Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Want to Start Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to Start Racing

I'm 15 and we have two ATV's, a Yamaha Big Bear 400 and a Yamaha Beartracker 250. I've been wanting to get a sport quad for 2 years now and now I finally can get one. One interest I have is racing and that wasnt an issue with our quads. I have one problem though, I have only driven a manual clutch twice on a dirth bike and twice in a car. I consider myself to be a pretty good driver with 4 yrs. experience and I'm always pushing my ATV's to their limits. I'm wanting to get a sport quad that I can race and have for fast trail riding. I like the Z-400, YFZ 450 and Polaris Predator 500 but I'm not limiting myself to these choices. I dont want to get one I cant handle and I dont even know if you can race the 500. I would really like reverse but I'm not gonna make a big deal of it. I'm not on a budget but I dont want to spend a fortune. Any help would be great.------------P.S. I know this is the yamaha section and dont want biased answers but this section gets posted most often so I thought I might post here to get more answers hoping for a variety with reasoning.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

Pushing an atv to its limits? then get either a raptor 350 or warrior 350. Both extremely durable (especially the warrior) and they have mid 60's for top speed. Just my opinion.. the YFZ450 is really good, if your willing to pay. The banshee also.. both great.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

This is a tuff post for me to get into, bc i have never ridden these quads, but i do know that having reverse is a bonus, but who doesn't want a yfz, and a banshee is probably out for PA woods riding. just my 2 cents though.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

if i were you i'd look into a Z400

Old 02-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

What I mean by pushing them to their limits is that I'm always tryng to open up the throttle, ride fast and etc. Its not hard to reach the limits of the ATV's we already have; they werent made for the style of riding I like. I like riding fast, sliding around turns, jumping, wheelying and they just werent meant for that. Thank goodness I'm getting a new quad!

Old 02-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

If you have the money for the YFZ450 then go get that! If your on a budget get the Z400!

Old 02-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: PAquadracer
I'm 15 and we have two ATV's, a Yamaha Big Bear 400 and a Yamaha Beartracker 250. I've been wanting to get a sport quad for 2 years now and now I finally can get one. One interest I have is racing and that wasnt an issue with our quads. I have one problem though, I have only driven a manual clutch twice on a dirth bike and twice in a car. I consider myself to be a pretty good driver with 4 yrs. experience and I'm always pushing my ATV's to their limits. I'm wanting to get a sport quad that I can race and have for fast trail riding. I like the Z-400, YFZ 450 and Polaris Predator 500 but I'm not limiting myself to these choices. I dont want to get one I cant handle and I dont even know if you can race the 500. I would really like reverse but I'm not gonna make a big deal of it. I'm not on a budget but I dont want to spend a fortune. Any help would be great.------------P.S. I know this is the yamaha section and dont want biased answers but this section gets posted most often so I thought I might post here to get more answers hoping for a variety with reasoning.
well man you have to be 16 to race anything over a 90cc in AMA, but the YFZ450 would be your best bet, you'll just have to wait till you turn 16

Old 02-08-2005, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do pros only have a limit of 450 cc's or is that for all racers. Also I am 5'6' and 129lbs, would I be able to handle a Raptor 660 or Predator 500. I love Yamaha and we have always bought their products. My grandpa the same and its all my uncle would race. I would like another Yamaha but they jump from 350 to 450 to 660. I would like a 400. I feel the 350 wont be enough in the long run or racing and the yfz is pricey and I dont know if I'm experienced enough for its power ( and I'd like reverse ). So how about the 660 could it be raced? How are they?

Old 02-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

ive heard they are tippy on corners because of the engine and middle weight. Accel. is a lil slow also.

Old 02-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

UUUmm..nothing wrong with the excelleration on a 660..maybe you were talking about a Warrior.

Anyway if you race in Hare Scrambles (in Mi anyway) there is no cc limit.

Like on Bill Ballance's YFZ 450 is bored out to (I believe) 508..well over a 450 I know that for sure!

the 450 rule is for the MX circuit in the national events. And I do believe even in the National circuit there is an open class. I could be wrong about that though.

Quick Reply: Want to Start Racing