ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Have you got what it takes to be the world's fastest? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/193819-have-you-got-what-takes-worlds-fastest.html)

afterburner 03-01-2005 03:08 AM

Have you got what it takes to be the world's fastest?

Some of you may have seen the April Dirt Wheels which debuts my rocket powered Raptor. It is also on the Albaaction.com site. What many didn't know was that we broke the Guiness World ATV (Quad) land speed record by sustaining 122 mph off-road, multiple back to back passes under the strict Guiness guidelines for a production ATV. It will be officially set and authenticated in a couple weeks by their rules of acceptance. BUTTTTTT....I didn't start this thread to inflate my ego, rather I wanted feedback on an idea we are kicking around. The reason we set out to break the ATV land speed record was because the Bonneville, SCTA and other U.S. timing authorities will not come out of the seventies and acknowledge Quads. Only Guiness will. By getting world recognition under a sanctioning body, we are now thinking of establishing a timing authority here in the U.S. just for Quads. We would hold meets, much like the folks at the Salt Flats and set up our own guidelines and ATV categories. What does everyone think? Are we just loopy or could there be a few others out there with a need for speed that would like to see if they can be the next hi-speed top dawg?

mystereid 03-01-2005 05:59 AM

Congrats on the speed record. Would your sancitioning body support rocket assist? What kind of tires are you running? are they rated for that kind of speed?
Where'd you come up with the rocket and what does it use for fuel? Where can I get one? I promise I won't break your record[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

garrett5462 03-01-2005 08:07 AM

i think ive got what it takes... on my arctic cat.lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

afterburner 03-01-2005 11:17 AM

The rocket is handmade and uses PVC for fuel. The sanctioning body, once formed would accept rocket assist as a specific category (we think), and I am using DOT rated tires (I gotta check to see who the manufactuerer is and I'll get back to ya). I see you run a bomber. Believe it or not, we considered using a DS as a platform for the rocket bike since they are much more stable at hi speed, but we had a limited budget. Oh well.

coolguy8769 03-01-2005 11:24 AM

i gotta say that i've been whatching you with this thig since i found out about it . both my cousins are sponsered by alba action (for motorcycle motocross) and live in ramona cali. when they told me to look on the alba website and i saw your raptor i instatly wanted to learn more. i watched all the videos ect. On your second version the one that you have now why did you put those MASSIVE wing type things on the back??

yamaharaptor350 03-01-2005 11:49 AM

I was just readin about it in dirt wheels, the thing is sick it must be such a rush!!

yamaharaptor350 03-01-2005 11:51 AM

Originally posted by: garrett5462
i think ive got what it takes... on my arctic cat.lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Yeah u got that F-22 raptor thrust rocket booster on the back right[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

motox26 03-01-2005 12:05 PM

I seen that article in dirtwheels and was wondering if that was you. I think it is a great idea. It benefits everybody, the more attention ATV's get, the more machines and products will be available.

I was also wondering about that big wing, does that really help stabilize it?

2004LEBANSHEE 03-01-2005 12:13 PM

Congrats. I saw a bunch about your bike very impressive. But I was wondering what the rules are to the record such as limitations. Because there are shees that hit over 130 in a 1/8 mile drag with banshee engines but thats not a record.

2004LEBANSHEE 03-01-2005 12:14 PM

http://www.wickedatv.com/duportal30/...deo_082004.wmv
I think there is one in here.

maddog56 03-01-2005 12:54 PM

Did you add a little meat to the equation since the last time you were here? I dont remember a 727 rocket raptor...

afterburner 03-01-2005 09:21 PM

Originally posted by: coolguy8769
i gotta say that i've been whatching you with this thig since i found out about it . both my cousins are sponsered by alba action (for motorcycle motocross) and live in ramona cali. when they told me to look on the alba website and i saw your raptor i instatly wanted to learn more. i watched all the videos ect. On your second version the one that you have now why did you put those MASSIVE wing type things on the back??

afterburner 03-01-2005 09:23 PM

Coolguy8769, Oops, sorry about forgetting to add a reply. The wings are just for looks during parades and exhibitions. The alba site shows the bike in race form (version 3.0). And, yeah, when it hits, it's a rush.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

afterburner 03-01-2005 09:25 PM

Originally posted by: maddog56
Did you add a little meat to the equation since the last time you were here? I dont remember a 727 rocket raptor...
Yeah, it WAS a re-sleeved 727 for a while. But, we got better performance with the 686 so went back to it. But, when Dirt Wheels did the story, it was still a 727.

afterburner 03-01-2005 09:27 PM

Originally posted by: motox26
I seen that article in dirtwheels and was wondering if that was you. I think it is a great idea. It benefits everybody, the more attention ATV's get, the more machines and products will be available.

