Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ATV Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Newbie questions

Hi, I tried search, but came up with no good explanations...

I'm thinking about getting an ATV this year. My friend had a wolverine that I rode on a couple occasions and loved the experience...

I didn't really want to go out and spend a bunch of cash for a Raptor. My main focus will be trail riding I guess, and just bootin across fields, etc. countryside activity.

Two quads I'm considering are the Banshee (its cheaper) and the scrambler 500 (4x4 with disengage). I didn't really want an AWD cause I want to goof around too and wont be tackling that huge of hills or mud.

Now for the questions... someone said something about banshee's and kronic engine issues? are they THAT bad?

Any other Idea's on good quads that dont hit the $9,500 - 10,000 CAD mark?

I want on that I can mod a bit too, exhaust... compression (if needed). not that i'm going for 70MPH though either...

whats the Rapton 350 like? is it gutless for hills? i noticed there arent many mods for it...

ok, last question...
where do you get these turbo/superchargers i have heard of? do they exist?

thanks a lot, I appreciate someone helping me out a bit here.

Old 01-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off the raptors are pretty cheap nowadays. Most easily under 6k US. I think the polaris is more expensive than that anyway.

The banshee doesnt have any engine problems, they are very reliable and even the most inept rider can maintain one. I know of plenty of banshees that are 4 or more years old without doing so much as changing fluids and cleaning the filter.

The raptor 350 is a rebadged warrior, same engine, same frame, some mild improvements that dont warrant the steep price tag. There are plenty of upgrades availible for it but most are just labeled warrior upgrades since they have the same components.

The shee will go 70mph stock, raptor 350 closer to the low 60's and probably the same for the scrambler 500.

There are quite a few turbochargers out there, maybe one or two superchargers since they dont seem to work as well. A turbo will easily run 3500-4000 dollars US and go up in price, which is only for the parts and doesnt include installation. KMS, Mr. Turbo, and a few other shops have them but usually only make them for high end machines like the raptor 660 and banshee.

Old 01-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alright,

I was wondering whether the banshee would stand up to trail riding... I dont want to worry about no power or torque zooming through bc's trails... but I'm not going to cry about it either, i'm not saying "oh then i'll go with a raptor since it has more torque". If the Banshee will still get the job done then thats music to my ears since its cheaper. I was looking at Alba's site and they have that intake/exhaust performance pack kit or whatever that they say will make another 16hp or so... that sounds good to me!

what advantage does the twin make in the banshee? comparing a 350 single to a 350 twin, what will be the difference? Are all the years the same engine basically?

Old 01-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't buy a Banshee for the trails. Banshee's like to run wide open, and it takes a second for them to wind up. Raptor has lots of torque for the trails, and you will have instant power.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Range Rover

To my knowledge the banshee hasnt changed much, if any, since its production.

From my personal experience, the banshee is not a trail bike. For tight trails, the torque of my raptor is the ultimate trail quad, plus reverse is extremely handy. The banshee is not meant to be lugged around through tight trails, that is if you want to trail ride.

Like maddog said, the price of raptors have came down since the arrival of the 450. Dont know about canada, but I know i could get a new raptor here for not much over 5K. I paid 5800$ for mine brand new in 2002.

Have you ever ridden a banshee??

Old 01-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

No, all I have ridden is a wolverine...

I'm not really looking for the ultimate torque monster... but... it looks like its all or nothing in the quad world.

I was reading that rap vs pred post... i dunno.. i might be more partial to the pred...

Its just that these quads they still want $9200+ in canada for... i'll have to find something used...
you can get a new banshee for $7000 here

Old 01-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Range Rover

Nothing is cheap in the ATV industry, thats for sure. If you primarily trail ride, I honestly dont think the banshee is for you. On the other hand, you may love it. I would suggest riding the banshee first before buying it, if possible. You have to keep the RPMs up to stay in the power on the banshee, hard to do on tight trails.

As for the predator, its a very nice machine and I have ridden my buddies a little. I think its extremely uncomfortable in the way you sit. It throws you on the gas tank. I felt like a jockey riding a thoroughbred while riding it. I know i couldnt trail ride it all day. Plus the predator doesnt seem to have low end, has plenty up top though.

HAve you thougth about the suzuki z400? its extremely comfortable and has reverse plus its an excellent trail bike. Just doesnt have the power of others.

lol my overall advice personally is to test a banshee since you are definitely leaning that direction. Plus look into the z400 prices.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

you cant beat the thrill of a banshee though but if you never ridden one i would say ride one before you go out and buy it because as far as trail rideing goes it would be hard to beat the on tap power of a four stroke and you can not lug around on no 2 stroke for to long unless you got plenty of spark plugs.

Old 01-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

I'd look into maybe getting a used 300 or 400ex or maybe a z250 or z400... They're all fairly quick... good trail quads, and have some pep to them as well. I don't recommend the banshee for trail riding....

My buddy has a `05 predator, and I'm not too fond of it... the front end seems way light... The shocks are really nice on them though... I just don't like how you sit on it...

Old 01-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Seems like there is a lot of personal taste to all the quads...

Alright, well, i was just partial to the banshee for the pricepoint and the mod's available...

I guess I am just scared that I'll get something that will lack... using the Wolverine as a benchmark... i liked it.. he had bigger tires on it and lots of accessories (winch) So i guess that slowed it down... I liked the feel, but felt it had a little more to be desired...
I'm guessing all these other quads will have more power than the wolvering and weigh less...

AHHH!!! its driving me crazy!! Raptors aren't even that much more than z400, etc... i might as well just flip an extra G bill!!!

Quick Reply: ATV Newbie questions