Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly vs. SP500

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2000, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg,
Thanks again for thr info about locking the front. Have you seen this happen? The adverse effect on down hill riding? Or are you just speculating? I was about ready to take a blind leap and do it. I haven't had any luck talking to someone who has locked their front end. Or anyone who has ridden with someone who has locked their front end.

Bill,
I absolutely believe what you say about the Polaris winning the 9 of 11 pulling events. However I was just wondering how many 400cc 2-strokes out pulled the 500-600cc 4-strokes? I guess I can't speak with authority about it becuase I haven't ridden a 2-stroke quad. I have ridden 2-stroke dirt bikes though. While they will flatten your eyeballs when in the power band, they had sh*t for low end. I understand why a good 2-stroke rider has to be good at slipping the clutch. Have to keep that engine wound up, or else no power. Is the xplorer water cooled? And if so, do you have to be careful about letting it warm up before riding so you don't sieze the piston? I hear the banshees have to be warmed up really well before riding for that reason. As for the belt drive thing. I wasn't saying its a bad thing, hell mine is a belt drive. Its not as good as a munual in my opinon, but I've learned to live with it and in some respects like it. I'm alittle confused as to why you need to be so careful about using low range? I ride in high most of the time, even off road. I haven't had a hint of a problem with belt burning. I'm just not clear about the difference between the two. Most of the Polaris guys that I've read have had to learn the hard way when to use lo range. By burning their belts up in hi.

Old 10-06-2000, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

01Grizzly,
I have not seen this on a Grizzly locked, but other bikes locked. What happens as you go down a steep incline is that one wheel may get in a bind on a root or rut and it is not free to turn independent of the other wheel. It basically stops both front wheels and you are off to the races. I think that is why polairs makes their systems the way they do. Yes it is a full lock system but only for pulling, it releases when going down hills. I am not sure if this makes sense to you, but take my word, it is dangerous. Only lock that bike if you are a pure mudder and no hills.

I even through my bike in reverse for a second before going down steep inclines to make sure my hubs are un-locked. They can and do remain locked sometimes. I had a scare myself due to the same thing I am telling you about now. We do some pretty serious hill climbing in Arakansas.

Greg

Old 10-06-2000, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

01Grizzly,
Go back to August 15th in the Polaris Forums.Read the article posted by Chickenman that reads ''ATV PULLS''.The whole story is written by Greg Hall.Actually,the Xplorer kicked some major *** for being a 2 stroke,it took three classes.

1.2wd 301-400cc stock class
2.4wd 301-400cc stock class
3.4wd 301-400cc open class

My Xplorer is liquid cooled.I give it full choke in the morning and upon starting,I imediately take the choke completely off.I let it rev for about a minute.I than take it easy for a few minutes of riding.It really is a suprize to me to.I've never really been a 2-stroke fan until this new Xplorer.

I woke up the low end with a new 25 dollar primary spring.
Happy Trailing,
Bill

Old 10-06-2000, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer

On my 99 grizzly I have 27 inch mud bugs with a locker kit. My brother has a 2000 sp 500 with 27 inch blackwaters with a locker kit also. Where ever he gets stuck I can walk right through it no problem. It seemed like the hole wasen't there even.

Old 10-06-2000, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer

On my 99 grizzly I have 27 inch mud bugs and a locker kit. My brother has a 2000 sp 500 with 27 inch blackwaters and a locker kit. Where ever he got stuck I could walk right through it no problem. It seemed like the hole was'nt even there.

Old 10-06-2000, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer

On my 99 grizzly I have 27 inch mud bugs and a locker kit. My brother has a 2000 sp 500 with 27 inch blackwaters and a locker kit. Where ever he got stuck I could walk right through it no problem. It seemed like the hole was'nt even there.

Old 10-06-2000, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

Performax,
Please tell me how you like the locker in your Griz, and how does it perform. I'm considering it myself. But I haven't talked to anyone yet who has one. Most of the people I speak with in here think its a bad idea. Is it?

Old 10-06-2000, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks again Greg. Its food for thought.

Old 10-07-2000, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

Hi Bill,
After re-reading your post I noticed that you had asked me several questions. Which I will now answer.
1. How is my rear drum brake after an afternoon of mudding?
To be completely honest I haven't really done alot of the deep stuff as yet. I bought it at the end of June and the mud had pretty much dried up at that point. However I have done a few deep water crossings. You know the kind where your tires are basically paddling you accrossed. The rear brake stayed tight and effective every time. I also haven't gotten any water in the tranny as yet and slipped the belt. Knock on wood.
2.Hows the heat on your legs on a hot afternoon of riding?
Warm. But not uncomfortably so.
3.What about the suspension?
What about the suspension? Is there some secret that I'm not aware of? Sometimes I go ripping down trails at speeds that even I would have to admit in retrospect were insane! The bike tracts very nicely. I haven't really got any complaints there.
I will qualify that by saying that I don't really have alot of experience on different quads. So there may be something thats better. But I don't find the suspension lacking, so I'm not looking.
4. Hows the vibration?
I don't notice any to be honest. But I've been riding street bikes for 22 yrs, and I may have desensitized.
5.How do you like the limited slip front end in the serious mud/snow vs the true AWD system?
I THINK IT FU*KING SUCKS!! Can't speak to the Polaris AWD system since I have never really tried it on trails.
I think its worth noting that all the things that I found to be short comings on the SP, didn't really seem to be short comings at all to you. All the things you find to be short comings on the Griz, I don't really find to be short comings either. Well.....except one. Bottom line here. Bill, I think we really like our quads! As it should be!

Later, Rick

Old 10-07-2000, 08:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

01Grizzly,
I guess what ATV options seems important to one person is not allways important to someone else.But I also think that is OK.We ALL have differant tastes in life,so be it.To me,I dont care what another person rides,I just care that he/she does ride.I certainly agree with you,we like our quads.

Now this new 650cc V-twin Kaw 4x4 thats coming out for 2001,whats your EARLY opionion of it?I like what im reading so far.In fact,my wife asks me when im putting in my order? [lol]

For some reason,I have to own one of the BADDEST 4x4s around.The guys that ride with me will tell you I do.I better stay away from the showroom of this new Kaw,or it could irritate me into getting one.A part of me is slowing down,I dont mud as much as before,nor do I take the risks I once did on hills.So why have such a bad as$ 4x4?Hell if I know,
''PERHAPS IT'S IN MY BLOOD''
Bill

Quick Reply: Grizzly vs. SP500