Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Rod Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Raptor Rod Question

Ok, I've been running a stock bore 11:1 setup for about a year now with no durability problems. Last time I took it apart the rod, wristpin, etc all looked fine. I'm doing a little headwork and a new carb setup and hope to gain about 10 hp, but I'll be sticking with the stock bore 11:1. Now when I talk to engine builders they all say they the rod will definately go. I've been online here for a while and seen many a member post about a broken raptor rod. My question is will I be pushing the limits of my rod with a stk bore and 55-60 hp, or will I be alright without it.

Kit and kaboodle its around 600 bucks to have a rod installed turn key handing them an engine. 300 I could deal with, but I'm not sure its really worth it right now. I would appreciate any input on this subject. I know that many have busted rods, but I also know many that havent. Just looking for a little info to ease my mind an point me in one direction or the other.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wiesico is selling a complete crank,with their hot rod installed for around 200 bucks

Old 03-08-2005, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Boy did you just open up a can of worms. Just kidding......

If it were me I would replace the rod just because and get it balanced while you are at it. The theroy behind about the rod could be due the reason a few people were running wide open at top end for long periods of time running stock carb causing a lean condition. When I replaced my rod it was .005 out of round, a ticking time bomb....

I would call Bob Craycraft and ask his opinion...

Old 03-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Range Rover

hey derbyking where have you seen the hotrods at i looked but had no luck finding one for a raptor

what do you all think about hotrods
i am leaning towards carillo but i have heard of a few problems with them also
what rod do most craycraft bikes run?

Old 03-08-2005, 10:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: derbyking
wiesico is selling a complete crank,with their hot rod installed for around 200 bucks
I'm aware of that, but only recently so thanks for the reminder. The problem is the cost of labor, most shops want about 600 by the time you figure in a 200 dollar rod, 100 bucks for bearings, and the labor.

Originally posted by: Ernie660R
Boy did you just open up a can of worms. Just kidding......

If it were me I would replace the rod just because and get it balanced while you are at it. The theroy behind about the rod could be due the reason a few people were running wide open at top end for long periods of time running stock carb causing a lean condition. When I replaced my rod it was .005 out of round, a ticking time bomb....

I would call Bob Craycraft and ask his opinion...
I did open a can of worms, and I know it. But if anyone can help me out is the guys here like you. I wont be running stock carbs, and jetting will by done on the dyno w/ someone who knows much more than I.

I'm planning on more engine work in the next year or so. In my mind I would rather wait and replace the rod when I replace the piston and bore the jug anyway. I'm torn between spending the big bucks now and being done with it or waiting until I have to tear apart the bottom end anyway and will have more of a budget. I'm not one to start a job and not spend the $$$ to do it right, I'm just not sure its necessary right now.

I plan on giving Bob a call tomorrow and getting his input. I talked to barker since he supplies a lot of rods and he said that its not an option but a necessity. Normally I concede to those who know more than I do, but I've just seen so many powerful raptors running stock rods w/o problems here that I find it hard to justify it for a stock bore build.

Old 03-08-2005, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

Replacing the rod now means you won't get hit with an big unexpected repair bill later. No matter who does the work or which rod/piston you buy, have it all balanced.

Old 03-09-2005, 12:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

This has to be an error or typo. Complete crank with a better rod than a stocker for $200? A complete stock crank is over $500. If it is true, please point us in the dirrection needed to obtain this new crank and rod. TIA

Old 03-09-2005, 02:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: wshrdskin
This has to be an error or typo. Complete crank with a better rod than a stocker for $200? A complete stock crank is over $500. If it is true, please point us in the dirrection needed to obtain this new crank and rod. TIA
No typo, just look up the Wiseco website. I dont believe it comes with the main bearings though.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Hey dog, I don't own a raptor so I will just tell you about rods in general. RPM will kill a rod. Load really does not kill the rod. With that in mind, you really don't want to rev an engine to the moon with a reputation of having a bad rod. If it has a heavy piston, so much the worse.
You are very knowledgeable and I think you already know what you "need" to do. Do the right thing and change it out. If you don't change it out soon, then I would not rev the **** out of this thing until it's done. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

One last thought. When I see broken rods on anything, most of the time they save the headers, intake, carb and water pump and throw the rest in the trash. In short; it's ugly.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Haha, yeah I was just trying to talk myself out of spending the extra dough. Nothing like spending over 2k and still running stock bore.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I'll be ordering my rod tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Raptor Rod Question