Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wolverine gear oil problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wolverine gear oil problem

I HAVENT HAD THAT PROBLEM YET BUT IT SURE SOUNDS LIKE IM GUNNA HAVE IT SOON......BUT WOULD THAT HAPPEN MAYBE CUZ UR RUNNIN IT TO HARD

Old 01-03-2005, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

Whenever I'd go fast on a cold day I'd start to smell the gear oil. Its not too bad on a hot summer day unless I'd have it flying in fifth gear for a couple hundred yards.

Old 01-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer

I've not had this problem on either diff. I even raise the end i'm serviceing up to about a 30 deg. angle to refill. and breather tubes are connected properly and routed properly up frame. In front I use a synthetic lube for limited slip diff. from o'reillys, sdame as in truck. The rear I use castrol full synthetic gear lube for boat lower unit. 1 1/2 year and never a blow out of oil, even in winter snow-hard ridding something to try

---------dale

Old 01-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

reroute the vent line, extend it or cut it so it dont dump on the exhaust

Old 01-03-2005, 11:31 PM
Range Rover

I also run GL4/5 full synthetic gear oil front and rear. I also run my quad very hard summer and all winter long. For the most part I only had oil spewing after a gear oil change but this eliminated it all together. As for just rerouting the lines, they put them by the air intake because that should be the last place on the quad to see water. If you just reroute your lines you'll just have a mess somewhere else and when your warm diff. hits cold water it will draw some up the vent tube and contaminate your fluids.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:13 PM
Range Rover

thanks for the splice tip,i see im not alone. and also the foam is gone from the oil.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I solved this problem on my Wolverine by adding a small model airplane fuel tank (2 oz.) between the rear axle and the end of the vent tube. It works just like the coolant recovery tank on your car's radiator. If gear lube gets pushed up the line, it stays in the small tank untill the rear axle cools off and then it is drawn back into the gear housing where it belongs. No smell, no mess, no loss of lube, no contamination in the lube, and no low lube level in the gear housing.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Trailblazer

I'm also having a problem with the rear end on my Wolvey and I'm hoping you guys can help. I seem to be getting water in the rear end all the time. I've checked every where I could and replaced the washers on the fill and drain bolts. There is no oil leaking out any where and I can't figure out how the h2o is getting in. After reading this I'm thinking the vent tube some how? It's attached and goes up to the air box. Any ideas of where I should be looking?

Old 01-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got the same problem,, seem to get water in the rear diff,, and dont ride in water,, where is it coming from

Old 01-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

Hotrod and Ganz... make sure you've checked your rear differential bearings. don't just shake the bike back and forth, put it up on a jack and get the tires off the ground.. then grab the wheels and try to push one forward and pull the other backwards, then switch. If you notice any movement, it's too much and the likely source of your water entry will be bad seals around the axle. The seals usually go out if the bearings have begun to have too much play.

It is also possible that the bearings are ok, but the seals have given up the ghost prematurely. This would be much easier of a repair than if the bearings are out as well.

If you have verified that there isn't any way the water could have gotten into your differential via the vent tube, these are the only other explainations.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: wolverine gear oil problem