Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor, weird problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 12:00 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor, weird problem

Just had my raptor up to the dealer for its first tune up after I've had it...valve adjustment etc...

So i brought it back home and ran down the gravel road after it'd warmed up. I had it topped out for a mile then turned around and did the same back. All the sudden it made sort of a booming sound (not like a backfire) and a big whoosh of air. I rolled to a stop because it had died...waited maybe 30 seconds and it fired up again so I limped home with it.

I can't see any oil on the motor case or any broken hoses, so apparently I didn't blow a seal or bust a water hose (which is sort of what it sounded like)

Is there anything else it could have been? Could air have gotten in the fuel line possibly? Let me know if any of you have an idea what it could be. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2005, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

did you blow a tire? make sure you didnt blow a tire out. Does the rappy run good? i hope it wasnt anything serious. I would think they had the gas tank off to do the valves, but the air should have bled out while you drove it home in your truck or whatever and when you first warmed it up.

Old 05-04-2005, 07:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did it run after you started it back up?

Old 05-04-2005, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

Yea, have you run it hard since?

Old 05-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Range Rover

yeah I had it running at idle for probably 20-30 minutes in the shop looking for leaks and things, then I took it back down the road slow for about half a mile then came back to the house hard for the half mile back.

It really seemed to run just like normal, though I was a little leary of pinning it for any length of time.

I really don't know what it could have been...when it made the big woosh noise I lost all power, then let of the gas and rolled to a stop. So it was something to do with the motor...I'm lost as to what it could be...thanks for the replies guys...

Old 05-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Range Rover

Was it a high pitched or low pitched whoosh? More of a whish than a woosh? Was it loud enough to capitalize the whoosh? WOOSH - see, that sounds louder!
...I woosh I could stop these horribly jokes...

But seriously folks...

I'd just recommend making sure all hoses are tight, especially the usuall carb boot intake.

Old 05-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like a carb boot blew, i ripped mine and when it ripped i heard a big whhoooosh then it idled down and died.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

Im thinking the carbs ran out of gas, the engine backfired and the big woosh was the popping/ripping of a carb boot. Id let the engine idle and spray some starting fluid (Ether) around the carb boots and if the engine revs up, youve got a leak.

Old 05-04-2005, 07:16 PM
Trailblazer

I would agree with the carb boot problem. Another thing, where did you get your gas, it could have been bad gas and it didn't ingnite in the cyclinder.

Old 05-04-2005, 07:22 PM
Range Rover

yeah that carb boots make sense, I hadn't really thought about that yet. I'll have to check them out next time I'm home.

gas comes from the barrell on the farm, but its a pretty high turnover barrell so the gas is never old...though we get the 15% ethanol blend, some people don't really like that but I've never had a problem with it (dirty carbs or otherwise)

Quick Reply: Raptor, weird problem