Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warn 424 Select

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 06:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn 424 Select

I am thinking about about buying a Warn 424 Select for my 04 wolverine. I would just like to know how many people have 'em, are they a good buy, and can someone like me with decent mechanical experience on atv's put one on?

Old 02-14-2005, 08:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warn 424 Select

I JUST GOT ONE FOR MY 'O3 WOLVERINE. EASY ENOUGH TO INSTALL, PROBLEM IS FINDING THE TORQUE SPECS TO RETIGHTEN THE FRONT DIFF BOLTS & THE F/LOWER CONTROL ARMS!!!!!!!!!!....HAVENT USED IT YET AS I AM STILL SEARCHING FORE THESE SPECS.

Old 02-14-2005, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warn 424 Select

[quote]

I JUST GOT ONE FOR MY 'O3 WOLVERINE. EASY ENOUGH TO INSTALL, PROBLEM IS FINDING THE TORQUE SPECS TO RETIGHTEN THE FRONT DIFF BOLTS & THE F/LOWER CONTROL ARMS!!!!!!!!!!....HAVENT USED IT YET AS I AM STILL SEARCHING FORE THESE SPECS. [quote]

Those things are extremely tight. I just tightened mine by "feel". They are probably around 80 ft/lbs or more. Just choke up on the rachet or wrench once it gets firm and you won't overtighten it. If you are worried about it, just check them periodically after a few rides.

I have a CD on the wolverine torque specs but these bolts are not listed.

Old 02-14-2005, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warn 424 Select

Lower A-Arm bolts - 32 Ft-lbs
Differential Bolts - 46 Ft-lbs.

Both from the 2003 service manual.

Old 02-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warn 424 Select

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR HELP......NOW TO FINISH IT UP & TRY IT OUT!!!!!!!!

Old 02-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warn 424 Select

i have one on my foreman, but i havent got to use it yet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2005, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer
Default Warn 424 Select

I appreciate the help. I have priced them on ebay for around $220.00 including shipping. I also checked on several dealer websites and they were around $275 to $300. I wouls also like to know how a wolverine performs in two wheel drive. Is it quicker like a sport bike or is there much difference? I am sure there is a big difference, if anyone has a 424 select on a wolverine, let us know how it performs. I am sure I am not the only one wanting to know the answer. And if anyone knows where to get one cheaper than what i've found, speak up. Only new units, not used.

Trending Topics

Old 02-14-2005, 11:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warn 424 Select

forestphantom,

the following may help you out. I just installed mine so if you have any questions let me know.

jax04wolverine

hey guys just ordered my warn 424 and cant wait to get it. i plan on riding in 2 weeks so hopefully
it gets here in time. question though was install difficult? can you wheelie easier with it engaged?
ive read other posts and am very excited from all the feedback on it thaks people

Madwolverine
Pro Rider

Thu February 10, 2005 5:51 PM

Pretty easy install. It would help to have snap ring pliers. Take a look at my pictures for a better idea on how to mount the controller.

You can't wheelie any easier in 4x4 or 2x4. You will love the 424 though.

-------------------------
wr250
Weekend Warrior
Ladysmith, British Columbia

I just installed this the other day and as Madwolverine stated it was a pretty easy install. I tipped the Wolverine over on its side so that I wouldn't have to crawl under. Make sure you redirect your fuel tank vent when you do this or gas will flow out while the Wolvy is on its side. It took approximately 2 hours without rushing, connecting everything and test riding. The instructions that came with it were excellent. Lots of pictures. The hardest part was removing the clips as I did not have snap ring pliers. I put the drive shaft in the vise and used two regular pliers to get the clips off. Also be careful when you take the controller end off to route it to the mounting location. If you take the brass part out there is a small ball bearing that could be easily lost. I mounted the controller in approx the same location as Mad.

BTW I picked up my 424 from ATV Direct. $220.00 delivered.

This is an excellent mod.

Good luck.

WolverineMan15666
Range Rover
Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania

Fri February 11, 2005 6:22 PM

When I installed mine, I had the old driveshaft out and everything loose and ready to go. That saved me a little time. When the UPS truck delivered it, I was ready to install. You'll have to loosen the a-arm bolts to get it in. The instructions are pretty clear and easy to understand. You shouldn't have a problem. Be careful on your first ride. I almost rolled mine the first time I took it for a spin in the yard. The Wolverine steered so much easier that its easy to over steer when your not use to it. You'll love it. You can do power slides and donuts just like the sport quads. It still won't wheelie very good though.

Old 02-15-2005, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default Warn 424 Select

Hey 95:

I can't believe that the factory differential bolts were torqued to 46 ft/lbs. They sure seemed tighter to me when I broke them loose.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warn 424 Select

I agree... I rememeber them being very tight.. I got to thinking about it last night and seem to remember mine loosening up on me during a ride in Colorado.. I'm going to check the book to see if there is a second misprint.. the first one caused me to take the clutch cover off a second time.

Let's go see......Nope, I found the same 46 ft-lbs called out in the specs section under the differential to frame bolts.

Quick Reply: Warn 424 Select