Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Honest opinion from Raptor owners; thinking of purchasing one.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honest opinion from Raptor owners; thinking of purchasing one.

think alot of those probs youve heard about are from the 01
i have an 04 love it to death
best looking quad on market IMO

Old 02-08-2005, 12:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 05 Raptor as my first quad for woods riding and so far everything is fine. Tons of controlable power, not tippy for me but I'm all over it while riding. Rode my wifes Raptor 350 and Dad's brand new Z400 and like the 660 the best. The 350 handled better in the air, the 400 handled better everywhere but neither of them added up to the total 660 package. I'm thinking some better shocks would make mine about perfect.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider
Runs a DS870 that will flat out Shit and Git!

This month I have had my Raptor for one year. It has been the best year ever. I have a Banshee, a Grizzly a Warrior and the Raptor. There has only been a couple of weekends that I didn't ride, and the Raptor gets most of my ride time. I have had no problems at all and I ride the shizznett out of it.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

For anything except MX, I think the Raptor is king.

Definetly.

Old 02-08-2005, 01:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: UBETRUN
If you've ridden motorcycles, a Raptor feels awesome. The stock tires do not slide worth a crap, I think that's part of the reason people think it's tippy. If you ride in the woods, it's narrow and that makes it great for trails. The starter one-way is junk, save a couple of hundred for a L&A replacement. The carbs are a pain to work on, the floats have a mind of their own. The motor has a tremendous amount of torque and really wakes up with a pipe. For anything except MX, I think the Raptor is king.
This pretty much says it all.

Old 02-08-2005, 08:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Yamaha660R
For anything except MX, I think the Raptor is king.

Definetly.
I beg to differ.......

Old 02-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DeathShadow
Hey - just thinking about buying a Raptor and lots of people I talk to that DO NOT own one for personal use (including dealers) seem to have mixed feelings about the bike and how good it is. So instead of listening to the mixed bullsh!t of garbage on the pros and cons of this bike I would like to hear some input on the bike from people who actually own/have owned one.Just to add some input to focus on some of the things id like to hear responses to these are some of the negative things I have heard:*Way to tipsy even with +4 axle, +2 Arms, & 20x11 tires.*Not very quick on the take off or to fast*Tranny sucks and will fail*Clutch burn outs are frequent*Overheating problems
The Raptor requires more leaning than some other sport quads. The seat tank junction is thin and facilitates leaning and moving around on the seat. After one gets the leaning part down, the Raptor will handle as well as anything out there.
The Raptor has about the same quickness as the rest of the top high performance atv's out there in stock form. No other 4 stroke atv gains as much power by just adding a pipe, jetting, and allowing more air in the air box.
The 01 tranny is a weak design, this was fixed for 02.
Raptors are very easy on clutches, if someone is replacing Raptor clutches frequently I have to question the riders ability or the mechanical condition of the atv.
Overheating is not an issue unless something is mechanically incorrect.
The 1 way bearing is another issue that all Raptors have and Yamaha should fix this issue. I did hear Yamaha updated the design, but not positive on that.
The Raptor is the ultimate trail quad IMO.

Old 02-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

What kind of girly men are you hanging around with that are telling you the Raptor is to fast? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

ive had my raptor for 2 yrs now problem free. the only problems ive had are with the carbureators and thats only because i learned to jet it myself. the carbs are a pain to work with. other than that just sell the stock tires Out of the dealer and get a set of Good Tires and you should be set. its a lil tipsy on tight corners but youll learn to deal with it. mine desnt compare to my budddys YFZ but its a good bike. If i Had the Option on what to get, back when i bought mine i would have gone for the TRx450R which im probably going to get a 450r this year anyway.<u>probably</u> [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

i have a 2001 raptor. The most "Trubled" year. I run the bike almost everyday. Use reverse as much as i do foward. The bike starts up in 2 seconds, and runs like a champ. Not one problem. I love it. The bike is VERY fast. The tipsey feeling goes away after you ride it and learn how to handle the beast. I love it and wouldent trade it for any other bike. oh yea, it also has the original 2001 Tranny oil in it and clutch!

Quick Reply: Honest opinion from Raptor owners; thinking of purchasing one.