Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

disgusted with a single stripped lug nut

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disgusted with a single stripped lug nut

I have been fighting with one stripped stock lug nut on my raptor 660. i just purchased a new set of lug nuts for the beast. i bought a set of steel hardware store metric nuts with lock washers. i got everyone off but one. this is where im at with this night mare nut problem. at first i tried a set of vise grips and tried to remove it that way. i discovered they were to big so i purchased a smaller set. as i kept trying to take it off i kept stripping it further. i sprayed it with wd40 and i slightly moved the nut. but im loosing pieces of the nut to grip. i just bought a chisel and now im going to try it as well. if that don't work im going to heat the bolt with a propane torch and continue to chisel it. i also tried hammering a socket on the stripped out lug nut. that didn't work either. anyone else have this problem with their stock lug nuts. i swear they are made out of cheese

04 raptor 660
lots of mods

Old 01-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I would try using the chisal to cut new grooves around the perimeter of the nut and pound a socket over the new grooves. You could also use a large set of vise grips on the nut pointing straight out. Next, you could use another pair of vise grips or maybe some large channellocks to turn the vise grips attached to the nut. Some heat will help the situation no doubt.
Gary

Old 01-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

I hate those aluminum nuts [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Heat has got me out of alot of jams. Heat that sucker up.

Old 01-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Range Rover

Done the hammer a socket over it trick before but it will most likely ruin the socket. Hit a Sears and get a set of those 'Rusted nut remover" things Bob Villa has been pushing. They are basicaly a socket but with hardened / sharpened groves (kind of like rifeling) on the inside. They are cut in such a way that a left hand turn (Lefty = Loosey!!) cincnes them down and makes them bite in. I want to say the set is like $20 for 4 or 5 of them in different sizes.

I ended up just finding the link:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00952161000

Here is the link for the search that retunred all 5 of the Craftsman brand sets:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/searc...=searchresults

If for some reason if it does not work the item number is (www.sears.com, click the Tools tab then search on the item number):

5pc set Sears item #00952160000 Mfr. model #52160
10pc Set Sears item #00952166000 Mfr. model #52166

Good luck

brent

Old 01-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

When you do get somthing to fit, try using a longer wrech before you strip it more. When dealing with seized bolts length is your friend.

Old 01-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go spend a little money and get the kit that tta583 suggested. Really you could find the same thing at any hardware store. These things are great at reducing stress. Also pick up a breaker bar for your socket set. Like stated above, leverage/length can make all the difference in the world when it comes to stubborn nuts and bolts.

Old 01-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

I had the same problem with mine. I had 5 of those f-ing things on different wheels that gave me trouble. Just find a way to get an impact on there and keep running it till it strips off all the threads because they are now no good anyway. It eats up the stud and the nut. Don't worry though because all you have to do is beat the stud out of the hub and put another one in. You don't have to buy the complete hub. Surprisingly, they are cheap even through Yamamha! It's just a guess, but I think I paid $0.75 per nut and $1.00 or $2.00 per stud. Then make sure to put grease on all of them before you put them on so that they don't corrode and give you that problem again. Good luck getting it off.

Old 01-21-2005, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

use a 6 point socket not a 12 and bang it on there

Old 01-21-2005, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

I've got a set of acetlyne cutting torches that will take those off in no time for ya [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Mind you your going to need a new hub when im finished.

Old 01-22-2005, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider

thanks for all the help, i ended up calling my father in law. he has more patience. he told me to remove the wheel from the axle and it would be easier to fix. i listened to him and we took the wheel over to his shop. he then cut a groove in it by beating it with a chisel. it was amaising the nut started turning. he made it look easy. i then had to clean up the threads on the stud with another metric nut. the stud is still good even though it had a couple nicks in it.
yah i went and looked at them bob vila nut removers that loook like sockets. i couldn't see spending 40.00 on them, later on i may get a set,

thanks

Quick Reply: disgusted with a single stripped lug nut