Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Finally bought a new Raptor, but I have a question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally bought a new Raptor, but I have a question

Hey guys,

I just got my Raptor finally. Its a 2005 Raptor 660R. Here's the deal though. You all are probably gonna laugh at this first part, but i don't care lol. When i got home, the Raptor would not start. When it did start, it would only stay on for about 2mins then it would die. Come to find out, it was out of gas lol. Like almost completely out (i could still see gas in the tank though so i thought it was ok). That problem is solved. Here's the other thing. I'm not sure if its supposed to be like this or not, but there is engine coolant that is leaking out of the bottom. where the hose enters the engine. Its not leaking at the hose, its leaking at the bottom of where the water pump is. I noticed there is a small hole at the bottom. It's not a crack, it looks like its supposed to be there. But engine coolant drips out (very very slowly). Is this normal? Or is there a problem?

Old 04-02-2005, 09:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would make the dealer aware of the leak first thing but run it a little to see if it doesn't stop on it's own.

Old 04-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

Alright. The only reason i even noticed it is because i already had my engine and swing arm skid plates, and i was putting them on as soon as i got it home. And there were a few drops of engine coolant on it. But i'll call them and let them know on monday. I'm going riding tomorrow, so i'll keep an eye out on the coolant level to see if it changes or anything.

Old 04-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Trailblazer

Definitely cant be normal.

Old 04-02-2005, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

yea just keep an eye on it to make sure your not getting low on coolant and notify your dealer asap. Congrats on the new ride, you'll love it. Welcome to the 660 club [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

Are you sure its not the overflow thing?

Old 04-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

It might be overflow from when they topped off the fluids at the dealer

Old 04-02-2005, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

I'm not sure about that. Do you all know of the hole i'm talking about? There's a hole at the bottom of the water pump i believe, and there's engine coolant dripping from there. It comes out really really slow, so i'm not sure. I did just get it today, so i'm not sure. I'll watch out for it tomorrow and let you all know, thanks.

Old 04-03-2005, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: IceBreakerG
I'm not sure about that. Do you all know of the hole i'm talking about? There's a hole at the bottom of the water pump i believe, and there's engine coolant dripping from there. It comes out really really slow, so i'm not sure. I did just get it today, so i'm not sure. I'll watch out for it tomorrow and let you all know, thanks.
there shouldnt be a hole in the bottom of the pump...unless ur looking at the carbs and its the overflow tubes...

Old 04-03-2005, 01:05 AM
Range Rover

It's better to be safe then sorry.. I'd have the dealer look it over... It's free. When my brother first bought his V-force the dealer kind of... forgot?.. to go through the fourwheeler.. topping off fluids and tighting caps and everything.. and EVERYTHING leaked and he ended up bringing it back and got all that fixed and ended up needing a new... umm... i forgot.. something big though... It overheated fast. So yah.. have them check it out.. they could have just missed something on the look over before they sold it to ya.

Quick Reply: Finally bought a new Raptor, but I have a question