Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bearclaws or Mudlites??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005 | 03:33 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Bearclaws or Mudlites??

Chillin;
So the mudlights don't ride so good on hardpack? That's good info, since I ride flat hardpack quite a bit in the off-season.
I do as much trail riding as time will allow-(Probably once or twice a week), but you know how it goes. I would almost rather give up a tiny bit of traction, so I don't have to ride "tractor tires" on hardpack when I'm doing that. Don't need what's left of my brain bounced out because of rough riding tires.
As long as the Bearclaws will bite on rock-(and not puncture), get adequate grip in mud/snow, and ride even "fairly" smooth, I think I'm all about swapping my stock Maxxis rubber for a set of those.
Thanks man.

Old 01-05-2005 | 03:45 AM
Pro Rider

all mine are 25". I don't think the alleged power loss would be that noticeable on 26". they are a 25" tire with deeper lugs.i was worried about changing my height. i don't think many here will have first hand experience with BOTH brands. they'll have had one and heard stuff about the other. I can second that the Claws feel fine on hard pack. Most of the mudlite guys have claimed those tires are great on hardpack. on a side note, a softer tire allegedly grips the rocky stuff better.

I guess i wanted to leave the second set virgin in case i decide to sell them. maybe i should try them to see if i have a preference. another factor for me is I got c-series rims which changed my off-set so i have a wider stance now. I think i like that feel better as it seems less tippy. the price is sure right for the Claws tho!! check out rockymountainatv.com for the Claw prices.

Old 01-05-2005 | 09:52 AM
Range Rover

i put 25" bearclaws on shortly after i got my kodiak. i too was thinking "wow, i can't wait to try these out." well, they really don't clean that well in the thick pasty mud. over rocks they do very well. i still am experimenting with the tire pressure,gradually dropping it down, currently running 4 in rear/4.5 lbs. in front. as far as "roll", i put my rims on at the same time so i can't really give an opinion on tires alone. as far as toughness, these things seem bullet proof and offer great bead protection, in fact the last time i rode i had a sharp slate of rock in between the rim and tire. it was in there so far i had to get pliers and work it out. i bet it was probably 2" in there. if i had to do it all over again, i would definitely get the 26", power loss won't be that noticeable, but tread and traction will be. i wanted a tire that was a well-rounded performer, which i think the bearclaw is, just not as good in the mud as i had hoped, at least not yet.

Old 01-05-2005 | 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

I went with 25" mud lites and they are small. Look at the Bear Claws but I would go for the 26" tire next time. Mt Wetlands are 26's and I'm very happy with th size of them.

Old 01-06-2005 | 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

downndirty, i run mine at 3lbs. they still seem too stiff at that.

Old 01-06-2005 | 10:01 AM
Trailblazer

Mud Lites do not ride rough on hard pack or dirt roads at all because of the center tread line down the middle. For the people that say they ride rough it would be interesting to know what air pressure they run in them. On my 26" Lites I run 4 lbs both front and rear and they have a great ride. If you are going to go with 25" ITP has just released a XL (deep lug) version of the Mud Lite in 25" size and if you go with 26" I would recommend getting the 9" wide for the front.

Old 01-06-2005 | 09:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

they ride rough compared to a stock trail tire. Thats where the comparison comes from.

Old 02-27-2006 | 12:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

New to the forum and having the same dilemma you had last year. So Did you go with the Bearclaws? What size and are you happy with what you got. Sounds like we ride in similar conditions.

Old 02-27-2006 | 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

I have 25" Mud Lite XL's on my Bruin, and love them. THey have a TON of traction, and I can go places in 2wd with the mud lites that I had trouble with in 4wd before. My dad has 26" Mud Lites on his Twin Peaks, and they have held up great too.

Old 02-27-2006 | 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

I love my Mudlites but they do wear fast. We have a oil and chipped road we live on and have no choice but to ride on it. My next tire will be 589's, they wear like iron.

Quick Reply: Bearclaws or Mudlites??