Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

GRIZZLY OR RUBICON?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2000, 06:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this earlier but I have not seen it up. Anyways I also put this up on the Honda post. I just sold one of our machines today and am going to replace it right away and I was wondering about the Grizzly. I was a little concerned about the machine overheating and also was wondering about the air cleaner set-up. I had a Warrior a few year ago and it was not the best design out there.(the air cleaner) Is the Grizzly the same? Also are the fairly nice riding. I had a 450es and it was kind of rough riding. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-13-2000, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

They both weigh 600lbs, Both have over 10" clearance(0.6 more on the grizz). 5.0 gallon tank on the grizz and 4.7 on the rubicon. The rubicon retails for $200 more. The Grizz has the extra 100 cc's BUT the Rubicon is a liquid and liquids usually work better cc for cc. IMHO the rubicon probably has a better transmission. I really like the idea of the hydrostatic or whatever they're calling it. I wonder if the honda has HI/LO range?? Anyway.. being a Kodiak owner I'd like to say go with the grizz but I REALLY like the rubicon. I think I'd put my $$ on the Rubicon over the grizz. But A test run would be a must.

--edit--
BTW, the rubicon has a 3rd head light on the handle bars, nicer rims, and looks much nicer in my opinion. But of course not as nice as my Kodiak!

Blue 2000 Kodiak 4X4, Fully Loaded
http://photos.yahoo.com/y2kerplunk

Old 09-13-2000, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

I really don't know anything about the Rubicon, other then its awfully spendy. The new tranny set-up sounds pretty good in theory. Don't know how it works though. But since it is a "new" design and this is the first year in production, I'd be alittle leary about it. As for the Griz overheating? Horse sh*t! I've been riding mine all summer long in 90+ degree temps. Riding it pretty hard also, and it has never overheated! The fan on the oil cooler kicks on from time to time, and does a great job of keeping it cool. Water cooling is better then air most of the time. In my opinion though, its not as well suited to heavy off road use! Those limbs and sticks find their way into the most unlikely spots. With my luck they would find a way into my radiator. Power! There is no substitute! The griz has more power, and for me thats all that matters! I can't imagine spending more money on a less powerful quad! I guarantee you a Griz will put a bigger smile on your face!