Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

what to do to break in

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 12:39 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do to break in

what do u have to do to break in a new machine because in need to know before i get mine and i dont want to screw anything up o and by the way im geting a Raptor 350

Old 05-22-2005, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

ride it like you stole it and change the oil after 15 hours. ride it as much as you can while it's under warranty and do your oil changes and air filter cleaning regularly. if it's going to brake,it should do it before the warranty is up. i never baby my machines even if i just brought it home. i have never had any real problems other than tire problems.
allot of people disagree with me though and you may want to due a search on this subject. this is a very controversial subject

04 raptor 660
few mods

Old 05-22-2005, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

check this out i looked at that site and it has me convinced. it is very controversial. you will get miced answers i promise you. just search.

Old 05-23-2005, 03:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: strongtyerYFZ
check this out i looked at that site and it has me convinced. it is very controversial. you will get miced answers i promise you. just search.
I agree.
Go to the Motoman site and do his break-in method step by step.
Lots of good info there!

Old 05-23-2005, 11:54 AM
Range Rover

hey the way to break in any motor is simple just dont revive the engine up high very much.... You want to go about mid range changing speeds all the time and be sure not to keep the same speed.. also about every 5 to 10 minutes hold the throtol pined for 5 or 6 seconds... Now that is just the riding part.. on 4 strokes you put top grade gas and change oil every gas tank for the first 3 fill ups.. After that do what the manual says.For 2 strokes you double the oil to gas reatio (for example.. if its a 50 to 1 you want to do a 25 to 1 gas to oil)... Do that for the first 50 hours.. as long as you dont
ride it like you stole it and change the oil after 15 hours. ride it as much as you can while it's under warranty and do your oil changes and air filter cleaning regularly
you engine will last you a long time... P.S. if you dont belive this ask any mechainc they will tell you tell you the same i know this b/c i am a mechainc.

Old 05-23-2005, 09:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with themadwarriorrider, ride it like you stole it. My dad was in the buisness for 20 years, when i brought my 05 Raptor home, he told me to drive it like you stole it..

Old 05-24-2005, 02:03 AM
Trailblazer

so what you guys are saying is that the tecs at yamaha as well as the manual are wrong
why are there step by step ins on breaking in the motor if its all bull, wouldnt you you think
yamahas manual would say race the shiz out of it if that was the rite way. me personaly
i dont know what to think.

the guy who works on all my old bikes uses a method close to what yamahalltheway was saying
and from experience on a brand new motor strait out of the dealer if ride it too hard it will blow
ive seen it happen more then once .

Old 05-24-2005, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider

ive broken in about 20 motors and have never had one blow

rideing the **** out of it is the only way i break in engines. and i am a part time mechanic and i would know also

Old 05-24-2005, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

One thing about posting a thread here is that you will get diverse opinions most of the time. I like to follow the owners manual, but it is hard not to mash down to WOT.

Old 05-26-2005, 12:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: strongtyerYFZ
I e-mailed motoman to ask some specific questions regarding breakin of new griz/kodiak as well as new apex and vector snowmobiles - this was over one month ago and have not had a reply. sent another email - again, no reply. don't hold much stock with someone who can't respond in a timely manner

Quick Reply: what to do to break in