Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior: No spark, this could help and save $$$

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior: No spark, this could help and save $$$

I bought a 1988 warrior that had no spark and I changed and swaped all electrical parts (ie: cdi, coil, stator, plug, and plug cap) after putting all the original parts back on the bike. Wasted $300 on parts guess I have spares if I ever need them. I got deep into the wiring and found that the blackwire with white stripe going the the cdi was grouding out. To check and see if this will work for you just disconect the connector that the B/W wire goes threw or pull the pin out of one side of the connector. The other wires are not need for spark. (CAUTION: Removing this wire takes out all switches to shut the motor off so only use this to check for spark do not run engine with this wire disconnected you will not be able to turn it off!) After tracing the wire, I spent hours checking every switch one switch at a time I found that key ignition was grounding in the on postion and should be grounding in the off position this was a brand new ignition switch that the previous owner put on. I removed the black wire from the switch and everything works good. The only thing I can't do is shut the motor off by turning the key, but everything else works like it should. Hope this helps! If you use this info please leave your findings on this posting I am trying to compile a detailed trouble shooting guide to make all of our problems easier in the warrior family.

Old 06-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior: No spark, this could help and save $$$

thats a good idea to trace the wires. I have a 98 warrior and I went thru the whole Gyration a couple years ago of rebuilding the motor and replacing all electronics on the entire bike except the stator.... basically it wouldnt start withought bein towed. i replaced the stator and it fires firt roll of the crank everytime. thing with electrical crap is ya just dont know without testing. and if you dont have the equipment to test you end up just havin to buy the whole kit and caboodle. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] My last electrical woah on the warrior a month or so ago was the in-line fuse between one of the relays and the solinoid. wadded up some tinfoil stuffed it in the end and... goood to go [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]