Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

OLD OIL OOO NO

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OLD OIL OOO NO

i just changed the oil on my warrior it was sooo old it was completely dark brown and even smelled old the oil filter was completely thrashed it looked lik the guy who owner it before me beat it w/ a hammer b4 he installed it when i dumped out the oil into a thing my dad has i saw some metal shavings and im a lil worried i need it to last atleast another 2 or 3 years my dads worried about the engine bearings i checked the plug its perfect and i didnt see ne signs of engine damage on the plug but i dont want to open it up becuz i just got it started and running again my dad said to just change the oil every 6 weeks untill winter then we will tear it down and have r selves a look see does that sound ok or should i check NOW!

Old 04-18-2005, 12:35 AM
Range Rover
Default OLD OIL OOO NO

Check the compression with a compression tester, im not sure what it should be though, but it should give you an idea how the rings, piston, and sleeve are doing.

Old 04-18-2005, 12:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!
Default OLD OIL OOO NO

i would asy check it out now... the shavings are prolly from the crank hitting the cam i bet u $5.. that's what happened on one of our gokart motors that had old oil.. and then the rigns went and it ran out of oil.. and there was just a couple shavings i nthe motor...

Old 04-18-2005, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default OLD OIL OOO NO

Originally posted by: Speedy2222
i would asy check it out now... the shavings are prolly from the crank hitting the cam i bet u $5.. that's what happened on one of our gokart motors that had old oil.. and then the rigns went and it ran out of oil.. and there was just a couple shavings i nthe motor...

Want to send me that $5 Speedy ?
The Warrior is an overhead cam engine.
Meaning the crank is at the bottom of the engine and the cam is at the top.

Old 04-18-2005, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default OLD OIL OOO NO

Fourwheelers make a bit of shavings since the oil is for both the transmission and the motor, if there is a good bit though and they are relatively big they can kill your oilpump which in turn kills the top end not to mention its a sign of something somewhere falling apart. Mine did it, its not pretty. You could try putting some fresh oil (cheap stuff) and filter in it, ride it a while then check the filter again, ride a bit longer the next time and check again. That should tell you if theres a problem or if all the old was just caused by the owner letting years worth of it build up. Listen for odd sounds when your riding it though. A loud tap tap tap(very slight tap is normal) can be the oil pump dead and letting the rockers get dry (when that happens you got about 5 minutes before the cam is torn up and the rockers sieze), a clunk or knock can be the rod knocking, etc....

Old 04-18-2005, 03:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default OLD OIL OOO NO

I have a 05 raptor 350 same motor ive changed oil 3 times every time it has had a some metan shave'ing in it as JAKAL said it is ok to have some shave'ings in ur oil from what i hear the 350 is best known for doing this more so than other's if its not a lot dont sweat it just change your oil and put about 5 hours on it and change it again to kinda help flush out the old oil and see how much metal u have this round .

Old 04-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!
Default OLD OIL OOO NO

Originally posted by: OhHell
Originally posted by: Speedy2222

Want to send me that $5 Speedy ?
The Warrior is an overhead cam engine.
Meaning the crank is at the bottom of the engine and the cam is at the top.
****.. wow.. i look stupid.. srry the last engine i took apart was an 8hp lawn mower engine ... so yea..

Old 04-18-2005, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default OLD OIL OOO NO

alright thanks guyz il send an update in about 6 weeks when i change it again now i installing my plastics bak on cuz i hadda go over the whole electrical so there all off but i realli think the guy i bought it from is stupid half the bolts r metric half r not and some werent even there!!! the gas tank was never bolted down!!!!!!!