Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Whats this sound like???

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats this sound like???

when i start up my raptor it sounds like you got a couple of plastic spoons and are tappin them together (not hard just enought to notice) . But you give it about 10 seconds and then it just goes away like it was never there. Maybe oil is just takeing a while to get to something, why it has never done that before. I got kawi lube 10w40 in it. when i changed the oil i even changed the filter and i took the little screen out of the bottom of the oil tank and cleaned it. i need to find out because im going to little sahara march 15 and i want it not to blow up on me. thanks for the info

Old 02-22-2005, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

dont quote me but could be your valve train needing adjustment?

Old 02-22-2005, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

maybe so i havent adjusted it since i put the piston kit it. But would'nt it rattle all the time
?

Old 02-22-2005, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

they might be a hair loose..... im just going off a car, when you first start, the valvetrain will chatter a little until oil gets up there and quiets them down!

Old 02-22-2005, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

that may be the problem so do you know what they need to be adjusted to?

Old 02-22-2005, 07:09 PM
Range Rover

the one way starter does that when it starts to go bad...i got a l&a one way starter when mine went

Old 02-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Trailblazer

Don't worry to much about it. Mine does it too. I have researched the problem. This resembles Vortec engines in Chevy's. You can take a brand new Corvette and it will have piston slap for about the first 5 minutes of its warm up, then it goes away. Its completely normal. The Raptor has such a large engine that after it has been setting it takes a little while for the oil to get into the cylinder (for those of you who don't know how small engines lubricate the cylinder then you don't know what I'm talking about). It is natural. My only advice is that when you first start it, don't use the choke. Turn the starter over several times or let it idle at very low RPM's to allow oil to get into the cylinder without the cylinder moving very fast. If you use full choke right off the bat, you may eventually scar the cylinder because of the piston heating up faster than oil can get to it. And that's bad. Yes, very bad. So peace out my Yamaha brother and don't fret, just be nice to her.

Old 02-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

ive already replaced my oneway bearing before believe me i know when its going out (no offence). But about what soupbox said that sounds about right but hell mine never did it untill i put the gyt-r clutch system in. but o well if u think its ok then its ok i usually let it idle abefore i take off to let it get oil. come to think of it my ss silverado does it when i first start it that if i dont use 91 octain but im sure that probably a differnet scenario.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:06 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah that is engine ping (preignition). I hope that helps though. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2005, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

ok well thanks alot for all your input

Quick Reply: Whats this sound like???