Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yfz 450 vs. bombardier

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yfz 450 vs. bombardier

Well all my experiences with yfz's are on roads and wide open trails...we were both completely stock at the time and he did weigh bout 20 pounds more than me....on take off it was dead dead even...his tires were bald so he spun allot as did i at about 4th gear i pulled away and could leave him pretty good. When we were on the back roads i gave him my gps for a speed run he did it and pinned his quad i pinned mine and could catch him fairly easy. The ds650 is big and heavy but it doesnt feel like it is when u drive it, my friend who is a ssmaller guy drove my ds the otherday and came back telling me wow that things insane it feels so light and has so much power for how big and heavy it is. From what ive seen and from riding the stock yfz and my stock ds650 baja x if the yfz had better tires and could hook up better i think it would get me off the line and i would get him in a little longer run. The power on the ds650 is all mid and top the bottom is a tad bit slow untill u get to about 5 thousand rpms then it kicks in like crazy big time mid power hit, the suspension is very very good in my opinion far better than any other machine out for comfort 12 inches of it you can hit almost anything and sit down on the landing.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

the DS is usually better for bigger riders. it had plush suspension and tons of torque. its also really comfortable. like someone said before its good for sand and desert riding. tons of power. ive seen a couple of drag DS's too with swingarms... one was a turbo and was really smoking some modded banshee's. in a couple of drags he even waited till the other quads got off the line till he started moving. passed them right away. of course that was a highly modded DS with a turbo like i said. they do put out a lot of horsepower and handle pretty good from what i hear... not like a 450 but surprising for their size.

Old 05-25-2005, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RDZ350
Stock vs. stock:you'll should smoke him.

That is funny. You must be a comedian! Ha Ha!! How far ahead does one have to be to "smoke" someone? I have raced them in a straight line and there was NO smoking either way. I win every time in a straight line stock for stock. Through the woods and the right rider, I can be beat. But he'd better bring it.

Seriously, both machines are bad as hell. The size issue? Look, the DS is about 2 inches taller. 2 inches!! That's it. With the Elka ssd's it lowers it 2-3 inches. Okay now we are the same height. Maybe shorter.
Width? They are 1-1/2 inches wider. Big deal! Name one racer that does not go with a wider rear axle? Or +2 a-arms?
The thing-stock- is as stable as they come or more.
In the tight woods going as fast as you can being pressured by other riders just as fast on smaller machines, yes, it is big. Yes you/I will loose.(If they can get around!)
As for low-end power, a super simple mod is removing the endcap and replacing it with an open one. The factory exhaust is actually a racing exhuast that is severely restricted and there have been many tests that prove the end cap mod is the most practical.
Hands down the most comfortable ride ever.

However, if I had to do it all over again for the type of racing I do (GNCC style hare scrambles) I would get the YFZ if I want to win.
Oh yeah, I think I am getting ready to do it all over again[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] My DS is 500lbs of bad *** and I am only 150lbs soaking wet. It flipped on top of me 1 month ago and both of us got wrecked pretty good. Insurance co totaled it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
I will finish by saying this If you do get one, your new YFZ will begin to accumulate dust from being left at home.

Old 05-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I was saying was,I think a yfz will outrun a DS.I know there's a real monster in the DS.THEBOM has beat me enough to know that.Dude the DS has huge potential.I wouldn't mind getting one myself.I still prefer my banshee,but that's just what I like.I'm not even interested in a yfz.Not that they're a bad bike,just not my thing.

Old 05-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mudnuri
Originally posted by: RDZ350
Stock vs. stock:you'll should smoke him.

That is funny. You must be a comedian! Ha Ha!! How far ahead does one have to be to "smoke" someone? I have raced them in a straight line and there was NO smoking either way. I win every time in a straight line stock for stock. Through the woods and the right rider, I can be beat. But he'd better bring it.

