Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor GPS Top Speed Results Are In!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2000, 08:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, that would stand to reason but I don't think that I've felt anything to do with the ignition. I think what I've felt, if anything, would be carb controlled. It doesn't start skipping, cutting out or anything. I wonder if the throttle isn't over-ridden in 4th and 5th at a certain rpm to limit the power as to keep the speed down. Sorta like a cruise control that you have no control over.

I'm so curious now that I almost wanna get up, drive to where I keep my toys and experiment. Sorry, got other things I have to attend to at the moment. I'll try to make time to do it tomorrow.

Old 09-12-2000, 08:24 PM
Range Rover

Well, that almost sounds like you are at the end of the power band, not a limiter. I am not aware of any type of carb based limiter ever used...on anything. I think cutting the spark is really the only way to limit an engine. (safely)

Someone needs to dyno one of these raptors.

As suggested by someone else, remove the spark arrestor and retest top speed. If it increases, then it isn't a limiter.

Old 09-12-2000, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

I was wondering if the same TORS system is on the Raptor that is on the Banshee? I know that my friends 2000 banshee wasn't running right and wouldn't start half of the time. He took it to a guy who knows alot about banshees and he took all of that electrical garbage off, and now the thing starts first or second kick, and it runs a whole lot better. I might take my Raptor to this guy and see what he thinks.

Old 09-12-2000, 08:49 PM
Range Rover

On the 400EX if you loosen up the carb you will see that if you hold it at *full throttle* the slide doesnt disappear from sight up into the body of the carb. You can still see pat of the slide through the carb opening, therefore you arent really acheiving full throttle, I think they had it open only to about 65% on the 400EX. This could be the very same reason why the Raptor isnt acheiving full throttle as well.

A simple carb adjustment is just necessary in order to get the carb slide to move up and out of sight and guess what *FULL THROTTLE*

Old 09-12-2000, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys we dont have a throttle limiter screw to turn out do we? What about TORS I bet we have that to cut off? Any one try with the spark arrestor and off and the airbox lid off?

Old 09-12-2000, 10:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't think there is any limiter on the Raptor other than the carburetion, pipe, torque and gearing!!! If you have excessively tall gearing for the amount of upper RPM torque available, acceleration will slow way down above the RPM where peak torque occurs in 4th gear, and 5th gear may have little if any acceleration. This is what is happening people. Unfortunately, I think lowering the countershaft sprocket one tooth will lose around 2-3 MPH on the topend, but it may be worth it.

Old 09-12-2000, 10:13 PM
Range Rover

I really don't have anything to add at this point. I just want to commend everyone to keeping to the subject and not turning an excellent post into another pi**ing match! This is what the forum rooms were designed for. Keep up the good work guys!

Old 09-12-2000, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

I think there is a throtle limiter screw on the back of the thumb throttle housing. Will some body go undo one of there carb boots and check if the carbs are opening up all of the way. I would check but i am 150 miles away from home at college so i can't. Keep up the excellent post, i enjoy reading mature posts, and not all of that kiddie garbage

Old 09-12-2000, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

I have one thing to add, Apparently test versions(preproduction) where faster right? Atleast the magazines thought so saying it would go into the 80 mph range. Also they felt it would run off and leave a DS. And pull 2 more teeth on the sprocket. We know it is limited and we also know that it is universally jetted.
It was very apparent to me that 4th and 5th had a pre limit to the RPM. so is it a throttle stop, a rev limit box, or speed sensor? What would 22 inch tires do to a speed sensor wouldnt it effectively allow more speed but at the same time allow it to rev higher than with 20 inch tires to compensate because it thinks it is not going as fast, when actually it is going faster? also wouldnt the same be true for upping the teeth on the sprocket if it is an engine based speed sensor It would allow more rpms to pull up to what its speed should be with 13 teeth but if you had say 16 you would be going way faster.

Old 09-12-2000, 11:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

The yamaha raptor has dual 33mm mikuni carbs. The warrior has roughly half the cc's and has a single 36mm carburetor which gives the low tech warrior better breathing per cc than the supposedly high tech Raptor motor. The Raptor motor is a single overhead cam. The overall design of the motor and carburetor leads me to think that although it has a 9000-rpm redline, the motor is not designed to reach that limit unless under an extremely light load. The carburetors and exhaust seem to be the most likely candidates for the low rpm's in top gears. I'll bet it'll only hit the redline in 1st and 2nd gears, and possibly third on pavement. I'll guess the HP tapers off quickly past 7000 rpm, similar to what the DS650 would do without the rev limiter and all else left stock. I'll have to wait for a dyno chart to verify that hypothesis. That suits me fine since when I get my Raptor, I plan to reduce the countershaft sprocket size and use it for mostly trail riding. It's still a great overall machine. I'm not interested in hitting 80 mph with any machine with that short of a wheelbase and stance. I hope to live a few more years.

Quick Reply: Raptor GPS Top Speed Results Are In!!!