Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Have you got what it takes to be the world's fastest?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have you got what it takes to be the world's fastest?

There are faster quads out there I have seen a quad (polaris scrambler body) run 148 in the 1/8. They supposedly have a huge race in costa rica with quads. I dont know if its fair to say its a four wheeler like we see it because it is a different frame and uses a psi 1000 cc + motor or a crank shop motor depending on the race. Its insane fast he runs it on the ice sometimes but its out of control. The reason I wrote this is because at the bryon drag way they said he held the world record for fastest 4-wheeler. Is this a bunch of BS?

Old 03-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

atv action themselves did. write them and let us know what they say if u want

Old 03-03-2005, 12:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

give anybody or any bike enough distance and they can always run faster times.

I know ive gone 107mph in the 100 yards from a complete stop. Give me 150 yards and the speeds goes up.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DLRPLATE
There are faster quads out there I have seen a quad (polaris scrambler body) run 148 in the 1/8. They supposedly have a huge race in costa rica with quads. I dont know if its fair to say its a four wheeler like we see it because it is a different frame and uses a psi 1000 cc + motor or a crank shop motor depending on the race. Its insane fast he runs it on the ice sometimes but its out of control. The reason I wrote this is because at the bryon drag way they said he held the world record for fastest 4-wheeler. Is this a bunch of BS?
There are machines built that can go faster. Everyone is missing the point here. He SUSTAINED the speed for an 1/8 mile. He didnt get up to that speed and let off. It's the same as the flying mile at Bonneville.Maybe it doesnt seem that fast to some people and I am sure there are guys here that like to hold it WFO at top rpm.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Alltoys hit 98mph on a 600lb utility quad.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2005, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

congrads good luck... if you guys need i driver i would gladly volonteer

Old 03-03-2005, 03:18 AM
Pro Rider

I'm the first to admit, there are technically faster quads, but I would be really sceptical of their ability to sustain these kinds of speeds off-road. Trust me, it scared the crap out of me at 122. If you see the SCTA or Utah Salt Flat Club categories, there are all sorts of categories of cars with all sorts of extreme mods that push them to 700mph in some cases, but that doesn't apply to quads. The Guiness record is defined as a production ATV with no add on body work (spoilers, wings, etc) allowed, any engine mods or assisted power to the original engine is allowed and any suspension improvements to handle the off road conditions are permitted. From their point of view, an ATV still stands for "All Terrain Vehicle", so no public road or track runs. They also do not permit wheels above 12 inches either or installation of non-original motors. There are a lot more restrictions, but they are trying to keep it a quad, not turn it into a hybrid car category. Having said that, it is tougher than you think. My first passes at a sustained 110mph at Sandlake, Oregon resulted in delaminating the the rear tires and blew a seal out of a front shock. My next tests at 115mph on another weekend set the record for the longest skid (I think) when my rear rotor seized due to high temp distortion (thanks for the assist Sand Lake Duners). Another test weekend at above a sustained 120 resulted in a trashed tranny on pass #3 (thanks in part to my towing out a stranded DS650 KMS turbo I think-wink).
My point, don't try this at home with any quad without prep. I know a lot of bikes can touch these speeds in ideal conditions, but an ATV isn't inherently designed to do it. We put a lot of research into this. Our next 150mph target engine (production single cylinder) will be in a very special frame that will hopefully stay together. But, it won't fit the Guiness category. I really think this could be a new untapped and challenging sport for ATV'ers. We are talking about establishing land speed records for 50-80cc, single cylinder 4 and 2 strokes, multi-cyclinder 2 and 4 strokes, and so on and so on. Maybe an annual getogether at a dry lake bed, what do ya'll think? Why does the SCTA have to have all the fun? Stand by Monster Nation!!!!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bubba297
Originally posted by: DLRPLATE
There are machines built that can go faster. Everyone is missing the point here. He SUSTAINED the speed for an 1/8 mile. He didnt get up to that speed and let off. It's the same as the flying mile at Bonneville.Maybe it doesnt seem that fast to some people and I am sure there are guys here that like to hold it WFO at top rpm.
WOW a whole 1/8 mile thats about 3 seconds at that speed. Whats the big deal. Its 120.

Personally I think its scaryer to hang on to a bike that will hit 130-140 in 4 seconds then ride one that goes 120 in a longer distance and oh yeah GO SLOWER. And I am still confused on how a bike with a ROCKET meets these standards. But since it does why not just get a big a$$ port job and stoker to the banshee engine add NOS and have like 90+HP gear the $hit out of it and hit a high top speed. IT would still be a stock engine and have far more HP then a raptor engine and be lighter.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Range Rover

I understand what you are saying now. You have to run over 120 for 1/8 mile sounds like you have alot of trust in your bike.

Old 03-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I suppose going 122 "offroad" isn't that impressive to some folks, but we were pretty happy about it. The beauty of this is that records are meant to be broken. My original point was to ask if there is any future in establishing ATV category land speed records here in the US of A. Personnally, if anyone thinks their bike can go faster, prove it. We are considering setting up a speed trap and making it an event and letting throttles do the talking. I think it could be fun if enough folks show interest. There are some real talented engine and chassis builders out there that could really set the bar high. I know someone can beat this record. It was originally held at 104 by a 4cylinder LT500, we broke it and now someone WILL break ours. The great thing about this kind of event is the bar gets set higher and higher. Trust me, whoever breaks our record better plan on us defending it. I would love to see an ATV eventually hit 150-200mph, safely of course!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Have you got what it takes to be the world's fastest?