Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Road clutch weights for street legal ATV??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 07:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road clutch weights for street legal ATV??

I have a street legal Grizz and was wondering what I could do for more (smoother) top end. I want to be able to go 65 mph without winding out the motor. I live 25 miles from town and I don't think that many RPM's for that long can be good for it. A 600 street bike can go 65 at about 1500 RPM's what will make my Grizz do that?

Old 02-21-2005, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

You cant,yeah,a 600 >>MANUAL<< street bike can,by just getting up to speed and leaving it in low revs in a high gear,but you cant do that with a Grizz.Dont even try it,youll end up KILLING your acceleration and you wont even get close to what you want to do...
You can try playing with the clutch weights and spring strenths but I doubt youll get even close to the desired effects without needing full throttle to just launch and detroying the atributes that utility quads are known for.
But quite frankly my advise would be leave it alone.Just remember a streetbike can do 158mph STOCK,dont even try to get the same performance from your quad...use the Dodge to go to town if you dont like high revs.Buy a cheap second hand streetbike if you have the right license. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

How do you intend dealing with the fact that the rear wheels are locked together by the axle, turning both wheels at the same speed ?

The grizzly does not have a diff in the true sense . This will not allow proper cornering on a paved surface. One side will wind up and battle to slip in a curve on a sealed surface and this will stuff up your tyres as well as axles. Unless i am mistaken ?

Skin

Old 02-23-2005, 05:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

how did you get the thing street legal? the only place i'd even heard of street licensing a quad was a couple i've seen for sale out of california, and they were grandfathered in. sure would be sweet to cruiz into town on my raptor or banshee!

Old 02-23-2005, 06:13 AM
Pro Rider

Mine has been street legal since the day after I bought it. In Wyoming, you just need a mirror somewhere on the front of the bike and insurance. I have a blind spot mirror covering the top warning plate on the left front fender. It's useless except for the law. Check my pics and you will see the tag. I spend about 350.00 total for insurance for the year and tags. It's cool up here. The rear wheels are not connected via axle. I have a 2004 Grizz, they have IRS. I was just wondering if it would be feezable to change the clutch springs or do some tranny mods to relieve it from the high revs at 65/69 MPH on the highway. I have driven it to town several times and I have never had a problem with it feeling unstable. The suspension is completely stock. It is really cool driving around in Cheyenne. I think I will leave it alone and trailer it into town on the nice days. I may be moving into town later this year and that will solve the problem. Thanks for the replies though. TW

Old 02-23-2005, 06:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi.

Yes the grizzly has IRS but the separate axles locate into a central "diff" which turns at one speed only. effectively locking the two axles together in rpm. They do not turn independantly of each other. Make low speed turn on some soft smooth ground and you will see and hear how one of the wheels struggles to keep up with the other by spinning.
You will note that one wheels tracks are clearly marked whreas the other wheel rips up the ground as it spins through the curve.
This is bad news for high speed cornering safety on a paved road, as well as playing hell with the bikes mechanicals.
I have an 05 grizzly and was told the same as you believe by the dealer. Mine is street legal too, but i was dismayed to find out that the diff is not a full differential and i can't actually use it on the street without the risk of being thrown off in a high speed corner or stuffing up the bike and its wheels for sure.

Have you not noticed how it does not want to turn on a sealed surface at low speed ? Its because of the inner wheel winding up and wanting to spin. The inner wheel travels a shorter distance than the outer one yet it must do this with the same amount of revolutions as the outer wheel. It must spin to do this. Imagine that at high speed.

I hope i'm wrong but im afraid i'm right.

Skin.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. I am sure you are right, I just have never had a problem with it. I ride my quad all over town on paved roads and get up to 69MPH all the time and I don't have to worry about it. My quad has handled fine for me. I am used to riding three wheelers though, so that might be the difference.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with trying to increase speed or lower rpms on a PVT clutch is that you are going to change acceleration or lug the motor in certain areas and not really gain top end. Once the clutch is fully shifted out it doesnt matter what you do to it as far as clutch weights or springs. There are only 3 ways to do what you want. One is to gear it up, put taller tires to increase your rollout, or increase engine speed which you dont want to do. Not a lot of good options available.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do want to add this....... If you put heavier weights in the primary clutch the engine will turn lower rpms at part throttle until the clutch fully shifts out. It will affect acceleration and if you go too far it might try to engage quicker and try to creep.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

what did you have to do to the bike to make it street leagal

Quick Reply: Road clutch weights for street legal ATV??