Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

3-Position On-Command® 4WD: FACTS PLEASE?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3-Position On-Command® 4WD: FACTS PLEASE?

We are having the same old tired debate over on the Polaris forum about AWD and Locked 4WD. I'm not looking for an argument, nor do I want to discuss the pros and cons of different systems. No opinions please. I don't have a Yamaha Owners Manual handy so I need you guys to fill me in. Here are my questions regarding the Grizzly and 450 Kodiak:

1. How are you instructed to switch from 2WD to 4WD and at what speed is it possible?

2. How are you instructed to switch from 4WD to 4WD LOCKED and at what speed is it possible?

3. While in 4WD LOCKED does the machine have full power in HI and LO?

4. What is the "OVERRIDE" button for?

We have already been through the bickering and attitudes so please respond with fact only. I am interested in what the manual has to say, not for the purpose of further dispute but for my own fullfillment. Let's see if we can do this in a civilized manner.

Old 03-10-2005, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry for the boring post guys, I'll do my own research.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

You were right about the override button being for foward speed.
As far as stopping to shift on the fly. It has a warning to stop because it may handle differently. This is to prevent someone from sueing them if their thrown off. I have shifted from 2 to 4 WD passed 45 MPH with no problem. "Instructed" and being able to do it with no mechanical damage is two different things. In todays world of SUE happy people they have to cover all bases.
Were all ATV fans and with all the groups trying to outlaw us we should use our energy to fight them and not between our selves. If I can on a little rude I'm sorry. Enjoy you ride.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

1.) they say to stop, but you dont have to. odviously it is safer to stop though. i have engaged at 5 to 10 mph with no problems. i dont see the need to be going faster and needing 4x4.
2.) they again say to stop. i surly would not be going fast when doing his, becouse of the ease of loss of control. youcan do it at 5, 10 or even 15 mph, but you would probibally crash.
3.) no. there is a rev limiter, to keep you from trying to go 50 in locked 4x4. i beleave it is set at 22 mph. again, you cant steer in locked 4x4, so going fast would be dangerous.
4.) it is to get power in locked 4x4, if needed to pull more rpm,s getting out of a hole, mud, so on.

hope that helped!

Old 03-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CamoKodiak450
You were right about the override button being for foward speed.
As far as stopping to shift on the fly. It has a warning to stop because it may handle differently. This is to prevent someone from sueing them if their thrown off. I have shifted from 2 to 4 WD passed 45 MPH with no problem. "Instructed" and being able to do it with no mechanical damage is two different things. In todays world of SUE happy people they have to cover all bases.
Were all ATV fans and with all the groups trying to outlaw us we should use our energy to fight them and not between our selves. If I can on a little rude I'm sorry. Enjoy you ride.
Thanks for the reply, too bad I just slammed you over on the Polaris site, sorry about that. You couldn't be more right about using our energy to keep the sport alive instead of against each other. You love your machine, I love mine, I can live with that. I can't wait to enjoy my ride if it ever gets above 20 out there, don't know about yours but my heater sucks.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

Just for the record I didn't get into a Yamaha/Polaris bash over there using any Yamaha info I gathered, if you look you will see. I did do a little Ken bashing but hopefully Ken and I have come to a truce at this point. Let's just get along and keep things educational. Thanks for the replies guys.

Old 03-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

its 20 outside and you dont want to ride? geez... i dont care if its -10, im going riding... they have a choke for a reason [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

yeah, I know, hopefully my next machine won't have a choke at all. I use my Sp600 every other day for both barn chores and fun, just can't wait 'till I don't have to bundle up like an Eskimo to ward off frostbite [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mich660griz
1.) they say to stop, but you dont have to. odviously it is safer to stop though. i have engaged at 5 to 10 mph with no problems. i dont see the need to be going faster and needing 4x4.
2.) they again say to stop. i surly would not be going fast when doing his, becouse of the ease of loss of control. youcan do it at 5, 10 or even 15 mph, but you would probibally crash.
3.) no. there is a rev limiter, to keep you from trying to go 50 in locked 4x4. i beleave it is set at 22 mph. again, you cant steer in locked 4x4, so going fast would be dangerous.
4.) it is to get power in locked 4x4, if needed to pull more rpm,s getting out of a hole, mud, so on.

hope that helped!
Yep, I agree, and Id like to add, I have engaged the 4wd at 40mph, and as long as the front drive shaft and the back drive shaft are spinning the same rpm...itll engage. It can also disengage at that speed, once the load comes off...switch to 2wd, wait a sec, lift the throttle a bit, and itll come out of 4wd.
Im pretty sure the reason they want you to come to a stop, is liability issues, its not gonna hurt any thing mechanical, to go 2wd to 4wd, on the fly.

Old 03-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

kinda sounds like most part-time 4x4 pick- ups and suv's, just have to use your head and let the gears fall into place. as with any machine, full throttle changes mean trouble.