't rode it a lot, I can tell you this. It does have gobs of torque! You can let it lug as low as possible in first gear until the point that the engine almost dies and then gas it and it comes to life instantly with the wheels shooting to the sky. Second gear is almost as bad. You can lug it in second and then gas it and feel the engine pumping out the power with every stroke. Before long, it has ran up enough that it is delivering enough power to bring the wheels skyward again.

I don't notice the light flywheel as much as others have talked about. The technician and the dealer both rode it after asking me (I was there for the assembly of it) and they both killed it. I slipped the clutch just like I would on my old banshee and had no problems.

Reverse is geared insanely high, but after you get used to it, it's not a problem and may even be beneficial if you get stuck and need some speed to back out of where you're at.

I don't notice any unusual vibration in the bars as mentioned by a few other owners.

The suspension is like floating. I jumped a small railroad crossing on a gravel road by my house. It's pretty smooth, but with my Banshee, it still had a thud to the landing. On this, I barely even felt like I left the ground.

I can't wait to get it broke in and see what kind of top end it has, but just from the short burst of speed in 4 and 5, I feel it is very comparable to the Banshee that I had. Probably faster than the when I ran a Moto-Fast pipe and about even or close with the LRD pipes, but with better take off and more torque.

I ride in the woods and this is going to be THE ultimate woods machine. Expect big things from it in the GNCC. I let another guy ride it at the dealership. His brothers race modded 440ex(s) on the GNCC circuit and he said it felt as strong or stronger than a well built 440.

Old 09-11-2000, 09:55 PM
Range Rover

ALRIGHT BASH!!
I am glad that you got it!
I am first on the list!! Still never got it!!
What the heck! The wait is killing me! I have black and white coming like Bash's raptor!
Black and white looks BAD ***!! whoa! I really love that picture!!

please report back more about how you like it!

Wolverine16
99 Wolverine (for sale)
01 Raptor....any time now!!
00 Arctic Cat ZR600 carb

Old 09-11-2000, 09:56 PM
Range Rover

Bash
Congrats!!!! but ya got to tell us how you got it so soon!!!

Old 09-11-2000, 10:23 PM
Banned

I know the feeling wolverine. I can hardly wait myself. Bash, let me know how the Raptor is going up hills. I heard from a lot of folks here on the forum that 1st ans 2nd gear are to tall to go up steep inclines without increasing the RPM's. Can you please let me know what your take is on this.

Thanks,

Old 09-11-2000, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Let's just say that confusion can be your friend at times... that and hauling booty to the local dealer before the confusion is all sorted out! (I was 3rd in line originally!)

I'll update you on the hill situation as soon as possible. Really, 1st gear doesn't seem high to me after switching from a Banshee. It's true that 2nd is a big jump, but as long as you're on the gas when going from 1st to 2nd, it's like Cap'n Kirk giving the Okay for warp drive. As mentioned, you can lug 2nd, but really, this think loves to run.

Don't expect any dune reviews from me since I'm in KY, but I'll give trail reviews and other reports on coal and dirt bank climbing ASAP.

Oh, you have not saw any pictures of the swingarm that do it justice. It is absolutely a work of art!

Old 09-11-2000, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

About the hill thing, I rode mine in 5th gear up a steep hill that on any previous bike I would have had to gear down on . It cruised right on up without lugging, I wasnt into the throttle just at cruising speed and it went right up and over, other bikes would have been shifting down to 4th or 3rd. I think what other people are doing is that some of the steeper hills are being climbed by lugging 2nd gear, because they are afraid to shoot the hill. 2nd gear will get you moving very fast. probably faster than they want to go up something yet. If they pin the throttle I can guarantee it will climb anything. you have 9000rpms available for a reason, to use them.

Old 09-12-2000, 12:47 AM
Range Rover

Hey Scott! That's great! I was expecting you to wait! Man, it is an awesome looking ride! I love the fact that their isn't a ton of stickers taking up the plastic space, that's what I love about my quad, the lack of stickers all over it!

Later,

Jason

Old 09-12-2000, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

You lucky, lucky dog!! I WANT MINE NOW!!!

Old 09-12-2000, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

YaMaRaPtoR, My Raptor simply would not climb a sand dune in second gear without a long run at it. I would rap out 1st and shift to second before hitting the incline, and the thing would almost die before getting to the top. Maybe because of the paddles getting to much traction, but I could get no wheel spin. I jumped on my buddies 400ex and it took me straight to the top in 2nd gear. Granted the Raptor would do fine in 1st without stalling, but the Honda is geared way lower and lets you use the gears. I should have my sprocket on this weekend and I will try it again.

Old 09-12-2000, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, whats that laying to the left of your Raptor, a wheelie bar??? He he,ha ha!!!

Quick Reply: I got my Raptor 1 month earlier than I expected....IT ROCKS!