Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Which is best for a beginner? YFZ? Z400? KFX400?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 12:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is best for a beginner? YFZ? Z400? KFX400?

I'm not really concerned about the power, like I said, I can handle vehicles in general. But I think my main concern is handling compared to power. I've read alot of forums discuss saying that the Raptor is top heavy and tippy. In a straight shot I assume anyone can handle power, but making those tight turns and being on the learning curve of how to be a good rider makes me not want to go with the biggest and baddest for racing. I haven't really heard anyone say they enjoy going on trails with the YFZ. Thanks for all the info and opinions fellas. It really helps me in choosing, especially since I don't have many friends with quads in this area to try different ones out.

Old 06-14-2005, 01:18 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Originally posted by: imac08
I'm not really concerned about the power, like I said, I can handle vehicles in general. But I think my main concern is handling compared to power. I've read alot of forums discuss saying that the Raptor is top heavy and tippy. In a straight shot I assume anyone can handle power, but making those tight turns and being on the learning curve of how to be a good rider makes me not want to go with the biggest and baddest for racing. I haven't really heard anyone say they enjoy going on trails with the YFZ. Thanks for all the info and opinions fellas. It really helps me in choosing, especially since I don't have many friends with quads in this area to try different ones out.
Not trying to tell you what to get, but the 06 Raptor is wider, and the seat height is lower. Yamaha answered the call of its customers on that note. My brother has the YFZ and so does one of his friends. I have not once heard them complain about riding trails. If you think you dont NEED reverse, or you know you WANT reverse, plays an important factor in this decision. Go to the dealer and ask to ride each each one. After a couple months, you will want more power anyway. So if you do want reverse, look at the Raptor and the Z/KFX400 and if you dont need reverse, look at the yfz. Those are the quads in question.

Old 06-14-2005, 01:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not concerned at all with reverse I don't think. I went in the dunes and it didn't really bother me at all to get off and pull [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Lets say this. They say the Z/KFX is the best all around quad. What advantages then do they have over the YFZ then? Is it just more comfortable? Has anyone gone trail riding for a long time in a YFZ, and tried it on a Z also? Is it that much more comfortable that you'd want to lose the power for more comfort??? Not trying to aruge on your points, just trying to get as much info as I can before I buy. I'm selling my restored 68 Mustang so that I can pay for a quad for me and one for my son. Playing devil's advocate to get all points of view [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2005, 01:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oh as far as the 06 models, I heard they come out in late July or August? I kind of want to get one before then just cuz I'm anxious to start riding. Hopefully I can get a good deal on an 05 model no matter which I choose. Haven't seen too many miracle changes that I can tell in the YFZ or Raptor. But again I am new to quads.

Old 06-14-2005, 06:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, Let me be the first. I love my YFZ on trails! That is what I bought it for almost exclusively. While I will hit the occasional mx track, fast trail riding is what I like best. My personal philosophy is to buy the best handling/ most powerful atv I can. Having said that, you should also know that the YFZ likes to be ridden fast and hard. No doubt you have read plenty of posts that say the suspension works better at speed, and that is very true, the quad is a bit harsh at slower speeds. I am assuming your son is between 5 and 10 years old, and will be riding a mini. Would a YFZ work for you? Heck Yeah!. On the other hand, life will be much easier(and you can save some coin to boot) with a Z/Raptor at mini speeds.

Old 06-14-2005, 11:16 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Originally posted by: imac08
I'm not concerned at all with reverse I don't think. I went in the dunes and it didn't really bother me at all to get off and pull [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Lets say this. They say the Z/KFX is the best all around quad. What advantages then do they have over the YFZ then? Is it just more comfortable? Has anyone gone trail riding for a long time in a YFZ, and tried it on a Z also? Is it that much more comfortable that you'd want to lose the power for more comfort??? Not trying to aruge on your points, just trying to get as much info as I can before I buy. I'm selling my restored 68 Mustang so that I can pay for a quad for me and one for my son. Playing devil's advocate to get all points of view [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
About the only thing I like the Z/KFX for is the overall balance of the machine, other than that, I'd take the yfz anyday. They might be a little more comfortable than the YFZ, but that never bothered me, especially after you open the yfz up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] No reverse....... go YFZ all day bud. Ask all the questions and make all the comments you want, its your money. You definetly dont want to spend 6-7000 or more on something you will not be satisfied with. Who says a newbie cant handle a yfz450?? Maybe some kid wont be able to, but you will. Like I said, just ease into it.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Do you HAVE to get rid of the stang?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2005, 11:43 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you can't ride both to decide, I guess your best bet is to read what's in hear, and do a search, read the good reviews that aren't biased, and try and think what would be best for you.

Personally, I would only by a 450 for a race bike, maybe a duner but Im not a dune rider so I don't know. My trail riding might be a little different than yours or like Dumass's, but the YFZ is a little to low and wide for the tighter technical riding I ride. This is just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't want one as a trail machine. But if your not riding tighter trails, either one would be fine. My way of looking at it, you can have a little more performance with the YFZ, or you can have a little more comfort and reliability with the Z400. My best advice would be to think about what you would be happy with in the long run.

Old 06-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Best lunch hour ever!

Good points Motox.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

Another way too look at it if you get a Z the MSRP is 5799 and the MSRP for the YFZ is 6899 so if money isn't a factor i'd get the YFZ or if you like the Z better there is plenty of aftermarket things out there to help you keep up with the YFZ.. So all i am sayin is its your money and just buy what you like.. I dont think you could go wrong either way[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-15-2005, 02:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, can't afford to keep all toys [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Plus I have a one car garage.. so need the space for either the quads or the Mustang. Have had it since 96, and I've done my fair share of trophy winnings with it at car shows... so its on to the next adventure....
....I went to look at a YFZ today and sat down on it....started hopping on it... pretending had the wind flowing through my hair.... LOL j/k.... but man its a sweet looking bike....and it feels right.... so I'm going to try to find a Suzuki dealer nearby tomorrow. If it doesn't blow me away with how it feels (as far as stance and where the handle bars are and all that) then I think I am gonna go for the YFZ. what the hell... you only live once.. Not too many Cali people in these forums, but if there are any, is $7200 out the door a good price for the 2005 SE YFZ?? I haven't been able to find a better price here in Northern Cali.

Quick Reply: Which is best for a beginner? YFZ? Z400? KFX400?