I was also wondering about that big wing, does that really help stabilize it?
No stabilization, just looks. The story was done right after I organized the Guiness ATV World Record Parade and they were there for exhibition only. By the ay, that story is in the same mag as the rocket. And I fully agree, the ATV's need the press.

afterburner 03-01-2005 09:30 PM

Originally posted by: 2004LEBANSHEE
Congrats. I saw a bunch about your bike very impressive. But I was wondering what the rules are to the record such as limitations. Because there are shees that hit over 130 in a 1/8 mile drag with banshee engines but thats not a record.
Guiness says you have to have a production bike, no bodywork other than cutting and some minor plastic changes, and you have to sustain the average speed over a full 1/8 mile, two consecutive passes in two directions, off-road, flying start. There are other rules, but we plan to make up different categories and rules as we make this happen. Thanks.

Choky 03-01-2005 09:48 PM

Congrats dude!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Nice touch with the fullbore custom front plastic...even if a little weird [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

jaggers2e42 03-01-2005 10:11 PM

yeah i'm not one to brag but i hit 121.5 on my warrior. it's almot stock but it has scott racing grips on hit.{man they add the horse power} but getting back to my 121.5 run i would have hit 123 but my no fear sticker blew off and that knocked me down to around 60 or so but i'm looking for another sticker so watch out i might just set a NEW WORLD RECORD...i case you had not noticed the sh!t is getting deep on my screen[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
congrats on having a kick a$$ toy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

raptorblasterracer 03-01-2005 11:47 PM

i have seen ppl go faster than that b4.....

Yamaha660R 03-01-2005 11:49 PM

Congrat's on the record......it would be a challenge just to stay on a quad at that kind of speed.

2phast4u 03-02-2005 12:08 AM

Originally posted by: raptorblasterracer
i have seen ppl go faster than that b4.....
heck yes me 2 on my bike its a sledge hammer

hahaha but really dats crazy so u hadda hold the speed of 122 for 1/8th of a mile??

afterburner 03-02-2005 01:08 AM

Originally posted by: Yamaha660R
Congrat's on the record......it would be a challenge just to stay on a quad at that kind of speed.
Thanks, man. You have no idea! It was a real challenge to hide low enough to not get blown off. A lot of folks don't realize, this was off-road, so the suspension was beating like a drum. But, my hat's off to Elka. They built a one off set of shocks for this event and I will forever swear by their products now. The custom Fullbore nose really made a difference in aerodynamics and the ALBA pipe deflector helped recover back pressure from the hole punched in the air. Here's a little secret, too. We are already building an engine capable of 150mph SUSTAINED. But, I've reached my personal limit. I'm too old to push that envelope and we will be looking for somebody else to pilot that Quad if we successfully build it. Wish us luck.

Yamaha660R 03-02-2005 01:32 AM

I knew staying on the quad would be a test...I ran 80mph down the interstate through a construction zone to get a radar speed and that speed alone wanted to pull you back on the bike if you didn't say down against the gas tank. Like I said, congrat's, and goodluck with the next run.

strongtyer 03-02-2005 01:33 AM

cool to hear that. i saw your rocket raptor on the ALBA site before i was ever on the forums so its pretty cool to actually talk to the guy who did it. congradulations! hope this helps the atv nation[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

afterburner 03-02-2005 11:14 AM

Thanks again. Still not sure if we should create an association for doing this annually, though. Hi speed runs are inherently risky or else everyone would be chasing the world record. Obviously, if we create the organization, we would have all sorts of safety rules, but do you think there would be enough interest in breaking the ATV land speed records or even establishing land speed record categories like we see in motorcycles at the Salt Flats? Any thoughts appreciated.

garrett5462 03-02-2005 04:08 PM

Originally posted by: yamaharaptor350

Originally posted by: garrett5462
Yeah u got that F-22 raptor thrust rocket booster on the back right[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
damn straight.... i got dual f-22's in the back, its the only way to go....

