Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Return Of The Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2000, 03:29 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after just over a week in the shop I got my Raptor back tonight. They installed a brand new motor. Now I need to ride slow and break it in right. If this engine goes like the last one I will be screaming at yamaha ; )

Took it for a ride briefly this evening and the engine seems much noisier than the previous motor. Even after riding my banshee all weekend I noticed this....hope its all ok! Plan on running at least 3-4 tanks of gas before taking it out to the sand this weekend. Anyone got any tips on how to set it up so it will keep up with the banshees and DS's? My previous trip told me It needed something as even my 140 LB son was getting beat on it ; )

Old 10-10-2000, 08:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider

In reading most of your previous posts....it seems like you will never be happy with the Raptor you own. Why don't you sell it?

Old 10-10-2000, 03:55 PM
Range Rover

grandpa

forget what garyc660r said , run it in the correct way and go make some dust.

paul

Old 10-10-2000, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

Grandpa, I can't understand how they got you a "new motor" so fast. My dealer doesn't even have the microfiche for parts numbers yet, so how can they replace parts that are not yet published and available?

Something is not right with your machine. Don't know if it happened before you got it or what. If the motor doesn't seem right, sell it now and buy a new one that you know is new.

Old 10-10-2000, 04:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I'll have to agree with you Paul. I would probably be just as pissed if I would have had the bad luck Grandpa has. Hang in there Grandpa...you will be praising your ride before you know it!

Old 10-10-2000, 04:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Good point...one has to wonder if that is the same engine (just fixed for the moment).

Old 10-10-2000, 05:29 PM
Trailblazer

I also agree with pairof98's. Your quad sounds like it is a lemon. You could sell it and get a new one. It might be a little more money but you won't have to worry about it breaking on you. My brother had a truck that was a real lemon every time you would turn around it was broken, and he took it to the shop, for a bout the 5th time, picked it up and on the way home from the shop it broke down again so he sold it.

Old 10-10-2000, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

Due to limited parts they probably crated up an entire new engine and sent it to his dealer, not trying to rebuild the engine, they probably needed the old one to find out if it is a problem they need to correct on any other machines and are anylyzing this failure.

Old 10-11-2000, 02:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have had my Raptor for 4 weeks now and have over
40 hours and a 30 mile h/s race on it.
i have bent the rear axle jumping it extreamly to high and let a buddy ride it and he managed to bend the upper A-Arm but all & all its the best
4 stroke quad on the market today!!
all quads have had there problems so fix the weak
links and go on

Mods to date:
Twist trottle
Bars
MSR clutch lever
Ebrake blockoff
Air box
ITP T9 Racing wheels
bandits front & shredders rear

Old 10-11-2000, 02:37 AM
Trailblazer

The dealer originally told me 2-4 weeks for parts to fix the motor and stunned me when they said it was done. They said yamaha shipped a total engine to them so they could simply pull the old one and put in the new. I managed to ride for about 4 hours today and the engine noise I heard earlier seems to have "left the building" and got smoother as the day went on. I just love how this baby handles! I am going to ride it every day for about 4 hours with care to break it in right before hitting the dunes on Saturday. I sure hope the previous problem was simply a fluke as I really do love the machine and I really don't want to have to explain why it has a new engine already to a prospective buyer ; )

Quick Reply: Return Of The Raptor