Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

04 Grizzly winch mount ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Grizzly winch mount ?

Greetings all,

Earlier this year I picked up a used 2004 Grizzly, however I didn't get an owners or repair manual. I am working on installing a Warn winch and was just wondering which wire to tap into for keyed power to the contactor? Also any suggestions on a good place to locate the contactor? Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

Old 06-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Trailblazer

Don:

Welcome, I'll try to help you. This is for a Warn 2.5 winch:

Alot of people put the contactor under the seat in the storage area which is fine, except that the sharp edges on the controller beat up anything else you store in there including your hands when you try to pull something out. Plus you have drill holes in the plastic.

The best place for the winch control box is under the front hood of a Grizzly. There is plenty of room, it is higher up and out of the water, the wiring is easier, it frees up room under the seat, and, you don't have to drill holes.

Follow the main key switch wires up under the hood. Use a test light to confirm which wire (brown) works with the key "on". Tap in, coil up the remaining wires into the empty area.

You will have to switch the heavy, power wires because of the length difference (red for yellow, black for blue)

PM me if you want some pics to help you along.

Old 06-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks exmxer629, I sent you a PM. - Don

Old 06-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

I like to hook into the pink wire (on some it may be pink w/white stripe) under the front deck lid. It is for the Auxiliary DC jack, and it is protected by its own fuse. It is controled by the ignition key and it will not affect other circuits if the fuse blows.

It looks to me that the brown wire may serve the circuit breaker for the fan motor, something that I wouldn't want to pick up control voltage from.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer

Vakero is right. My Nephew has an 03 Grizz, and his is wired that way, and I have an 05 kodiak 450 and mine is wired that way. Two different dealers installed the winch on two different machines, and they are both hooked up the same way.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again Vakero and PGRSV. Any suggestions on how I can locate this wire. I pulled the front deck off and it is loaded with wire connectors.

Also, any suggestions on where to mount the winch remote control connector? Looks like it need ~1 inch hole drilled into somewhere. Just not sure where would be a good/safe location.

Don

Old 06-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

To find the pink wire you would have to open the wire harness close to the DC Power outlet jack. The harness must be opened enough to find and handle the wire.

I do not like the connectors supplied with the winch. If the pink wire is stripped 1/4 inch the winch control wires can be twisted tightly and soldered strong. After the joint is made it can be tapped and then close the harness back with tape or black wire ties.

The key to that method is good soldering skills. If you do not know how to solder and can't find someone to help it may be best to use the supplied "no strip" tee connectors.

As for the location to mount the winch remote control connector it is up to you. A friend decided to mount his in the front deck lid. With the deck lid off he drilled a one inch hole directly behind the left rear rack bolt mount and in front of the plastic rivet the secures the rear of the deck lid.

Mounting the remote jack in the green plastic under the deck lid the wires were routed and tied in. The deck lid was then cut in an oval pattern so as to let the remote jack protrude.

I was leery of his choice at first but after the job was completed it would be difficult to see it mounted in another location because it looks great and it is a strong protected spot.