Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly oil filters

Most people here are looking for tips on service or they are looking to lend advice. It helps the people on this board to have as much advice and from as many people as possible. When they get to the end of the thread they can take the advice or leave it. As I read down your posts here I see the claim “They've been known many times to disintegrate and take out entire engines”, how many times have you seen it? What proof do you offer? Nobody that I know of would risk using a low-priced filter to save a few bucks at the possible expense of an engine. I see that you don’t like Fram but the only evidence you can bestow upon us ignorant hicks here if that “my friend Rob's engine was destroyed by a disintegrating fram filter”. If you feel no need to “prove anything to anyone” don’t, I wouldn’t want you to. The reason I asked is that I am curious and would like more information on the exact circumstances leading up to the blow out because you may have a point. Saying that the filter caused the problem is what you have done; you have failed to articulate the reason why the filter disintegrated. How do we know that your friend wasn’t using paint stripper as a lubricant? I am not attacking you; I am simply looking for more information.

Old 04-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

I would like to know who told Rob that the Fram filter caused his engine to blow. Was it the dealer?

Old 04-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

I change the oil in my Grizz every 20 hours. Now, Am I suposed to change the filter along with that, or does it matter? I do, and I pay the dealer for the Yamaha filter. I paid over 7 g's for this bike, I don't think I will be skimping on 2/3 bucks. and I pay for the Yamalube oil.

Old 04-02-2005, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a whole page of ones that will fit Oil filters

Old 04-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

I don't like to throw money away. $11 for a Yamaha filter or $2 for a Walmart filter. I could buy 5 Walmart filters for 1 Yamaha brand. I can't see spending extra money if I don't need to. If other brand filters do the job, why spend more? That's why I ask on here. I thought that maybe someone had used other filter brands ( cheaper ).

Old 04-03-2005, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

Wolerineman, why spend money on insurance if you haven't had a heart attack? To me using a high quality filter is cheap insurance.

Rob cut open the oil filter after his engine blew and found the disintegration of the innards. Now I'm not saying this will happen to everyone that uses a fram filter, I just avoid them personally. I run the $7 amsoil filters. I think $11 for a stocker is pretty absurd as well.

Old 04-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would run a stocker untill it is off of warrenty thou

Old 04-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HughJazz
I would run a stocker untill it is off of warrenty thou
If it gives you piece of mind, then go for it. But just so everyone is aware...it is not necessary to run the yamaha filters. It will not void your warentee to run aftermarket filters, like fram or supertech.
America is a marketers dream. So many people buy into slogans and marketing hype, that we spend way more than is required, for so many things. Its a corogated piece of paper in a can, its not rocket science, whatever you use, will be fine. If it were junk or unsafe, your owners manual would state so, and tell you to avoid it. As long as it states on the package, thats its approved for auto use, and meets all the requirements, of all makers, they are equals.

Old 04-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

It sounds to me that Vakero has the more tested and scientific background in the filter discussion ill side with him on this one. Plus I use FRAM TG-5 in my truck. I like the sound of the single pass rating of 98%. Thanks for that info Vakero.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Since this post came out I have had time to try some stuff. I went with wal-mart supertech 6607 and 7317 oil filters (whichever is on shelf at the time of purchase), both $2.07 The 6607 fits and looks close to the stock filter in size, the 7317 is 3/4 inch longer but still fits ok in the grizz engine compartment and gives a little more oil in the system. They both work fine, have several thousand miles on the machine now and no oil related problems what so ever! I see and hear a lot of hype over this stuff but am more into sensable alternatives that actually do work! If they work and not $12.00 for each then I will continue to use them.

Quick Reply: Grizzly oil filters