Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Re-Livin the Glory Days....

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 12:28 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-Livin the Glory Days....

I don't know about the rest of you guys.. but I'm getting tired of all the attention that these new quads are getting. Everywhere you look people are rambling about the predator, raptor, yfz, trx, z/kfx. I have yet to have the privilege of riding one of these new quads but I find it hard to believe that they are so much faster than anything else out there. I had thought about buying a predator or yfz a while back.. and I'm still not sure that I won't BUT for riding in the woods and trails how much faster are they? I am not sure about this but I think that YFZ450 shocks will work on a warrior front end..and I think you can use the rappy shock in the rear. So if you had that suspension on a warrior, decent pipe, jet kit, and air filter, change gearing. How would it compare to the Z, Craptor, and the other newer quads in the woods. When I say woods I mean pretty open trails for the most parts... lots of up/downhills... a good bit of mud (6in. deep mostly, some places up to 1.5 ft deep) how would it do with the mods I listed? The only comparison I can relate to is from a 300EX. I had one that was bored .030 over and that was about the only mod that was done to it. I know it would go through the mud like crazy.. you just had to run about 3rd gear up to it about half throttle.. then drop it into 2nd and just crack it at the base of the mudhole and hang on. It would rare up and wheeling through whatever I threw at it. NEVER ONCE did I get it hung up.. i had it submerged past the seat in mud once... I just kept it about 3/4 throttle and kept rockin it back and forth and side to side and it clawed it's way up out of there. I had Maxxis Razrs on it. I'm looking into buying a quad.. but if at all possible I would like to have an older bike something like I listed above and I think it would be comparable to the newer ones... you can only go so fast in the woods.. as long as you have accelleration you should be fine. But give me your 2 cents anyways. lol. Thanks for the imput!

Brandon! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 02-20-2005, 12:45 AM
Range Rover

-BUMP-

dont know what this does..but lots of people do it lol

Old 02-20-2005, 01:39 AM
Range Rover

CRAPTOR!?!?!? WTF?? the <u>RAPTOR</u> would romp on the warrior, so would the the YFZ...

Old 02-20-2005, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

Craptor......man you have alot to learn. I just read your profile, and im not going to BS you. Having rode quads for 11 years doesnt really mean that you know quads that well. Ive ridden them for more than 15 years now and there is still alot that i dont know. There also is alot that YOU dont know apparently.

First of all, you should not even have posted that above paragraph without having ridden any of the newer quads out there. I personally own a warrior and a raptor. TRUST ME...there is a BIG difference. I took my raptor out and first thing romped on it first and second gear and it nearly stood right on end throwing me off the seat. Dont even try to tell me that a warrior or a 300EX can do that. Thats honest to god, i just put a full yoshi exhaust on my raptor last night, i cannot believe the power that it makes now. It doesnt even compare to my warrior.

Well the newer quads are the new wave of the future, unfortunately the older quads arent being talked about alot because the newer ones are that much better and everyones upgrading. I had no idea what to think when i got my raptor, but i can tell you one thing. It sure as he11 is 100X better than a 300ex or a warrior ever though of being.

trailwise it is a good quad, some people sayits tipsy, i dont think so. Easy fix though if you think it is, A-arms or wheel spacers.

I do agree with you about the warrior being a good quad though. Mine was very reliable, but as far as for power, the new stuf just blows it out of the water. Upgrade soon and youll see, you should be able to pick up a used raptor for fairly cheap.

Old 02-20-2005, 10:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"bump" is a way to bring your post to the top of the list. People by nature only read the current stuff, so this can help you get more replys if your post is dieing on a busy message board. Most forums only want you to do one a day though.

As for your real question, yes, the new stuff is much better. After years of neglecting the sport side of the industry, R&D is back with a vengeance. Suspensions are better(there are 4 '05 models with front rezzies.) Engines are going liquid cooled, DOHC w/ 4 and 5 valve heads. Frame geometry on sport quads has been great ever since the 400ex. Even stock tires are much better than what you got 15 years ago. For instance, I have a stock YFZ that walks my brothers 87LT250R, even though it has a pipe, larger carb, Holeshots, and Works front shocks. In really tight trails with the mods you mentioned it should be close. On open and real hilly terrain your riding buddies could be waiting for you to catch up a lot.

Old 02-20-2005, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: YamahaRyder4Lyfe
CRAPTOR!?!?!? WTF??
LOL, Yea I though that was kinda funny as well...

