Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Anyone been to the Badlands in Attica IN?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2000, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody here have information, how to get in touch with the authorities to get maps, directions, camp sites, motels, etc? Not interested in dunes but would like to challenge hills, pits and wet land diversity.
Chuck, Suzauki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Old 10-06-2000, 09:08 PM
Range Rover

This place is awsome. There is so many hills. It would take you all day to climb all of them. Most are sand , some dirt. There is plenty of dunes, ALOT of mud, and Some rutted out trails. There is plenty of creek riding(including the famous colvert pipes to jump out of). It would be well worth the trip. But you will need a hole weekend.

Old 10-06-2000, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read enough.Now when are we leaving?
Bill

Old 10-07-2000, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

I will get busy as soon as I get this program over with this weekend Bill. As I said, TV's, air conditioning and for all of us, showers. Does anybody know if we need to get Off Road Licenses for Indiana, and what they might cost for out of State individuals.Thanks in advance.
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

PS: Tree Farmer, I made a promise to myself to come over to ride with you sometime next year but do you think you'd like to make this trip?
No commitments yet. Just think about it for May, 2001.

Old 10-07-2000, 04:27 AM
Pro Rider

Don't speed in the parking lot...owner will make you sit for a hour and if you don't like it leave.
It's not sand it's small gravel and will chew up HP.

Old 10-08-2000, 03:24 AM
Pro Rider

You don't need anything to get into the badlands except fifteen dollars, and a hand to sign the waiver. No permit, registration, or anything. Hell, they don't even want to see the quad.

They ARE VERY strict about riding in the parking lot. I was checking my brakes last time I was there, kinda powerbraking a little. Back tires turned over one time, and I got a chewing that a drill instructor would be proud of.

Don't bring in any alcohol. If they find any in your possesion after you enter the gate, they'll make you leave. They'll ask at the gate if you have any, and you can leave it with them, and pick it up on the way out.

The rules are few, but I think they are in the best interest of all. I like to drink a beer every once in a while too, but I don't want to ride with drunks. Don't even want to ride AROUND drunks.

At times, there are real good mud pits, other times the place is dry as a bone. There is everything from silty sand to boulders. Lots of pea gravel hills where you need tons of power and wheel speed. If you have nice wheels, you might want to put the steel ones back on. About 50% of the time when we go, somebody bends a wheel.

There are challenges for everyone. Some that the average guy won't even try. Most of the hills are copies of each other. But it's still fun.

We usually hit the sand in the early morning before it gets to crowded. From there we will usually get into some minor mud, then ride the creeks to cool down and clean off some of the mud.
Back to the trails, some more sand, then we save the serious mudding for just before time to go.

If you want to put a ride together, and I can do anything here to help, let me know.

Dave

Old 10-08-2000, 02:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Me and my friend and a few other guys are going oct 13 14 15 we heard it awsome

Old 10-09-2000, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Got a lot of info there IndyDave. Hope to make it there by May, 2001. There will be plenty of us coming from Michigan, if we find enough information about terrain, motels and travel, before we plan to come there. We'll contact you.
Thanks for your help,
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch..

Old 10-09-2000, 09:45 PM
Range Rover

hink,
silver lakes is in mears michigan, on the WEST coast right on lake michigan. it is about a 4 hour drive from chicago. there are some major dune climbs here. dunes that make the badlands look weak (and yes I have been to both). Im not sure how long it would take you to get to either one but even if it took another hour or so to get to silver lakes it would be worth it. you will see some seriousley hopped up quads and trucks and dune buggies and bikes. they also have a awesome sand drag and a little mx type of track. the dunes themself are huge maybe 150 to 200 feet. be carful because you can totoally launch your quad off the top if you are going fast. im talking some serios air time. it costs about 20 bucks to get in. there are also plenty of hotels around the area to stay for a weekend. have fun wherever you go . adios!

Old 10-10-2000, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

IndyDave, I made a few calls to the sorce and it looks as though the Badlands, of Indiana, is a privately owned 700 acre piece of land. Sounds like fun to ride and test your skills. We have a place called "The Mounds" in Michigan, not quiet as big but has all the tricks without the sand. If we decide to come that way, will contact you. Thanks again.
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...