Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 01:58 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior starting problems

I have a 91 yamaha warrior, its been really weird about starting with the stater since day o,e when i first got it... it was getting fire but not all the time so it took luck to get it started... after the first few weeks it wouldnt only start cold.. once u rode it awhile the start would not start it.... then for some reason it changed its mind an would only start warmed up, wouldnt start cold had to push start it... and now.. it gets no fire at all.. it will push start an fire right up easily every time... iv taken it to shops an i keep getting different theories but not answers, one tells me its the cdi box.. one tells me it wont run at all if the cdi box is bad.. but it runs if u push start it... an some even tell me its the stator but that has nothing to do with the spark plug firing does it?... my personal theory is the start is rubbing the fire... the start drags sometimes an if u test the coil with a VOM.. it dosent read anything when u hit the start button.. but as soon as u let off it gets a spike.. sometimes it starts with the start button... most of the time it dosent.

I dont want to waste money on something that wont fix it.. i need to know if its the starter.. coil.. or cdi box, or is there something im over looking.......

Old 03-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Range Rover

When you push the button to start it does it sound like its trying to crank over but just doesn't? Or do you hit the start button and it doesn;t make a sound at all? Not to sure what your saying but it could be a few things. One problem I had with my warriors is on the one, it would try to crank over but would never fire up. The problem was the pilot jet was to lean and once I richened it up it solved that problem. On my other warrior when i hit the start button it would do anything, no noise from the starter or what not. That was caused by the p-brake being all messed up and not grounded correctly because the owner before me removed it. With that one I knew it was the p-brake because if I turned the key to the off position then held in the start buttom while turning back to the on position is would try to get a quick start then stop. Check the parking break, and also check your pilot jet. Hope this helps a little, I cant really say anything about your CDI or stator because I dont know exactly what you are saying it is doing.

Old 03-06-2005, 03:13 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

Sorry i didnt make it clear lol, well.. the starter turns the motor over.. but it makes a really weird sound.. like a clanking sound.. not sure what that is or if its normal for it to make that sound... it has good compression an runs fine when u push start it.. the starter just wont start it.. it doesnt weven try to start it gets no fire at all when u hit the start button... sometimes it will fire an crank.. when u ride it for awhile an get it warm.. but not always.. if it was a problem with the motor or carb it wouldnt run when u push it off would it?... im pretty new to atvs so i dont know much about jetting carbs an all of that stuff...

when i got the warrior the intake boot was cracked so it got rode for awhile sucking alot of air im sure.. it was just alittle crack but i just replaced it with a brand new boot from yamaha this weekend... and my airbox has an.. unwilling mod lol.. the guy i got it from lost the airbox bolts an rode it alot with the air box moving arond an melted holes in it.... so im sure its getting alot more air than stock.. should i rejet it?

the guy i got it from did not take good care of it at all.... he rode it hard an never did much other than checking the oil atleast..... i just rebuilt the motor.. new rings etc. didnt do any motor mods or anything like that so its still mostly stock

Old 03-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Range Rover

If there was a crack in the intake boot and holes melted in the airbox, that isn;t good. It will make the quad run super lean because of the air that is getting into the engine. Did you check your valves when you rebuilt it? I would do that also and make sure there ok. If it pop starts when you try that but it doesn;t start with the push buttom it could be something electrical but it sounds like you are prob really lean on the pilot jet especially if there are holes in the air box. Get a new airbox without holes in it and see if that helps. Next time you ride it, when it is warmed up try starting it with the choke pulled out some and see if that makes a difference. If it does you are running lean, but once the quad is warm it really doesn;t matter if you are lean and a lot of times it will start up anyways. I wouldn't recommend riding it without a new airbox or proper jetting right now because you can ruin your new piston and rings if you ride for a while like that.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:23 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

I got a new intake boot so theres no cracks now, and im working on the airbox problem...
but its nothing to do with the motor i dont think, it has new valves also, it runs fine when u push start it so theres nothing wrong with the motor.. u just cant get it to start with the start button, something isnt sending fire to the spark plug... either the stator is bad... the coil, cdi box or the starter is robbing fire from the plug.. i dont want to replace everything an waste money tho... can anyone tell me how to test my stator? and if there is anything else that could keep it from getting spark