Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor exhaust mod results and the REAL deal with the A-arms

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2000, 05:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bash
i cant say , i know it is a lot better than with the restrictor and the arrestor in place.
it pulls hard off idle and rev a lot faster than stock. it feels faster on top , but it could be just the louder sound of the pipe.
if i punsh the throttle just off idle in 2nd the front-end comes up.

Old 10-04-2000, 08:18 PM
Trailblazer

bash
would you please keep us informed of what yamaha says about your Aarms ? been reading some of these posts about the raptor and they make me think and look at my raptor that much closer
because it is a new machine
BUT must say love it so far

Old 10-04-2000, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bash - Why don't you make some timed runs with a stopwatch while the motor is stock. A half dozen or so runs on some tacky ground/pavement would give you a nice baseline to check your future mods against. Not to mention that it would give the forum readers a better idea of what worked, versus what "felt like it worked".

The exhaust/jetting mods could be your first test... whatta ya think?

Old 10-04-2000, 11:48 PM
Range Rover

Ok Bash... I dont think your too lean you definately noticed if you were..."Way Lean" it would be almost a burbling sound then the engine would pick back up... It should be ok.. that baffle will not make that big of a difference.. especially on a engine running a stock intake configuration... run the engine hard then shut it off without letting it idle for very long like run it around for like 15 minutes, then make a couple of hard passes down the street... then pull directly in an check the plug... might wanna let er cool down first.. as long as its not really white, or a grey ash look it would not be too lean.. if its a light tan. its close to perfect... you can also run your finger around the exhaust tip too see if theres any soot if there is it may be a tad rich... not likely
also not any back firing... if it back fires throught the pipe.. usually a little rich,, throught the carbs definately way too lean and could be on the way to burning a valve.. when in doubt take it to someone who know's what there doing and let them rejet it.. also bash have you ever riding at livingston.. in ky we are going there this weekend... its pretty awesome. you should go there sometime.

Old 10-05-2000, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

A guy ran A Raptor at the local dragstrip (dragway 42) and hit 89 mph consistently.

Old 10-05-2000, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

89 mph?!!!!! What the heck had he done to it?

I still plan on putting mine on a dyno to measure the differences between stock and modified.

Old 10-05-2000, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

That's easy. He had it in the back of his Ford Lightning P.U. Just Kidding. 89 seems steep though, maybe he re-geared it even higher. P.S. Unfortunately, you are one of the reasons that I haven't put my name on a Craptor yet. I hope Yamaha resolves it with you. P.S. One of the dealers in my area (1 of 3) is so proud of his 2 Raptors that he feels that he can charge $7000 + tax, etc.... Guess what? The other 2 dealers sold all theirs on the first day they get them. He still has his. Moral of the story, the other 2 dealers made money, he is sitting on aging inventory and pissing ALOT of people off.

Old 10-05-2000, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

hakmazter,

What's left to resolve? The dealer fixed everything with no hassle at all.

Old 10-05-2000, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

FWIW and not to start a flame war...

When my friend broke his swingarm on his 400EX back in January of 1999, the Honda rep first told him that they had never seen one break before. Later, a different rep told him that there were only 2 in the country that they knew about. They ended up replacing it under warranty, but the moral - you can't always trust what the manufacturer's reps are telling you as far as failure rates...

Old 10-05-2000, 02:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Bombardier customer service and the dealers do the same thing whenever something breaks. They deny it has ever happened before, but they cover it under warranty.

Quick Reply: Raptor exhaust mod results and the REAL deal with the A-arms