Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Mounting heated grip switch on 05 Grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting heated grip switch on 05 Grizzly

To power the switch I ran two wires back under the gas tank and connected one directly to the battery negative and the power side I connected to the solenoid for the winch.

Old 03-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

OH yea..for power I gave up on trying to make it part of the accessory wire system....I'm just gonna run a direct line to the battery with a 15 amp mini fuse and try to make sure I don't leave the heat on when the machine is off. Kinda a pain in the butt though to have to turn it off and on every time... oh well....

Old 03-12-2005, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

Yup...the plate definately. Theres room for more there too. the first little circle I'll drill thru and put a switch into is the one that says do not drink alcohol and drive.....A box type cover can be put on later to protect the backside of the switches from the elementsI alredy covered them in that liquid electrical protector goop anyhow to seal them up and protect the connections...and I soldered the wires to the spade clips.

Hey Grizzlyadams....how did you wire in those overides? Can you give me any info on that horn too? I do have need for it....thanks....

Old 03-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the 2003 grizzly which didn't come with any over rides, diff lock or rev. I believe that your 2005 has a momentary bypass button on the handlebars for the diff locks. To override the reverse I put a momentary button (normally in open position). If you take off the side panel cover on the drivers side right below the gas tank you will see a bundle of wires held together with a strap. There is one lonely white/green stripe wire there. run two wires from your switch, one wire gets connected to the white/green wire and the second one goes to ground. When you push in the button it grounds out your rev limiter for reverse. You can either use a momentary push button mounted on the handlebar, or a toggle switch that is either open or closed. You can also just interupt the white/green wire with a mechanical clip and run a wire directly to ground, this will permanetly override the rev limiter. I put a toggle switch incase someone else is using the bike who isn't use the awsome power of the grizzly, like a honda rider

Old 03-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

I wired mine into the lighting circuit, since the 96 Foreman doesn't have an accessory circuit. The reason they tell you to use the accessory circuit is that in case a short or other problem develops, you're not going to cause a problem with a vital circuit, say the ignition for example. In my case, if the heated grips develop a problem, all I'll lose is the lights, which since I don't ride much at night isn't the end of the world. My only other option was to wire it direct to the battery (an unswitched circuit), and I know that it would be only a matter of time before I forgot to turn them off and killed the battery. Probably the first trip out and every trip thereafter..lol

Mine (grips and thumbwarmer) draws about three amps, which added to the lighting adds up to approx. six amps, well under the 10 amp fuse rating for the lights.

Just for a laugh, I'll share this. When I first got it, I noticed a run of telephone wire (the small 4-conductor stuff) going along the frame from front to back. On further investigation, I found that the previous owner had peeled the end of ONE of the tiny wires, doubled it and jammed it into the ignition circuit block of the fuse holder, with the fuse holding it in place, and then run the other end of the wire up to the heated grips and thumbwarmer. And God help me, it was working... I changed it right away.

Old 03-13-2005, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

wow Chilly....that was a lucky find. I guess I overengineered my connections. I was afraid that the draw of the grips would be too much for the accessory circuit. I did'nt know they draw so few amps. I read somewhere else that somebody tied them into the headlight circuit and it dimmed the headlight so I did'nt wanna do that. I probably could have tied them into the accessory (lighter type) socket circuit then...its just that the wires seemed so small.....its a 10 amp fuse for that circuit. I guess the best thing would to do like a boat by running a good gauge wire to a "buss type" power strip in the front of the machine so that everything can be tied into that with a minimal length of wireing and everything can be easily accessed by removing the front rack and cover below it.