Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

why does every stock quad come with dunlops?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why does every stock quad come with dunlops?

Hey I kept those dunflops on the kodiak for a couple of years and they gave me a good few years. But like said before worn tires are crap. Good for smoking but nothing else. Haha. Later guys.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I hate to tell you this but that Dunlop tread is about the best sand non-paddle tire out there. I have enough time and money to try just about anything that is what I am running on my YFZ. Paddles are great but you are limited by the top end loss...I smoke other people with paddles with these stockers I took off the wifes Raptor. If I was running trails and hardpack I would probably run Kenda Klaws but for what I do...sand and trails these are the BEST....

They do wear out a little fast but you can't have it all...

Old 02-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer

They are junk. Took them on a woods ride and hit some rocks and those sidewalls had holes in them too big to plug. They don't compair at all to a Maxis tire.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: woodsyammy48
They are junk. Took them on a woods ride and hit some rocks and those sidewalls had holes in them too big to plug. They don't compair at all to a Maxis tire.

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT....Maxxis (not Maxis) doesn't make a comparable tread pattern for sand and loose pack use.....I am sure there are better quality tires out there....but this is the BEST performing for what "I" do.....

Old 02-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

I dont ride sand but have rode in the clole dust with them and they wear like crap. Seems any abrasive surface you get on just kills the tread. How about the sand?

Old 02-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

They put those crappy stockers on there because are lite and keep the weight of the utility quad down the target weight ,for japanese brands are 600lb. ish. If they put the heavier tires on ,the shipping prices to get them over here on the boat would be much higher. Thats the first thing that comes off my wheelers.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: citizennobody
I hate to tell you this but that Dunlop tread is about the best sand non-paddle tire out there. I have enough time and money to try just about anything that is what I am running on my YFZ. Paddles are great but you are limited by the top end loss...I smoke other people with paddles with these stockers I took off the wifes Raptor. If I was running trails and hardpack I would probably run Kenda Klaws but for what I do...sand and trails these are the BEST....They do wear out a little fast but you can't have it all...
I agree the Raptor/Z400 ect Dunlops are the best non paddle tire for the dunes. You want an open tread pattern to let the tire settle in the sand and grab it. A closed/closer tread pattern will not do this..

Old 02-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: ZimRaptor
Originally posted by: Bing
Originally posted by: 86LT250RFatty
Their cheep. But, ive seen the KFX700 at dealerships coming with Holeshots all around! i think their standard too..
those 2ply dunlops wouldnt last long on that bohemoth 700
wrong
whats wrong??? Are you saying the dunlops are as tough as the 6ply holeshots???? You must not have pinched too many tires in your day. The 700 is just too heavy ,,,,,,needs a beefier tire.

Old 02-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer

I work at Dunlop and build those tires. You guys have no idea what goes into building a tire, whether it is for a truck, car, atv, or semi. It really is pretty wild. They are tested and tested and tested. We are required to build x amount of tires an hour and every single one of them has to be perfect or we get our a$$ kicked (written up, threatened with our jobs, etc.). They are a good tire and we (not me, the engineers)are always in the process of designing something new and better.
It's funny, but the atv tires are the only ones we can keep up with. We are so far behind in every other tire, especially the GoodYear Wranglers and Mud rovers, the orders just keep coming in. So we are obviously doing something right. Since we run the risk of losing our job for building scrap tires, we don't mess around. For all you guys that say they are no good, you are in the minority because we are producing over 14,000 tires a day. And that is still not enough because we we have a couple hundred thousand on back-order
Plus, they always been good enough for Harley.

Old 02-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I still have the stock dunlops on my 95 timberwolf but i only drove it for about 3 1/2 years but thats good for stock tires. Every once and a while i'll take it out and drive it just to keep it runnin but it sits in the back of the shop most of the time unless my little cousin drives it. I've got 9 plugs in the front right, 6 in the front left, 16 in the back left and 13 in the back right but they still hold air for about 4 months before they go flat. I kept the stockers on my 97 kodiak for 2 years before they were complely slick so i got titan 489 and i thought the dunlops held up better than they did. On all of our newer fourwheelers we have aftermarket tires except on my brothers foreman but i dont know what kind of tires are on it. Overall i think they are good tires but not meant for alot of hard riding.

Quick Reply: why does every stock quad come with dunlops?