Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Loud clunk when shifting.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud clunk when shifting.

All I care about its, is it bad? Does it cuase a threat to any part of the tranny? Will it cause problems?

MIke.

Old 04-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

my warrior, when i shift into 1st also i have to almost let the clutch all the way out to even get it to move, i tried to adjust the cable (underneath the brake cable) and it doesnt do much any ideas.Also when i shift into reverse i will pull the clutch all the way in and it will jolt backwards like 3 feet.Do u think the clutch is about to give up the ghost?

Old 04-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Range Rover

I have had this same problem for some time as well (with the clunky raptor into first gear) sux don't it? I have gotten it to a miniumun however with adjusting the free play in the clutch lever. Look in your manual and it will tell you how many mm. of gap of free play you need. I think its like 5-7mm but check it, i could be wrong (and prolly am) hate numbers.....

Old 04-11-2005, 11:01 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: hondabuster
Its posible the clutch plates are sticking together, and not fully disengageing. If you jack up the rear end off the ground, so the tires dont touch the ground, start the motor, and hold in the clutch, and put it into 1st...do the back tires start turning, even though the clutch is pulled in?
Mine def. does this and it pisses me off...is this bad that it does this...would a clutch upgrade help or anything like that?

Old 04-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

There is no single cause of a sticking clutch. Some more common reasons for a sticking clutch are:
- Clutch controls are improperly adjusted. Clutch cable is collapsing.
- Clutch spring tension is too tight, spring binding.
- Too heavy an oil has been used in the clutch. A thick viscosity oil can cause the plates to stick, especially when cold, or a driving style that slips the clutch. Changing the oil in a clutch often improves the situation.
- Clutch plates are warped. Friction plates or metal plates may be warped.
Some is just a part of being a wet clutch. All of theme dont fully release until the oil is hot.
Id start with an oil change, to the recommended viscosity, and use full synthetic oil, which flows much better when cold. See if this improves it. But if the rear tire isnt being continuosly driven with the clutch pulled in, the plates arent sticking that bad.

Old 04-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

I called the dealer, and they said they don't cover clutches???? they said its a wear part thats not covered, they said they will check it out but will charge for estimate if I don't do the job with them.

I have been using 5W30 so its not the oil

My question is, to fix the slipping clutch, do you need any major part changes, clutches, basket, etc.
Because warrenty doesn't cover clutch parts and I would like to know if there is a possiblity for have to pay a large sum for fixing it.

MIke.

Old 04-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

Do you think if I just let it be, then it would cause some problems in the future?

MIke.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

nah.. its no problem. my warrior does it sometimes from 1st to 2nd and nuetral
dun worry bout it.