Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

crashed brand new 05 Kodiak

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crashed brand new 05 Kodiak

I finally bought my wife a brand new '05 Kodiak 450 last week.

My son calls up from college and wants to take some buddies riding on Saturday (today). I say no way - mom gets the first ride on the new machine. And then I realize that the younger kids are out of school on Friday, so I take the day off work and take my wife and younger children out riding. My wife instantly falls in love with the Kodiak. And so did I. It exceeded my expectations! What a smooth ride!

So today I take my son, his roommates, and some friends out riding. We have a pretty good day - but mid-afternoon one of his friends crashes the Kodiak. She tried to jump off a bump (she was watching all the sport quad guys jumping I guess) and slammed front on into a side hill or gully. She won't give me many details about what happened, but she must have hit hard. When she gets back to the car the handlebars are lying forward, almost flat.

I looked it over. She clearly hit the front bumper hard into the dirt. I pulled the bars back up vertical and took it for a test drive. There was clearly something wrong. Then I noticed that the plastic covering the tank was no longer snapped to the fenders. There was about a 1/2" gap between the two. And the shift lever seems to be about 1" too far to the left, and it won't shift into all the gears. Something is definitely bent somewhere.

I dropped it off at the dealer on the way home to have it repaired. They are currently two weeks out - and we have our annual spring break trip coming up in 2.5 weeks - which is why I bought the machine now. It wasn't fun breaking the news to my wife. Boy, is she upset - her brand new machine ruined.

Has anyone had a similar crash with similar symptoms? If so, how bad was the damage? Is it likely that the frame is bent? Or can the frame take that kind of a crash? How could the shifter get tweaked out of place? Is it held by linkage? Or is it mounted directly to the frame? Any estimate on what this is going to cost me?

Any words of comfort or advice?

Old 03-06-2005, 01:16 AM
Range Rover

the fram shouldnt be bent and the shifter has a rod that connets to the tranny and if that bent it wont sift price prolly about 1,500 .1700$$$ not sure between labor and parts

Old 03-06-2005, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

Ouch, thats why we won't let anybody ride our quads without having experience or having a day of learning, then they never ride without us there

Old 03-06-2005, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider

Accidents are accidents, but make her pay. Hopefully the bill wont be 2k. Good luck--Rider1169

Old 03-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

Do you have insurance? If so, it should cover this. I'd ask the person responsible for the wreck to pay the deductible.

Old 03-06-2005, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer

By "insurance" do you mean insurance specifically for the ATV? Or would home owners insurance cover this?

Old 03-07-2005, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

I meant ATV specific insurance. I have insurance on my wolverine that covers pretty much anything. I think it is about 200 per year. I paid cash for my bike, but I think most payment plans require insurance.

I doubt that home owners will help with a crash.

Jason

Old 03-07-2005, 01:39 AM
Trailblazer

Dude, dont tell us you didnt have it insured. I also have it (about 200 per year) and there are deductables just like a car.
Where would you be now he she damaged someone (herself included) or something with your quad? Well, it could be a lot worse I think....

Good luck.

Old 03-07-2005, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

I still owe my quad to yamaha and I didnt get insurance. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I probably should, but I wont. I doubt they will cover all the mods I have

Old 03-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

Your just crazy to let a just anyone ride your atv. Dont be surprized when you find out her parents have hired a lawyer and are going to sue you. A new Kodiak without insurance,letting just anybody ride it shows your NEGLEGENT!!!!
I dont even want to ask if she had a HELMENT on.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: crashed brand new 05 Kodiak