Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly oil filters

Has anyone tried the ( Walmart ) Super Tech 7317 oil filter on their Grizz? It is a half inch longer than the stock. The dealer wants $11 for a oil filter. The Walmart Super Tech filter only cost $2.07. Will the longer oil filter cause any major problems? ( lower oil pressure, etc....)

Old 03-28-2005, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

Good find , might have to add a smidj more of oil , let us know , I dont want to steer you wrong but I dont see how that will affect the oil press. It looks like there is enough room in there for it to fit .Isnt it funny how things cost almost 10 times as much at the dealers cause its for a toy ?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 03-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

Fram also makes an oil filter the same size and same number****7317*** They cost a little more, about $5. That's still better than paying the $11 for the Yamaha brand. I've been told that any filter that fits the Mazda 626 will work on the Grizzly. Don't know if its true though. Here are some other filters:

Fram....... 6017A

Mobil....... M1-108

Mobil.......M1-110

Purolator Pure One......PL14612

Fram.....7317

Super Tech...7317

I don't know for sure if they work, but this was a list I got .

Old 03-29-2005, 08:57 AM
Pro Rider

Avoid Fram at all costs. They've been known many times to disintegrate and take out entire engines. I'd also avoid using supertech automotive filters as well. I have spoken directly with a few filter manufacturers, and they've all advised me that motorcycle-specific oil filters are set up for much lower flow rates, and that an automotive filter would work, but might not deliver the right amount of oil. A friend melted his prairie with an automotive filter on it, for no apparent reason, and my local shop has had 4 in with auto filters blown up. While you or your buddy may have gotten away with it, it's not a practice I would recommend....

Amsoil smf-103 is one, or just use an oem filter. I'm sure there are others.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the advice. That's what I've been waiting to hear.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I use fram all the time, and never had an issue.. the bosch 3300 and the super tech is more highly rated than almost all the rest. Both are made by champion.The reason most people hate the fram, is because of what they have read...not what its done to them. If it was an inferior product, they would have been sued out of business, or they would have had to change the design. Just because the filter is held to a carboard endplate doesnt mean anything if you change it once a year...they dont use elmers glue, its a synthetic glue, which isnt effected by oil or heat, if changed at least once a year. The ones that are held by crimped metal, dont seal as well as the glued end caps, so you actually take more risk of particles floating around with the crimped style.
Heres a good site with info on filters and a crossreference on filter numbers. There are alot of choices , for the grizzly, its a very common motorcycle oil filter...lots of street bikes use the same one.
filter info
Pressure wont be effected by physical filter can size, just make sure the oil on the dipstick is correct, and itll be fine.

Old 03-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

Now I'm confused. I usually use Fram for my truck and car. I haven't had any problems. I have a Super Tech filter now. I'm just not sure if I should try it. Anyone else ever try one on their Grizzly?

Old 03-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

You guys can risk running frams to save a buck or two if you like... Don't cry when one disintegrates. A friend (not something I heard) lost his entire engine due to one coming apart. You get what you pay for. As important as oil/filtration is to engines, don't cheap out there...get yourself some cheaper tires or somethin..

I have no opinion to offer on supertech filters. All I can say is don't use auto filters on your quad - period. The amsoil filter is like 8 bux, and so is a stock filter. How much is a new engine? Do you guys realize the dealer WILL NOT cover it under warranty if your engine blows with an auto filter on it? Now guys don't even try to bring up the magnusson moss act - that's a joke. The point is, use the right tool for the job.

Old 03-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

The OEM filters here, are $11 at the Yamaha dealers. I'm just trying to see if I can get by with a cheaper one.

Old 03-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

The amsoil smf-103 is $6.90 at the dealer/preferred member price($10 to get those prices for a year), or possibly a few bucks more if you buy it thru a dealer/retail. I believe it's a far better filter than the OEM and it could save you a few bucks too. Mobil 1 also makes a filter that's of better filtration media than oem, but it's around $12.

Quick Reply: Grizzly oil filters