Choky 03-02-2005 07:19 PM

Originally posted by: afterburner
I'm too old to push that envelope and we will be looking for somebody else to pilot that Quad if we successfully build it.Wish us luck.
Ill do it...but only with a really good steering stabilizer.I figure in a couple of years Ill have nothing left to loose,hit me up then. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

spoRtRax450R 03-02-2005 07:31 PM

Some of you may have seen the April Dirt Wheels which debuts my rocket powered Raptor. It is also on the Albaaction.com site. What many didn't know was that we broke the Guiness World ATV (Quad) land speed record by sustaining 122 mph off-road, multiple back to back passes under the strict Guiness guidelines for a production ATV. It will be officially set and authenticated in a couple weeks by their rules of acceptance. BUTTTTTT....I didn't start this thread to inflate my ego, rather I wanted feedback on an idea we are kicking around. The reason we set out to break the ATV land speed record was because the Bonneville, SCTA and other U.S. timing authorities will not come out of the seventies and acknowledge Quads. Only Guiness will. By getting world recognition under a sanctioning body, we are now thinking of establishing a timing authority here in the U.S. just for Quads. We would hold meets, much like the folks at the Salt Flats and set up our own guidelines and ATV categories. What does everyone think? Are we just loopy or could there be a few others out there with a need for speed that would like to see if they can be the next hi-speed top dawg?

well guiness can say its the fastest, but only in there book.atv action sep 1988 they hit 128mph on a 585cc nitrous zilla. THAT is the worlds fastest atv i know of

Choky 03-02-2005 07:40 PM

Originally posted by: spoRtRax450R
well guiness can say its the fastest, but only in there book.atv action sep 1988 they hit 128mph on a 585cc nitrous zilla. THAT is the worlds fastest atv i know of
Offroad?

afterburner 03-02-2005 09:14 PM

Originally posted by: spoRtRax450R

Well, like I said, we are soliciting responses to see if there could be interest in capturing ATV land speed records in various categories. If he still exists, he should challenge the record. We actually welcome it. Could be fun if we make this an annual event like the SCTA.

DLRPLATE 03-02-2005 09:40 PM

There are faster quads out there I have seen a quad (polaris scrambler body) run 148 in the 1/8. They supposedly have a huge race in costa rica with quads. I dont know if its fair to say its a four wheeler like we see it because it is a different frame and uses a psi 1000 cc + motor or a crank shop motor depending on the race. Its insane fast he runs it on the ice sometimes but its out of control. The reason I wrote this is because at the bryon drag way they said he held the world record for fastest 4-wheeler. Is this a bunch of BS?

spoRtRax450R 03-02-2005 09:52 PM

atv action themselves did. write them and let us know what they say if u want

DaBeechMan 03-03-2005 12:11 AM

give anybody or any bike enough distance and they can always run faster times.

I know ive gone 107mph in the 100 yards from a complete stop. Give me 150 yards and the speeds goes up.

Bubba297 03-03-2005 12:25 AM

Originally posted by: DLRPLATE
There are faster quads out there I have seen a quad (polaris scrambler body) run 148 in the 1/8. They supposedly have a huge race in costa rica with quads. I dont know if its fair to say its a four wheeler like we see it because it is a different frame and uses a psi 1000 cc + motor or a crank shop motor depending on the race. Its insane fast he runs it on the ice sometimes but its out of control. The reason I wrote this is because at the bryon drag way they said he held the world record for fastest 4-wheeler. Is this a bunch of BS?
There are machines built that can go faster. Everyone is missing the point here. He SUSTAINED the speed for an 1/8 mile. He didnt get up to that speed and let off. It's the same as the flying mile at Bonneville.Maybe it doesnt seem that fast to some people and I am sure there are guys here that like to hold it WFO at top rpm.