Old 02-20-2005, 11:42 AM
Trailblazer

Don't hate the raptor cause it can bust yo ***!
The craptor name came from the 2001's with the transmission that couldn't handle the power of the 660. It was fixed in the next model year. Don't listen to all the atv owners on here because they will defend what the ride. Check out Dirt Wheels magazine and the shootouts the do, the raptor never loses to anything other than yfz's or trx's.

Old 02-20-2005, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

LOL!!!!!!!, Dirt Wheels magazine........ [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Ah, ok..........LOL

Old 02-21-2005, 12:47 AM
Range Rover

hey guys.... lol.. i think you kinda misread what i said.. or took it the wrong way... i have been at work all day 11am-11pm or i would have replied sooner to clear it up.... i was just jokin about the craptor... i really think they are an awesome quad... i didnt mean they sucked.. ive just heard so many people refer to them like that i thought it was kinda funny... my bad...i wont do it again. seriously guys... no sh*t, i didnt mean to step on anyones toes... but back to the matter at hand...

1)- i havent gotten to ride the newer quads... i wish i had.. but i havnt gotten to yet.

2)- being only 17yrs old and workin for min wage or a little above its hard to get the dough needed to buy a quad such as the yfz... the raptor.. or ANY of the new ones for that matter.

3)- i live in ohio... right by the ohio river... if you have EVER been here you would know that the ONLY thing we have to ride in is lots and lots of trails with tons and tons of mud lol. there are no wide open spaces here except for the highway and backroads. lol

4)- i would really like to ride the yfz because i think it would have enough power for me... im not trying to come off as a smart assed kid.. but honestly... ive ridden quite a few bikes and the DRZ400... in my opinion.. needs alot of mods to be considered "fast" its got *i think" 39-41hp to the rear wheel.. and my guess is it weighs about 400lb.. and its nothing fast in my book. with the gearing changed... and a pipe amd jet kit it could be faster i guess... but stock its not that great as far as power is concerned.

5)- with the money i make this summer... i was planning on having something like.. 3,000 to put into a quad... so thats why i was asking about the warrior and stuff... sorry for the inconvience i guess.

First of all, you should not even have posted that above paragraph without having ridden any of the newer quads out there
17yrs old... minimum wage job.... not a ton of money... LOL... = not many opportunites to ride these things lol.

another thing i might add, the trails around here are pretty nasty in places... like rocks and stuff like that... i mean i rolled the 300EX a couple times and i never thought a thing about it because you could get parts so cheap and stuff.... but if i roll a rappy ... stuff costs more for those things... and in my opinion you have to take it easier on them and your scared of tearing them up... IF you work like the rest of us kids and dont have much money to play with.

i imagine i do have a lot of stuff to learn guys.. but then again theres a lot of stuff i know that a lot of people dont. im sorry i posted this topic.. beacuse i guess it pizzed a few of you guys off.

ive got a few friends that used to race... they were tellin me of this guy that raced and when he did he would DE-TUNE the motor.. make it produce LESS power and had the suspension setup just right and he would leave the rest of the quads sitting that had tons of hp and stuff... think about it... the more USABLE power you have with the right suspension/tire/ and gear setup your naturally going to be faster than someone with tons of wheelspin. this is the theory i was using when i asked you guys your opinion about this. obvioulsy you guys belive in the "wheelspin can solve all my problems" theory LOL. j/j but seriously... i wont bother you guys with any more questions like this... i will probably try it and see for myself. and even if its not the "fastest" thing out there.... atleast i wont be paying for it when im 34yrs old! lol. for those of you who supplied helpful info (scooter) thanks man. the rest of you guys who get offended really easy can just continue doin whatever you where doin before i bothered ya. thanks and sorry again... Brandon [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-21-2005, 01:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't worry about the Craptor stuff. To many immature posts floating around saying my P.O.S. XYZ 200 will beat your quad because it's a crapturd. Since you were asking about them, I figured you were just joking a bit. If you feel the DRZ is slow, a Warrior will be like turtle speed. They only put out about 20HP stock, probably less. With 3k to spend, you might be able to find a 400ex, z400/clones(has a somewhat detuned DRZ motor) or an early Raptor or Predator. You should be able to find examples of all of those by next fall for that cash. I don't think any of those would even be as fast as your bike though. The Raptor or maybe even a DS650 might be good choices if you are looking for speed. A lot of people say the z400 has about the best balance between power/handling/suspension for a trail ride. Of course, there are quite a few nice 300ex's and Warriors out there that will work on a tighter budget. At least you have plenty of time to research the new toy!

Quick Reply: Re-Livin the Glory Days....