Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Another flaw

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another flaw

OK, maybe now I am just paranoid, and I apologise again for flooding all of you with questions. I have had my 03 Raptpr 660 LE for 1 week now, and so far I have done the following:

1) Put new sprockets and chain on the bike
2) 2 new tires on the back

Need to do:

1) Install the one way bearing starter deal, or have a dealer fix it.

Ontop of that I have noticed two other flaws, one minor one being that the front rigth tire is visually toeing in a bit, not concerned though because it rides staright and doesnt shake.

However I did notice the the frame has been welded all the way around it in one spot, and not from the factory either. Its weird thought because other than this one weld there is no other locations what so ever on the frame that show after production welds, or for that matter no where at all on the frame, a-arms, swing arms or anything that shows the bike took a heavy impact, the plastics are also in goog shape, just minor scrathes. I know the guy that owned it was a wheelie king because the grab bar was ground down considerably, and the license plate and one fender mount underneat was unattached from the fender, However the location of this complete after production weld that goes all the way around the frame is on the right hand side of the quad, about knee height, actually if u are standing looking straight on the right side of the bike, it is almost directly to the right off the 660R decal thats is on the bike, now i didnt notice this b4 hand as the weld had been painted over with black paint. It just seems like a very weird spot for a frame issue.

Should this concern me, again the bike seems sound, im worried about the fram giving out on a jump or coming down hard from a wheelie.

Again, maybe I am just paranoid, and shoulda bought a brand new bike. Im more worried aboout safety however, and of course not wanting to sink a ton of money into the bike.

Old 05-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default Another flaw

do you have a camera so i can see what u are talking about, its kinda hard to tell from ur description, but if it was welded right and it`s not in a high stress area it should hold up ok. a buddy of mine welded his 250R frame on the part where the top of the steering stem mounts, just below tha handel bars, and it held for i don`t know, at least a year, then he got a lonestar. but like i said if it is in a high stress area i would consider a new frame, you can pick one up from riva racing (www.rivayamaha.com) for about $600, and about another $350 for the subframe.

and the one way is normal for the rappys, its not hard to do. but i would consider the new L.A. designs one way, i dont have it in mine, but i hear good things. you can pick it up @ ripper racing (www.ripperracing.com) for about $200
and ur not worried about the toe, but its easy to do if you feel like just lemmie know.

and i might advise getting a factory service manual, any dealer can get you one. helps alot.

Old 05-21-2005, 01:39 AM
Range Rover
Default Another flaw

sorry man, i dont have a camera, I will try to borrow one. If your standing on the right side of the bike staring at it length wise its directly to the right of the 660r 5speed decal. Right where i have saw peeps inslat aluminum frame guards

Old 05-21-2005, 01:55 AM
Range Rover
Default Another flaw

ok, this isnt my quad, but i found a pic of one a circled the area in which the weld is

click

Old 05-21-2005, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default Another flaw

hmmmm seems kinda fishy to, me, i don`t know how you could brake just that part with out anyother noticable damage, but that would personally worry me, it may hold up for a while, but that can be a pretty stressfull area, and once you weld something the heat just weakens the metal, and if it was allready weak enuff that it had to be welded, it just made it even worse., but thats just my opinion.

Old 05-21-2005, 11:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Another flaw

Originally posted by: Blastermaster
hmmmm seems kinda fishy to, me, i don`t know how you could brake just that part with out anyother noticable damage, but that would personally worry me, it may hold up for a while, but that can be a pretty stressfull area, and once you weld something the heat just weakens the metal, and if it was allready weak enuff that it had to be welded, it just made it even worse., but thats just my opinion.
A proper weld will be stronger than the previous unbroken state. It's probably not a serious concern, but I would still ask the previous owner about the weld. I would also ask why this was not mentioned during the sale. Do you have the title? Does it say salvaged anywhere on it?

Old 05-21-2005, 11:17 AM
Range Rover
Default Another flaw

It doesnt say salvaged anywhere, as for the previous owner, Ihave no idea who he is. I bought the bike from a car dealership that has just recently got involved in atvs, and street bikes, they found it for me. I highly doubt they even noticed it because the bike arrived in their dealership Sat morning and I picked it up Sat aftrnoon. THe weld was painted to match the frame so u had to look close.

On that note, I just called the salesman and told him my concern, now unfortunately its a long weekend in Canada so there is little he can do right now until Tuesday. However he is going to firstly call the previous owner on Tues, and we are going to go from there.

He mentioned today in our brief call that regardless they will take care of it, whatever that means, we will see. I have a felling they will find me another 2003 and we will just swap bikes, and they can take mine away.

I hope, or maybe they will buy me a new frame?

I will keep u all posted!

Old 05-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Range Rover
Default Another flaw

I got some good news today, at least I think I did, I will have to wait and see if the dealer sticks to their word. The salesman I bought my Raptor off, told me today that they were going to do 1 of 2 things for me.

1) Buy a brand new frame for me and switch everything over

or

2) Find me a different 03 Raptor in good condition

either way no cost to me.

I am pretty pumped, I have to tip my hat to the dealership.

Old 05-27-2005, 06:51 PM
Range Rover
Default Another flaw

I just got off the phone with the dealer, tomorrow I am driving up there and I get my choice between 2 2003 Raptors, no extra money no nothing, i drop my current Rappy off and choose one of the 2 and bring it home.

Old 05-27-2005, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default Another flaw

wow..sounds like ur dealership actually cars. thumbs up for them!

Quick Reply: Another flaw