maddog56 03-03-2005 12:58 AM

Alltoys hit 98mph on a 600lb utility quad.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

yamahawarriormods 03-03-2005 02:06 AM

congrads good luck... if you guys need i driver i would gladly volonteer

afterburner 03-03-2005 03:18 AM

I'm the first to admit, there are technically faster quads, but I would be really sceptical of their ability to sustain these kinds of speeds off-road. Trust me, it scared the crap out of me at 122. If you see the SCTA or Utah Salt Flat Club categories, there are all sorts of categories of cars with all sorts of extreme mods that push them to 700mph in some cases, but that doesn't apply to quads. The Guiness record is defined as a production ATV with no add on body work (spoilers, wings, etc) allowed, any engine mods or assisted power to the original engine is allowed and any suspension improvements to handle the off road conditions are permitted. From their point of view, an ATV still stands for "All Terrain Vehicle", so no public road or track runs. They also do not permit wheels above 12 inches either or installation of non-original motors. There are a lot more restrictions, but they are trying to keep it a quad, not turn it into a hybrid car category. Having said that, it is tougher than you think. My first passes at a sustained 110mph at Sandlake, Oregon resulted in delaminating the the rear tires and blew a seal out of a front shock. My next tests at 115mph on another weekend set the record for the longest skid (I think) when my rear rotor seized due to high temp distortion (thanks for the assist Sand Lake Duners). Another test weekend at above a sustained 120 resulted in a trashed tranny on pass #3 (thanks in part to my towing out a stranded DS650 KMS turbo I think-wink).
My point, don't try this at home with any quad without prep. I know a lot of bikes can touch these speeds in ideal conditions, but an ATV isn't inherently designed to do it. We put a lot of research into this. Our next 150mph target engine (production single cylinder) will be in a very special frame that will hopefully stay together. But, it won't fit the Guiness category. I really think this could be a new untapped and challenging sport for ATV'ers. We are talking about establishing land speed records for 50-80cc, single cylinder 4 and 2 strokes, multi-cyclinder 2 and 4 strokes, and so on and so on. Maybe an annual getogether at a dry lake bed, what do ya'll think? Why does the SCTA have to have all the fun? Stand by Monster Nation!!!!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

2004LEBANSHEE 03-03-2005 12:04 PM

Originally posted by: Bubba297

Originally posted by: DLRPLATE
There are machines built that can go faster. Everyone is missing the point here. He SUSTAINED the speed for an 1/8 mile. He didnt get up to that speed and let off. It's the same as the flying mile at Bonneville.Maybe it doesnt seem that fast to some people and I am sure there are guys here that like to hold it WFO at top rpm.
WOW a whole 1/8 mile thats about 3 seconds at that speed. Whats the big deal. Its 120.

Personally I think its scaryer to hang on to a bike that will hit 130-140 in 4 seconds then ride one that goes 120 in a longer distance and oh yeah GO SLOWER. And I am still confused on how a bike with a ROCKET meets these standards. But since it does why not just get a big a$$ port job and stoker to the banshee engine add NOS and have like 90+HP gear the $hit out of it and hit a high top speed. IT would still be a stock engine and have far more HP then a raptor engine and be lighter.

DLRPLATE 03-03-2005 12:13 PM

I understand what you are saying now. You have to run over 120 for 1/8 mile sounds like you have alot of trust in your bike.

afterburner 03-03-2005 01:39 PM

Well, I suppose going 122 "offroad" isn't that impressive to some folks, but we were pretty happy about it. The beauty of this is that records are meant to be broken. My original point was to ask if there is any future in establishing ATV category land speed records here in the US of A. Personnally, if anyone thinks their bike can go faster, prove it. We are considering setting up a speed trap and making it an event and letting throttles do the talking. I think it could be fun if enough folks show interest. There are some real talented engine and chassis builders out there that could really set the bar high. I know someone can beat this record. It was originally held at 104 by a 4cylinder LT500, we broke it and now someone WILL break ours. The great thing about this kind of event is the bar gets set higher and higher. Trust me, whoever breaks our record better plan on us defending it. I would love to see an ATV eventually hit 150-200mph, safely of course!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]