Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

honda trx450 vs raptor 660

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 02:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda trx450 vs raptor 660

Originally posted by: vinny3299
yeah but even if you do beat it the 660r weighs more too.. take ti up against a yfz and see what happends lol ;-)

Can we at least agree to keep it about the rappy and the 450 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Doubt many are going to agree on much else anyhow.

Old 04-16-2005, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Freez
I will agree that stock for stock the R beats the raptor in acceleration. I have friends who own a stock raptor and a TRX450R, both bought brand new. The 450R beats the raptor in acceleration, but not top speed. Also like to add the father who rides the raptor is double the weight of the son, but none the less the R beats it.

We installed jet kits, removed the airbox lids and baffles/spark arrestors on both quads. I did some calibration on the carbs of the raptor. Now, the tables are turned. The raptor kills the 450R, in acceleration and top speed, even with a rider double the weight.

I also have friends with 400EX's that they got from new and the raptor walks all over it. LTZ400's are quicker than a 400EX, and even the LTZ's are getting a kick up the zort from the raptors. Stock or not, a 400 will not stick with it. In a 300 ft drag the stock raptor is about 4 to 5 quad length in front. I sure call that a blow away. I must also add that the 2005 model LTZ is much quicker than the 2004 model. It is able to trade wins with a stock raptor, so watch out for those. Suzuki added some trick bits to the 2005 models. Both the stock raptor and 2005 LTX kills 400EX’s and even a brand new 2005 Predator we had.

When you ride trails, it's a different story. Best rider wins, not fastest quad.

I am not going to get into all the various models and your experiences but I will agree that with just basic intake and exhaust mods the rappy is one of if not the best at giving you solid results.

I think its just from how Yami had set it up so restricted from the factory, and just adding an exhaust and a good flowing filter with the air box mods (and jetting it right too) makes it accelerate like a totally different machine. I have done this with/for more than one rider and its been night and day every time, and the change or increase from stock was in excess of any other 4 stroke I did this too.

Just need to be carefull of the exhaust you pick because I felt a real loss in bottom end on one with a non adjustable full flow set up, and the top wasnt really any different than the others. Guess even with a torque monster 660 too much flow can effect torque especially in the lower rpms.

Old 04-16-2005, 08:24 PM
rc3
Pro Rider

Yet another comparison, I own a YFZ 450, wife has a raptor with yoshi exhaust pro flo kit , and jet kit. This last weekend I was racing my YFZ and wrecked and had to use my dads TRX 450 with the same mods that our Raptor has for Sunday's race. Now I own two Yamaha's and yes the YFZ has more hit and take off power than the TRX, but as far as the race. The Honda handles every bit as good as the YFZ if not better and definately out handles the Raptor, and handling makes the power more usable on the Honda, I am not to sure that I was not faster on his TRX that I have rode twice, than I am on my own YFZ. The honda's are no slouch., very good running machine and unless you got a big bore kit on a Raptor you are not going to beat any piped YFZ or TRX 450's in any race that you are going in a straight line. Anyways we are luck to have all these high performance 4 strokes coming out, and soon to have another great contender in the new Suzuki 450. Good Luck and they are all great quads