Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Want to know how fast your Raptor can go? I put a computer speedometer on mine!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2000, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a new Raptor last week. I am an avid mountain biker, and I though, you know, why can't I put a bicycle computer on this thing? So... I bought a new Specialized wirless Team computer and rigged a pickup that goes onto the right side tortion bar bolt. Took some JB Weld and glued the magnet to the side of the rim. Wallla! It works great. You can get supper accurate readings because you do a wheel rollout and program that number in centimeters into the computer,It is very accurate. I will post how fast it goes when I top it out. Not yet though, not broke in. If anyone would like some more info on this, Let me know. The only thing that was a little different. The computer will only pick up the signal for about 25 inches. I had to drill two little holes in my right fender and mount it there where I could see it. It looks good, but I hated to drill holes in my brand new bike. Oh well, It works great. By the way, It is waterproof also. You can get one for around 60 bucks. Ride ON!

Old 09-26-2000, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

I did that bike speedo on a few of my quads and ill give you a little secret.Dont go with the wireless one because you will have nothing but problems as you say.Just get the wired one and cut the wire and extend it however long you need it to reach your handlebars.But the way to go now is spend $120 on the Garmin Etrex.This thing is only the size of a small cell phone and you can get a handlebar mount for it like i did.Now i can tell my speed,time,date and the best part drive in unknown wooded areas and find my way back with no problemo.I will post some pics soon so you guys can see how small it really is. Tim

Old 09-26-2000, 10:50 PM
Range Rover

I mounted a Cateye Enduro Cyclocomputer on my 400ex. I lengthened the pickup wire. Piece of cake. I also have a Magellan hand held GPS so I have the best of both worlds!

Old 09-27-2000, 03:28 PM
Range Rover

I put one of the Cateye bike speedo's on a Recon, it works great but I wonder if they are very accurate at high speeds since the tire will get bigger as the quad goes faster and that will throw off the accuracy since its calibrated to the size of the tire. I very carefully measured the distance around the tire using a cloth tape marked in millimeters but the thing says that the Recon's top speed is only about 42 MPH and it felt like it was going much faster than that. I think most people report that it runs around 50 or so. A GPS may be the way to go, as far as accuracy is concerned.

Old 09-27-2000, 03:33 PM
Range Rover

Good idea for speedo, but I am sure some aftermarket company already has one in the works.

As for a recon doing 50, no way, no how. They top out around 45 on a good day.

Old 09-27-2000, 08:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. Where did you get that at and does it tell the mph at all time or just when you push a certain button? Sounds really cool.

Old 09-28-2000, 08:39 PM
Range Rover

The Cateye Enduro model has an auto start feature. As soon as the wheel rolls and the sensor picks up the pulse from the wheel magnet it turns on. It displays MPH all of the time and there is another sub-display that is button selectable for trip time, distance, average speed, and clock. It's really cool. $29.95 at most bike shops.