Big Bear Mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Bear Mods

This thread can be moved to a more appropriate category if deemed necessary. I posted here in hopes that more Big Bear owners would get the info they need.

I got my mods a few days ago and tore into the Bear almost immediatley. First I added the HMF utility series pipe, which sounds great IMO. It was really easy and pretty self explainitory. Just remove the stock pipe from the header and the rear bolts, and it slips off with a little twisting and pulling. HMF sent a new clamp for the area where the header meets the slip on, so I used it. The HMF slipped on just as easy as the stocker came off and the bolt holes lined up perfectly. One problem I did run into during the installation of the pipe was in taking the stock bolts out of the rear. I guess the heating and cooling caused some swelling, so the bolts were a pain to remove. They were just hard to turn the hole way out. I looked for cross-threading in both the bolts and in the holes, but found none.

Next I installed the K&N air filter and outerwears filter cover. This was very easy and took about 5 minutes. Just follow the instuctions that K&N give and you'll be fine. It was a little tought to get it to seat in the posts that hold the back side of it in, but nothing to worry about. I just applied some force and it popped on in.

Fianally I needed to get in the carb and change out the main jet. The main in my quad was 112.5, and I switched it to 115 for now. I haven't been able to get a good plug reading yet, so that may change. At first I was worried about messing with the carb, but then as I eased into it, I found it to be quite simple. I never had to remove the carb from the quad, nor did I have to remove the tank. I simply loosened the boots on both sides, allowing the carb to spin away from me and giving me access to the float bowl. I took the float bowl cover off ( one brass screw sux the others are ok) and found that a sensor was holding me from removing it all the way. After loosening the sensor the bowl came right off. The main was right there, so all I had to do was use a flat head and a wrench to remove it. I put the new main back in, closed it all back up, and took off for a ride. It never sputtered or bogged at all. I never touched the needle clip, I did however mess with the air/fuel screw to get a good idle. I used a diagram for help with finding things I didn't know about. Also want to say thank you to all the fellow members who gave me info reguarding this under-taking.

All in all I noticed gains right away. Nothing major, but definetly an edge over stock. The tourqe and pull are what I noticed off the bat. I plan to line up with a fellow Big Bear rider this weekend to see just how much faster I get through the gears compared to stock. Its hard for me to tell just by riding it myself. If anyone has any questions or comments feel free to post away. I will do my best to answer and if I cant I will refer you to a few members that can. Also if anyone has any suggestions as to future mods for me, post those to. I have new tires and skidplates in line for the next round. Sorry for the long post, just trying to share some information the best I can.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Bear Mods

hey i got to get those mods for my 05 bruin 2x4 so you noticed an improvement? thats what i was wondering about when i was looking in the catalogs, i upgraded my tires to mudlites what a difference over the stockers! i got the at's wish i would have got the xt's now they have a 25" inch one out now with the big lug at least for the rears.

Old 05-08-2005, 10:14 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Big Bear Mods

Thanks for the input. The Big Bear breathing is next on my list of to do's. I have already installed all new skids on my 05 BB. The one thing I run into is the full chasis skid plate ( Ricochet brand ) will not fit a BB with a winch and roller fairlead mounted. Mine has the Yamaha Warn 2.5k winch kit. I had to trim about about 1.5" off the front so it would fit. I have pics of the finished product.
The Ricochet swingarm skid fit like Yamaha made it but covers much more of the rear axle than either the stock or the one offered in the Yamaha accessories catalog. I put Moose a-arms guards on mine and they were no problem either.
26" ITP ATR's are an excellent choice for all around traction. I use mine for work and play and am very happy with them.