Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 660 won't start !! ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly 660 won't start !! ??

Ridinhigh, I just had the same problem with my raptor. I am pretty sure that it is the same 660 motor in both. The solution was really simple. The 3 exhaust valves were too tight and don't allow it to turn over. I know a guy that works on bikes and he fixed for me within 30 minutes. The way you check them is to remove the spark plug and the vavle covers, you move the piston to the very top position(through side cap of crank), once you are sure that it's at the top position you check the valves for free movement(they should be able to move up and down slightly) if they are firm and do not move at all they are too tight. You lossen them just a bit and tighten the nut back up and it should fire right up. Let me know if it works....

Old 06-04-2005, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry for no reply latley, been working too much. Raptor 78, does that require new seals and stuff? Or can I just pop the head right off? I don't want to tear too much up. The work areas in the Grizz's are kinda tight.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

No you don't need to replace anything. The caps have large o-ring type seals on them. Unless they are in bad shape, you shouldn't need to replace them. Remember to make sure that the piston is in the full upright position before checking the valves.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I forgot to mention that you do not remove the "head". You only remove the caps, they are in front and rear of the engine.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

Good, thanks for that info. Hopefully I'll get the chance to work on it today.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Let me know if it worked... My raptor fired up on the first try after I adjusted mine. I had to pull start it(for a while) before and now it fires up on the first try.

Old 06-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

I finally got the little one sleeping long enough for me to work on my quad. I checked the front valves, they felt pretty tight but I'm not sure how they are supposed to be. I loosened them a bit and went from there. Didn't make any diff, I reset them. I pondered on other ideas before going to the backs. I guess the body work is quite different on the Raptors, I could hardly get a wrench on the cap without taking the tank off. I decided to shoot a couple blast's of starter fluid in the carb. It started right up and died shortly after. I did it again and was able to keep it going, and it did blow some crap out. Guess it was just some dirt stuck in there somewhere. Its still going so far. Thanks for all the advise though.

Old 06-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cool... On the raptor the rear two are the exhaust valves and those were the ones that were tight on mine, and I did have to remve the gas tank to get in their. If you still have gunk in their you might want to use Chem tool (sold in any Pep Boys, or Kragen). You put one once per gallon in your gas tank and let it run, it will smoke for a bit until it has burned off all the deposits in the carb, piston, and valves. Hopefullly you won't have any other problems, and at least you got some experience with your machine. Have fun....

Old 06-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

Did you set the crank shaft and use feeler gauges to adjust the valves?

Old 06-10-2005, 02:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

No I didn't use feelers, but I did set the crank. When I adjusted them my freind wich is a bike mechanic walked me through every step. He was the one that physicaly set the valves once I had everything else ready, then showed me how much free play their should be. I've riden my bike on five trips since I adjusted the valves and it's running better than ever. I would definetely recomend using feelers to anyone and I'm sure that I will use them if I adjust them on my own.

Quick Reply: Grizzly 660 won't start !! ??