Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why are the 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee) bad for trails? Why aren low rpms bad for 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are the 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee) bad for trails? Why aren low rpms bad for 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee)?

Why are the 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee) bad for trails?

Why aren low rpms bad for 2-strokes?

Why do you have to ride in high rpms inorder to be fine, for the 2-strokes? Do you have to be geared high also?

Old 04-12-2005, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why are the 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee) bad for trails? Why aren low rpms bad for 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee)?

ehlitdew:

You need to go out and buy a banshee. I'm sure you'll love it. Two stroke engines just don't make alot of power at low rpms, that is why they are not the best trail machines. There are situations on the trails where you just don't want to have to nail it.

Two strokes can have good low end power if you have enough displacement. Take for instance my old dirt bike. It has almost 40 lb/feet of torque. It will idle up steep hills. This is because it is nearly a 500cc engine. It still has an amazing hit when you get into the powerband but it has good power before you hit the powerband. A stock banshee does not have the kind of low end that my 465 has but it probably would if you put a 500cc kit in it.

You really should get yourself a two stroke, we all know that you want it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Pro Rider

I Love 2-Strokes Especially Blasters.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:55 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ehlitdew
I Love 2-Strokes
i loves em 2...............
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-12-2005, 08:05 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ehlitdew
Why are the 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee) bad for trails?

Why aren low rpms bad for 2-strokes?

Why do you have to ride in high rpms inorder to be fine, for the 2-strokes? Do you have to be geared high also?
low rpms are bad for 2 strokes because they dont have enough torque....its as simple as that

Old 04-12-2005, 09:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two strokes that are set up for a big hit in the powerband tend to tire the rider faster. There are motors out there set up for a smoother power delivery that are great on the trails. One example is the 85/6 LT250R. They have decent power across the RPM range right from the factory(i.e., no big hit anywhere) You can set up a Banshee for more low end also, but it takes money to smooth out that hit some. If your engine is jetted correctly, then lower RPM shouldn't be a big problem for a two stroke. Of course, you will still foul plugs quicker than a four stroke, but I wouldn't say low rpms are 'bad' for the engine.

Old 04-12-2005, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

My Shee Does Great on the Trails[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Prolly not as good as the Raptor or 400ex but i keep up with my Buddies 500 Scrambler and a 400Sport With no Prob.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-12-2005, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

my banshee does fine on the trails all i have is traction probs but ill take care of that with my new itp holeshot tires

Old 04-12-2005, 10:52 PM
Trailblazer

I have a ? Its not good to hold 2 strokes wide open for very long right?
Plese correct me if im wrong.
What are the things u can do and shouldnt do to a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke?
Thanks

Old 04-12-2005, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

oh yea i ride with my freind and his 2005 400ex we ride alot of wooded trails we are as fast as each other in the trails but going up the hills he pulls ahead alittle because i spin alot with my stock tires but out in the open we race around a flat track we made in a field and i can pass him

Quick Reply: Why are the 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee) bad for trails? Why aren low rpms bad for 2-strokes (Blaster and Banshee)?