Seriously, both machines are bad as hell. The size issue? Look, the DS is about 2 inches taller. 2 inches!! That's it. With the Elka ssd's it lowers it 2-3 inches. Okay now we are the same height. Maybe shorter.
Width? They are 1-1/2 inches wider. Big deal! Name one racer that does not go with a wider rear axle? Or +2 a-arms?
The thing-stock- is as stable as they come or more.
In the tight woods going as fast as you can being pressured by other riders just as fast on smaller machines, yes, it is big. Yes you/I will loose.(If they can get around!)
As for low-end power, a super simple mod is removing the endcap and replacing it with an open one. The factory exhaust is actually a racing exhuast that is severely restricted and there have been many tests that prove the end cap mod is the most practical.
Hands down the most comfortable ride ever.

However, if I had to do it all over again for the type of racing I do (GNCC style hare scrambles) I would get the YFZ if I want to win.
Oh yeah, I think I am getting ready to do it all over again[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] My DS is 500lbs of bad *** and I am only 150lbs soaking wet. It flipped on top of me 1 month ago and both of us got wrecked pretty good. Insurance co totaled it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
I will finish by saying this If you do get one, your new YFZ will begin to accumulate dust from being left at home.
i dont think its just that its wider, taller and longer than most stock quads these days. just the whole design of it is open and bigger riders "fit" it better. a 13 year old is a little small for a DS but they may be borderline or perfect size for a yfz. i think the DS being wider is a good thing. thats 1 plus over the raptor (raptor is in its class, not the yfz). also the wheelbase is longer so its going to absorb the bumps a little better and from what ive heard you can land most jumps on the seat. thats pretty impressive.

Old 06-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

[quote]

Oh yeah, I think I am getting ready to do it all over again[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] My DS is 500lbs of bad ***
LOL, 500lbs......
With the YFZ tipping the scale at around 350lbs.... It's like comparing apples to oranges...

Old 06-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

Don't I know it. It's like wrestling a bear! If I had the money I would get a YFZ for next season and, if I had the money, I would get the new quad that is all secret.
Our 14 harescramble race season just ended. I placed 8th out of 26 riders for the year. So I beat and got beat by every make.
Loved your private msg end ORKER. I see clearly your intelligence is limited. Please don't include me in your fantasies.
You are like so many weak people in this world, you can dish it out, but you can't take it. You get your jollies off at other peoples expense, then cry foul when it's thrown back in your face. Well boo-hoo. I would prefer a truce or even I give up and you win.

Old 06-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

end ORKER. I see clearly your intelligence is limited. Please don't include me in your fantasies.
You are like so many weak people in this world, you can dish it out, but you can't take it. You get your jollies off at other peoples expense, then cry foul when it's thrown back in your face. Well boo-hoo. I would prefer a truce or even I give up and you win.
Hmmmm, I don't know why you are picking on me???
Perhaps now we both have someting in common..... That is we both don't know what you are talking about...
1st off I can't take credit for any humiliation you may have caused yourself......
2nd the only one I see complaining and crying foul is you.......

I would like to think I have a positive effect on the people I correspond with on this forum..... It is unfortunate you do not feel so.........

Anyway, in the future I just hope you direct your anger toward someone else......

Old 06-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Trailblazer

ok boys hears the cope, the 2005 kicks ***, and thats just stock, if you add a pipe and rejet it look out ,im a guy that weighs 275, this is a bike for big guys!! they handle like a dream you pull the trigger and hold on for dear life! there nothing like a 700 kaw, this thing kicks ***! i run dumount on comp hill and run right up a raptors ***, you add the pipe and rejet it this this will eat you up and spit you out in the long run,

Old 06-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

Yfz=fast ferrari. DS=fast cadilac. First off, anyone can be beaten at any time, on any machine, someone is always faster. Now I've not riden a yfz, but if it's like my banshee, I'd need to get off of it after 30 mins of riding. My ds I can literaly ride 5-6 hours strait. Sure the yfz is faster around a mx track, thats what it's designed for. The ds does feel taller than my shee, but never tippy {ulike raptor}. For a big machine it handles well, again it's not a mx bike. Yfz is 100 pounds or so lighter than ds. Ds has 200 more cc's. If you wanted to desert race, where you are in the seat for multiple hours at wide open, the ds would be your first choice. As for kfx 700, if it had a manual tranny, chain drive, and didn't weigh 516 pounds {46 pounds more than ds}, maybe it could hang with ds. Maybe.

Quick Reply: yfz 450 vs. bombardier