Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why does the biggest baddest new Yamaha need wider axles and A-arms?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2000, 02:49 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fourlix,

They build quads for the majority of the riders. Even if they put wider axels and a-arms, fanatics (myself included) would always find something that would work better. The same goes for motorcross bikes...I have yet to see one that wasn't modified by its gotta go faster owner. In my case my Raptor far out performs my banshee in the handling department and the banshee is a wider, longer machine. There will always be an aftermarket due to the fact that one mans pleasure will always be another mans pain. Its what men do...we make things better!

Everyone get out and vote for some BUSH!

Old 10-11-2000, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider

You missed the boat forlix, what Im trying to say is that these things were not made to get the kind of air that is destroying the axles and arms. No fourwheeler ever was made to. The only cover up is that people are tearing up a new $7000 machine by jumping anything a few feet high and then you are trying to blame the company, most admit some type of failure on their part and still love the bike.
There are aftermarket parts for every quad made. and there are more aftermarket parts made for the 250R than any other quad made so does that mean every 250R should have been tossed for some other more reliable design.
every moron who ever owned a quad can find something to tear up just so they can land a hot new aftermarket piece of supposed higher quality to replace the factory parts.
Im not saying that the upper A-Arms arent weak and neither is the axle, But if you know its a weak piece and your gonna be jumping doubles and coming up short then get ready to buy what you break.

As far as your comments on A-arms, aftermarket A-Arms have more to do with suspension Geometry and travel than width and such. Width could be attained with hubs, spacers, or offset reinforced wheels at a much cheaper price. And by adding in the price of an axle at $289 and $499 A-arms, we are still at $6499 + 788= $7287 so that on Par with the DS. SO for the people who dont go trash the factory setup they save $700+ but those that do pay just the same as every one else who bought a 2001 DS.
My last thing is this, I know you are defensive of what you ride but have you ever been on a raptor? I didnt think so.

Old 10-11-2000, 03:06 AM
Pro Rider

I also agree with Quaden, there is no stability problem, It is only -1 inch on both sides than the 400ex, and I dont see much complaining about its stability. Then look further into the A-Arms on the raptor they are way longer than the Ex's thus fully countering the effects of any narrowness and then some.

Old 10-11-2000, 03:39 AM
Pro Rider

Been on a Raptor? I've never even seen one! I've seen lots of pretty pictures and read good reviews, but it is in this Forum that I hear this intense discussion about finding axles and A-arms.
And, no, Yamaraptor, A-arms are all about stability...without compromising steering geometry, because spacers and offset rims do screw up steering geometry. Increased wheel travel is an added bonus but not the primary reason for wider (+2) and wheelbase lengthening (+1) A-arms.
And Hey Grandpa, spend as much as you'd like
on accessories and modifications, knock yourself out. I just think that we are being served yesterday's hash on a new plate. Meet the new Boss- same as the old Boss. Give us something new,
innovative, something we have to ride for a while before we can figure out ways to improve it. What have these Raptor engineers been doing besides figuring out the greatest accessory list in the history of four-wheelers?
I like Yamahas but I havn't ridden one yet that I wanted. I like the stance and handling of Polaris, despite their severe weight problem. I'd like to ride a DS650, or how about a cross between a sportsman and a Raptor. IRS, auto, under 500 lbs, can we get that cannondale Fuel injection in there too? C'mon you guys, lighten up! I want more. Why are you so happy with the same old s**t. Silly Later,,,,,Fourlix

SP500,EXP425(my 12 year old son's)325Mag
Nothing handles as well as a Polaris, Nothing
rides as well as a Sportsman, (And,alas,nothing else is as heavy)

Old 10-11-2000, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

Too tell you the truth most raptor riders will not want wider a arms.Why?Because this quad is PERFECT for the trails.And I mean PERFECT!!!!!When I had my DS650 I loved everything about it except it was too damm heavy when you got stuck and too DAMM WIDE for trail riding.You no what its like to ride with a bunch of people in the trails trying to keep up while trying to fit between trees or trying to fit somewhere you cant.it sucks.One way to look at it is if you want to race you HAVE to add wider A arms and shocks no matter what quad you have whether it be a 250r,400ex or a Raptor.

