Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I have still not found a 4 stroke with the powerband of a banshee ! Have You?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have still not found a 4 stroke with the powerband of a banshee ! Have You?!

yea, but theirs just something about that 2 stroke, when it comes in and the mid gear launch thats tryin to pull the front wheel/wheels up (or does), that just smears a big toothy grin all your face and keeps ya wantin. I miss my kx 250 ![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default I have still not found a 4 stroke with the powerband of a banshee ! Have You?!

I'm not trying to get into a 2 stroke vs 4 stroke powerband issue or go bashing on the shee, its just that relative to say the 250R, the banshee powerband is very narrow. It is a rush when you are in it, its just very narrow.

Old 04-02-2005, 12:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The only 4 stroke I have ridden that had a powerband like a 2 stroke was the YFZ450, it really gets it for a 4 stroke.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

I had a banshee before my YFZ 450 and sure it was fun to hit that power band and get that thrill for a few seconds, but when racing on a little track i have i couldn't believe how crappy it was compareed to when i got my YFZ. You don't need that kick like the banshee offers when you have constant power and still some what of a kick with a YFZ 450. Coming out of a turn into jump was horrible with the banshee because if there wasn't quite enough room to get to your power band you wouldn't have enough power to hit the jump. With my YFZ, although it's still better to shift down before the turn, it has enough power to not even have to shift and still hit the jump with tonnes of speed and power.

You won't find a four strokethat hits like a banshee, but thats not what the companies are striving for anyway let alone wha most people are looking for.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yeah my banshee picks the tires up in poweband

Old 04-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

Feeling the powerband is not feeling a lack of power before the powerband. You can design a two stroke to run without expansion chambers and it will feel kinda like a fourstroke. The thing is though....... pipes are like a very simple turbo charger that only works in a certain RPM range so when they discovered them they went Yay, now we can use tiny two strokes and make the pipes get massive amounts of power out of them! Then of course they feel like they have no bottom end because they're using tiny motors but I guess they figured ohwell less weight, cheaper, etc....
You can simulate the feel in a fourstroke though. When you put a really big turbo on a small motor that has a hard time spinning it up (turbo lag) you get about he same effect because, well, they are doing exactly the same thing.

Old 04-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

yeah my banshee picks the tires up in poweband
Thats, the problem, thats the only time it will.

Old 04-02-2005, 03:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

no in 1st it does just puttin and barly hittin the gas and if i stand on the back it will in any gear

Old 04-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

this thread is just stupid and pointless

Old 04-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

That two stroke hit is mighty addicting, that's for sure. I desert raced two stroke dirt bikes for years before switching to ATVs. But even after riding big four stroke ATVs for a few years I could not get used to a four stroke dirt bike to save my life. I bought a 2005 250F, and returned it to the dealer a month later and traded it on a 2005 YZ250. The "F" just did NOT feel the way a bike was supposed to feel, not even close. But after just one twist of the throttle on the YZ I knew I had re-found what I was looking for. My dealer said he sees that all the time, namely, people that have ridden two strokes for years, and then purchase a four stroke, only to end up thinking "this thing is a gutless wonder", and switching back to a two stroke. So I suppose it depends on what you are used to, and what you are expecting. If you have ridden a Banshee for years you will never find another ATV to replace that two stroke hit, because nobody makes that ATV. It is going to be a sad day for us two stroke addicts when the two stroke finally goes the way of the Dodo bird.

Quick Reply: I have still not found a 4 stroke with the powerband of a banshee ! Have You?!