Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor/top heavy/owner&wannabes...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor/top heavy/owner&wannabes...

Originally posted by: RiverzEnd
I've noticed the front likes to dive in the air as well. I'm 160 lbs riding stock set up. Perhaps the rear is too stiff? I've seen ppl do mondo air with them so I imagine it must have to do with the setup and preloading.
Ive never had an issue with my nose diving and Im hitting at least 45 ft tables...Maybe you guys need to look into setting up your shocks

Old 02-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

compared to a low-slung wider sportbike (yfz,450r,z400,400ex),,,,its gonna feel tippy

it is a narrower,,,,taller quad,,,,,,ride it accordingly,,,,or modify it

i personally like the characteristics of the raptor for my riding style (tight woods trails)

Old 02-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

i got a raptor and i dont think its tipy at all, but then again i never rode a ds650. but if u know how to ride it is no prob.

as regards the 2 wheel thing, it doesnt bother me and it doesnt happen all that much just when i go threw a sharp high traction corner real fast, but i just use the bicycle to put some style in my riding

Old 02-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Trailblazer

stick pipes are alright but not teh greatest quality.. they fall apart after a year of jumping.. baffles blow out and stuff

Old 02-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

Here is my critique on the Raptor:

1. It does have a higher center of gravity than quads in its class due to the tall engine and big gas tank.

2. This problem is compounded by its narrow stance for trail riding.

3. It is compounded even more by the it's front to back balance. The majority of the riding weight is on the back wheels. The front end just kind of dances along. In a hard turn, this prevents the rear end from sliding out as easy and causes the front end to lift when powering up in the turn.

This is a minor problem. All you have to do is add 5 inches to the rear axle, put some not-so- grippy tires on the back, and these issues are solved... And you have one of the greatest quads ever made.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: MasterRaptor
Here is my critique on the Raptor:

1. It does have a higher center of gravity than quads in its class due to the tall engine and big gas tank.

2. This problem is compounded by its narrow stance for trail riding.

3. It is compounded even more by the it's front to back balance. The majority of the riding weight is on the back wheels. The front end just kind of dances along. In a hard turn, this prevents the rear end from sliding out as easy and causes the front end to lift when powering up in the turn.

This is a minor problem. All you have to do is add 5 inches to the rear axle, put some not-so- grippy tires on the back, and these issues are solved... And you have one of the greatest quads ever made.

that is a good assessment of the raptor

Old 02-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

One problem is the angle of the rear shock. If the shock were placed in a position where it had more of a vertical stroke, like the YFZ or the LT250, it would also lower the ride height in the rear.

One argument could be made that the raptor has a high center of gravity, but is not top heavy.

The raptor can be improved with lobo style a-arms and by increasing the width by six inches. ZPS shocks would help.

Old 02-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

What is ZPS shocks? Do you have a link?

Old 02-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

When i first road my rappy, i noticed it a little tippy, but it doesnt actuall TIP, now im used to it and its not tippy at all, you just have to learn how to ride it.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dunnycat
I think its the weight of the rider that is the factor, under 225lbs NO,over 225lbs YES
I concur. I know a couple larger guys that have trouble and even gotten hurt on the Raptor.

If you are over 225lbs , a ds650 would be a better choice.