Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

new 800 grizz news anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 800 grizz news anyone?

I doubt that Yamaha would have a Polaris motor in their quad. I also heard this, but highly doubt its true.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Range Rover

Thats what I wish they would do too, but I don't think it will be a V-twin. I wish it would be though, I love the power on the Twin Peaks 700, add that with fuel injection and it would be sweet.
my point exactly they really need to come up with a efi and twin b/c the comp. is starting to leave them in the dust with technology.... although a single pistion is easier to rebuild i would much rather have a twin!! well i guess we can all dream....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

The polaris motor is 2 valve per cylinder, and the crank is not one piece (pressed together). The crank on those polarises can't take much more umph. The 2 valve pushrod design isn't that great for flow. That would be a poor choice for a motor.

Kawasaki will be producing something more serious this year. If yamaha wanted to produce a quad that is always second to kawasaki, the polaris motor would do fine.

I think the guys that said it is a street bike inline 2 cyl, with EFI are correct. I also think it will be a sporty kind of machine with SRA to compete with the prairie, or beat the prairie. I heard rumors that the prairie would have a larger more agressive motor this year, and yamaha is stepping up to the plate to compete with it.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

I have heard that street bike news for some time.That would not surprise me from Yamaha.Just like borrowing the Raptor engine (more or less) for the Grizz.
Now....a 750 Prairie sounds alllllllllllllllllllright!
02 650 camo

Old 04-29-2005, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

I heard a Prarie 750 Vtwin(brute force engine) with EFI. Now that will be sweet, if its true!

Old 04-29-2005, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

The BF motor has 8.8:1 compression. Raising it to 10:1 would increase horsepower a lot.

Also the timing is retarded 5* or more across the whole rpm range. Low RPM timing is even more retarded to prevent excessive wheelie power.

If they wanted to get more power out of a brute motor, they could get a lot of power with minimal changes.

I hate to say this, but I seriously doubt that yamaha will tune their 800 2 cylinder up as much as possible. I bet they are going to water it down so it isn't dangerous like everyone else does. But, if they really do water it down, it isn't my fault just because I called it here. So, nobody jump on me for that.

Old 04-30-2005, 04:00 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CTATV
if these companies were really on top of what people want they'd be working on clean burning twostrokes because even though everybody is all in a huff about how great new performance 4 strokes are I guarentee you if they started making performance 2strokes again all the riders like bill balance would go right back to them. GNCC forced him off his 250r by creating the production class.
A 2-stroke in a Ute would be the biggest POS ever. No bottom end torque would be it's biggest down fall. They are great in a sport bike but not have the torque output that a 4-stroke makes.

Old 04-30-2005, 05:00 AM
Pro Rider

I love the "I heard" posts.

Old 04-30-2005, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

Starky, we talk because we are excited about it. Although I have "heard" the 660 will be the same this year, I am tempted to wait to be sure there are not going to be any improvments before I go for the KQ. Also, I am tempted to wait and see if the KQ is improved for 06 too. At least I have something to ride while I wait.

As always, when the real deal comes out you will notice some of us heard more right than others and some of us were listening to a load of crap. It is also possible that everyone is wrong, I have seen that before.

Old 04-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Range Rover

I agree, I'm hoping for all we are saying here, but don't bash us for letting our imagination run wild! And there's no way a Polaris motor will EEVER end up in Yamaha. They've got some of the best motors (and engineers) in the world.

Quick Reply: new 800 grizz news anyone?