Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ATV Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Newbie questions

There hasn't been much mention of the scrambler 4x4 with optional AWD. When I think of trail riding I think of ruts and mud holes and some really sticky messes. If that is the trail riding you intend to do I woud definitely think more about the scrambler. Where we ride we hate to see a two wheel drive of any kind because we spend too much time pulling them out of everything. The scrambler may not be as sporty as the others but the AWD will pull you out of some pretty nasty situations if you happen to get into them. One way of deciding is to see what your buddies are riding. As long as everyone is 2 wheel drive you won't be left behind.

Just my opinion.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

That is a good point. I understand that the 2005 scrambler is the first with 2 wheel/4 wheel? I guess I wanted the 2 wheel so I could go screaming fast at other times and do wheelies, burnout kinda stuff... but maybe AWD is more my style.... I mean.. It will still HAUL!!!

I actually almost got a scrambler back in 2003... yeah yeah, maybe its the better choice... I like that sport/Ut type. but I hate sqaure quads.

I am having trouble finding any websites that do scrambler mod's... you know of any?

Old 01-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

try aaenperformance.com they do alot of mods for the scrambler

Old 01-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know how fast you want to go, but a stock 500 will pull wheelies and go 55-60 mph. If you are really into mods then I would go with an 00-02 scrambler 400 2-stroke. You can make them scream. Do some searches in this forum for mods to the 500 4 stroke. Most everyone will tell you how to make them get a better hole shot. And polaris (scramblers) has been making 2wd/4wd for more then 10 years. It is a very solid set up. Also I image you get some snow up in BC so 4wd works great in that stuff.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

So all the 4x4 scrambler's can disengage to 2 wheel?

Old 01-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

Yes scramblers are great quads,you dump a few mods into them and they really come to life.They are great for cruising the trails or ripping them apart and get some mods and you'll be wheelieing all day long.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

banshee's are fine in the woods, granted their not as good as a four stroke, but they'll definatly make you a better rider. You can also do things to them that would give them a little more bottom end grunt, so the woods situation is allmost non-existant, like a dynoport/motofast 2-into-1 pipe, and you could try a 1-into-2 trinity carb setup. I'm redoing mine for the woods this winter, i'm down to a bare frame right now, its gonna get blasted and powdercoated, and i'll post pics if anyone is interested, but send me a personal message if you have any questions.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

the scrambler 500 has more than enough power stock for trail riding. itll pull wheelies, and i can get around 63-65 out of mine in a 1/4 mile. the only complaint id have with getting a banshee is that it doesnt like to be lugged down as much in the technical spots... im not saying it cant. it can, BUT, it will be much harder than the scrammy.

Old 01-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Interesting question...

Of course it depends on where you ride. I have a Warrior and love it. The engine is pretty much the same as the Wolverine engine. Most people basically see teh Wolverine as a 4x4 version of a Warrior. Add a Warn 424 kit (disengages the front) and you've got a slightly slow Warrior.

Though both the Warrior and Banshee have 350cc (roughly) motors, they are two different animals. Warrior is a 4 stroke single. The Banshee is a 2-stroke twin pulled from the old Yamaha RD-350 street bike. It has a high-end hit. I've never ridden one. I've been offered but didn't feel comfortable at the time in riding it. The Banshee can be tuned to do what you want. You can get pipes that help with the low, mid or high end. Porting can be done to match what you are doing. I rode once with a guy on some trails (Hungry Valley SVRA in California ... "Gorman") and he loved his Banshee up there. Road more there than anywhere else. Tires proved it. Almost gone.

I agree with the other person who said the Warrior...err...Rap 350 is overpriced. They should drop it down close to $4000 I think. It's a nice into-intermediate bike. I'd like more after having my bike for 2 years. But I'd probably just get myself into trouble on trails. It's kind of a dog in the dunes if you ever plan a trip to any. They have a nice low-end grunt. The wieght is forward so they are stable climbing hills (won't flip over as easily as a more ballanced and powerful bike like a Rap 660). They've been around for ever without any motor changes so it's bullet proof.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 01-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Trailblazer

I like my Banshee for trails, not having reverse is really the only downfall. As long as it is not built for top end peaky performance, such as a drag setup it will do fine. I ride with a friend that has a Raptor 660 and there has not been anyplace he could go and I could not.

Quick Reply: ATV Newbie questions