Old 10-11-2000, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

So now were comparing Raptors to sportsmans. I don't think anyone wants a wider quad who rides in the woods and trails. Sportsmans are obviously top heavy and too wide for hills and trails in my area. Granted, they do have the smoothest ride and good mudders and an overall nice quad. I get tired of people whining about smooth ride. It's an ATV, not a car. I could see it if you had a bad back or something though.

2000 kodiak 4x4/beige
2000 warn winch
Excavators
alum rear skid plate

Old 10-11-2000, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

There isn't a quad out there that couldn't benefit from Independent Rear Suspension (IRS).
I'm not talking about anvil-weight gearcases like the Sportsman, but a chain-driven lightweight set-up like on the "Stadium Ultralights". No solid axle could survive those repeated jumps. Imagine a dunebuggy with a Chevy live rear axle,it just doesn't work.
Add in the advantages of lowered unsprung weight, spring/shock directly above each hub, and the reduction of side torque on the chassis from when one rear wheel lands before the other or when one rear wheels drops into a ditch or hole, and you have a faster, better handling quad able to handle rougher terrain at higher speeds and able to land jumps without bending axles. This has all been proven before, ATV's are just technically behind. Swingarms are for motorcycles.
And what? you tellin'me you don't want Fuel Injection? Altitude compensating, always jetted just right no matter what the elevation, temperature and barometric pressure?
I think there are a lot of good features that we are only seeing glimpses of that would be great on sport quads and utility quads. Preference
to shift or not is personal. Primitive engineering
and lazy manufacturers is the problem. The Raptor may be "dialed in", but it is not cutting edge technology. Woods riders may like that narrow width, but it is YOU guys that are talking about A-arms and axles. My Sportsman is 48" wide across the back, stock, and though it is tall, it powerslides effortlessly. I just wish it was 200 lbs lighter, it would be that much better. Most of our trails in New Mexico,even in the woods, are wide enough, except for sidehill game trails which no quad can negotiate.
Funny thing is, we all talk about what is wrong with our Quads, even you guys. Polaris are too heavy. We know it, we complain, nothing happens. Aftermarket products seem to solve your problems, but we can't just start drilling holes in our Polaris to trim down.
So why can't we learn and improve from each
other? Nobody sells kits to widen or narrow Polaris, mostly just tires and hot rod parts. I think Polaris got the dimensions right, it is just not an issue. And the handling is second to none, partly because of that wide stance, even on the little Trailboss.
Jenny Craig would make a bundle if she could figure out a line of ultralight Polaris parts!
So if your quad can barely fit through the trees at 42"wide are you sure you want 650cc squeezing you through?
So why not compare Raptors and Sportsmans?
They obviously have good and bad traits. Let's get these manufacturers off their duffs and bring some real innovation into this industry. I HAVE
SEEN THE PROMISED LAND!! I WANT IT ALL AND I WANT IT NOW! or as soon as I've paid off my Sportsman.
Silly Later,,,,,Fourlix

SP500,425EXP,325Mag

Old 10-12-2000, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

That is funny, jump more than a few feet. Why is it that you can jump a p.o.s. Honda with no problems. Well, that is not entirely true. I was at a new track and I cased it harder than ever before on a 45 ft uphill double. Planted all four onto the front face of the landing. Broke the $12 airbox of course, but no swingarm cracking, or bent axles, or accordion a arms. Sad part is that atc250r makes me look like I am riding a quadsport 80, oh yeah, he has a 400ex too.... Oh well, at least I know my quad's limits are far above my rationality limits, so I will always be safe.

Old 10-12-2000, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

speaking of which, my wife jumps her Blaster more than three feet high, granted, she is only 5'3" and about 110lbs. Interesting thought, maybe the Craptor was designed for women.

Old 10-12-2000, 02:32 PM
Trailblazer

Yesterdays Hash? Its an all new machine! If you have never even seen one how are you so judgemental on it. I think it handles fine but my mods will be going into the engine to make it faster. NOTHING is fast enough!

Quick Reply: Why does the biggest baddest new Yamaha need wider axles and A-arms?