Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

????!!*<Twist-Throttle>*!!????

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 03:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ????!!*<Twist-Throttle>*!!????

ok well im goign to be ordering trenga racings 30mm flat side carb kit with a reed spacer and they give you a choice of a new thumb throttle or a TWIST conversion throttle......no extra charge....i think this would be cool......what do you guys think, would i have trouble going from a thumb to a twist? I have ridden dirt bikes before but just a very little so i basicaly have no experience with it besides my scooter..........lol ok thanks guys

Old 05-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Trailblazer

thumb for sure twist is very dangerous while popping wheelies and god forbid you fall backwards your gonna be pulling on the throttle and the thing will shoot off..on my little scooter about top speed 30 the twist grips get stuck alot and i end up crashing it or killing it right before a crash...hope this helps

Old 05-29-2005, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

i had a twist throttle on my warrior..it only lasted about 3 rides before i took it off..so my opinion is stay with the thumb....

Old 05-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

It is easier to use a twist throttle on a bike, its got someit to do with the bike with only one front wheel and therefore needs lees effort to turn. In my opinion stick with the thumb throttle.

Old 05-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

I was forced to use one on my quad after I switched to PJ34s because I was too cheap to buy a thumb throttle setup for it. Only really bad thing is its hard to dump the throttle when you get in a bad situation. Going around a corner and it gets into the powerband, tires break lose, you get slung to the back of the seat, and you cant immediately dump the throttle because your hanging on for life. Same thing on unexpected wheelies. I guess I should anticipate those things and not get in those situations but it still happens. Other than that, it feels natural on a two stroke. Twitching your wrist and hearing it zing to the moon. It dosent feel near as bad in reality as you imagine it.

Old 06-05-2005, 05:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a twist on my raptor 660 and I'm going to switch back tomorrow because it really does get you into trouble. I have ridden dirt bikes a lot and thought this would be the best for me but after a few rides and I think a thumb is much better.

Old 06-05-2005, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

i rode my friend 660 wit a twist throttle and no rear brakes.. and it was so scarry.. i didn't even get out of 3rd. If u hit a bump, u will go flying.. u fall off.. ull go flying. Just stay with thumb.. save urself the trouble.

Old 06-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Warrior02man
i rode my friend 660 wit a twist throttle and no rear brakes.. and it was so scarry.. i didn't even get out of 3rd. If u hit a bump, u will go flying.. u fall off.. ull go flying. Just stay with thumb.. save urself the trouble.
...lol...try a cr500 with no front brake....its hairy...

Old 06-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

i would stay with thumb like others said its easier to crash because your natural instinct is to hold on and with a twist throttle you will hold open the throttle and easier to wreck

Old 06-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

My son has a ProMotion Vortex twist throttle on his YFZ, and I have the stock thumb throttle on my YFZ, and for some reason my YFZ is tons faster than his YFZ. I have an FMF titanium-4 slip on, and he has an HMF full system, so mods between the two ATVs are similar, except for the throttle. I wonder if his twist throttle is not letting him get full throttle out of the FCR carb on his YFZ, so I am going to pull the access panel off side of his carb today, and twist the throttle all the way to see if it pulls the slide all the way up. I actually prefer a twist throttle to a thumb throttle, and I have one on my work bench ready to put on my YFZ. But I will stick with the thumb throttle if it turns out that the twist throttle is not providing a true full throttle.